those little golf carts at MSP

Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

those little golf carts at MSP

I have a 35 minute connection at MSP next week and from what i've seen with these flights the last few days, i'll need to go between F12 to G22 which is quite a long walk.

I'm in C+ when I land at MSP and am able bodied, but it still seems like i'll be pretty rushed, especially with even the tiniest delay or a bathroom stop.

Previous trips through MSP i've noted some golf carts driving around the airport, presumably helping people with connections. Thought this might be helpful for me but I cant find much online.

Do I have to reserve this in advance? Would being able bodied prevent me from making a reservation?
Or - do they just run on fixed routes and if i can find one going my way i can hop on. If thats the case is there a schedule anywhere for them?

Is there a cost associated with this? I'd think a $5 tip is appropriate for the driver but am curious if there was an additional fee.

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Just flag down a cart and tell them you have a close connection. Carts are everywhere in the airport and easy to find. They are free, with tips appreciated. $5.00 is pretty standard.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:21 am

I would advise you to start walking to you destination and possibly flag down a cart. I wouldn't wait at the gate for one even if you have one listed on your reservation. There are only so many carts at MSP, and even if you request one it's not a guaranteed thing.

And often times the concourses are just busy enough that I don't see the carts moving much faster than I am with a brisk walking pace on the moving walkways.

35 minutes should be plenty of time for that walk. The app says 11 minutes, and there are moving walkways nearly the entire length of G. You're not going to have time to doddle, but if everything is on time I wouldn't worry about it if you are able bodied.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Their primary duty is for disabled passengers. If they're free they can help others. Thus no method for you to reserve one.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of them are signposted for particular concourses. As you walk from F to G, there's an area between the two concourses with a bunch of handicapped seats on your right. [It's just beyond the entrance to Chili's restaurant, but I'm not sure whether Chili's has been enhanced away and replaced by some other airport F&B place; lots of longstanding restaurants and bars at MSP have been disappearing recently, including Syrduk's wine and deli.] That's a good place to find a cart if you didn't manage to catch one in F.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by FC flyer
Just flag down a cart and tell them you have a close connection. Carts are everywhere in the airport and easy to find. They are free, with tips appreciated. $5.00 is pretty standard.
Originally Posted by kop84
I would advise you to start walking to you destination and possibly flag down a cart.
I have done this several times, always with a $5 tip. The drivers seemingly love helping people get to tight connections. The ride can be better than a Kennywood coaster.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Their primary duty is for disabled passengers.
This statement is patently false. There is no such rule. I've asked the drivers several times, both in MSP and ATL. If a passenger needs a wheelchair, it can be requested. That's what disabled passengers should do. The electric carts are for anyone with a special need requiring an electric cart, including someone having trouble walking, dealing with carry-ons or needing to get to a gate faster than legs can move.

OP, why someone would try to make you feel guilty for using a cart by making up fake rules is beyond me. Ignore the wrong statement and don't think twice about taking a cart.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thus no method for you to reserve one.
FWIW I once sent a Twitter DM to request one when I wasn't even traveling -- it was for mom and 2 friends who had a connection from something like F to A/B. Twitter said they'd make a note but no guarantees, although Mom said there was a cart waiting when they deplaned. Still could have been a coincidence though, they do seem relatively frequent.

So it can't hurt to ask.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I have done this several times, always with a $5 tip. The drivers seemingly love helping people get to tight connections. The ride can be better than a Kennywood coaster.

This statement is patently false. There is no such rule. I've asked the drivers several times, both in MSP and ATL. If a passenger needs a wheelchair, it can be requested. That's what disabled passengers should do. The electric carts are for anyone with a special need requiring an electric cart, including someone having trouble walking, dealing with carry-ons or needing to get to a gate faster than legs can move.

OP, why someone would try to make you feel guilty for using a cart by making up fake rules is beyond me. Ignore the wrong statement and don't think twice about taking a cart.
Never tried to make them feel sorry. BTW the carts are primary for disabled as i said. However as long as not handling disabled passenger they will assist.

You've been pointed out for being blatantly wrong in your call outs, post supporting documents that contradict what you're saying, and then disappear to appear again with ridiculous accusations yet again. What's most tiring is that everything you complain about generally comes down to being a YMMV difference. However only what you heard is correct. Since you have an unnatural belief in everything being posted online, here's a link. Read the section on carts.

https://www.mspairport.com/airport/a...ility/mobility

Finally special needs does not mean, " I have a tight connection."
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. If I can find one I'll take it. I'm 36 and in okay shape but msp is huge so I'd assume not everyone using it is in a wheelchair.

Certainly im not going to throw some 90 year old woman off the cart in order to make my connection, but good to know the driver will gladly allow me and my carry on to join him on his ride.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Dear OP -

I'm glad you asked the question. I had a broken foot on my last connection through there, but I didn't know if I'd be eligible to ride a cart (broken with a boot means I can still hobble quite quickly), even if I knew how to request one. This has helped me a lot. Thanks to everyone who asked.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
BTW the carts are primary for disabled as i said.
I cite facts, so there is no reason to argue. Please show any cite that says these are limited to disabled passengers. I've asked. I've looked at the MSP site. Wheelchairs are available for the disabled and can be ordered in advance. The carts are for those who need them. Nowhere does it limit or give preference too those with a disability. The people who write the rules know that word and did not use it in relation to carts. Just because you want it to be the rule does not magically make the word appear.

Please stop trying to drag me into a fight. Just provide citations if you think you are correct. I will gladly apologize if I'm wrong, but in this case, there is no limitation or preference as you state. I've asked enough times, done this enough times and looked at the MSP website.

Favorite Story: ATL, connection when there was a direct flight to Reno. Last week of flight. It was taking off from towards the end of Concourse E. Jumped on cart, explained to the driver. As we got to the gate, the agent was closing the Jetway. The cart driver yelled to the GA and convinced him to open the door. The agent brought me down the Jetway and knocked on the closed plane door. The FA opened the door a crack and started to argue with the GA. The GA pushed me through the crack. I literally fell into the plane. The FA laughed and told me I owed the agent big time. I saw him about two weeks later and asked his name so I could send a note to DL. He told me not to notify DL because he would get in trouble.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some of them are signposted for particular concourses. As you walk from F to G, there's an area between the two concourses with a bunch of handicapped seats on your right. [It's just beyond the entrance to Chili's restaurant, but I'm not sure whether Chili's has been enhanced away and replaced by some other airport F&B place; lots of longstanding restaurants and bars at MSP have been disappearing recently, including Syrduk's wine and deli.] That's a good place to find a cart if you didn't manage to catch one in F.
Chili’s is long gone. It’s now Stone Arch, which specializes in beers but also has a pretty good food menu. There’s still a place near it for cart pick up as well as one nearby at the elevator outside the SkyClub.

OP, IIRC there is a cart and wheelchair station about the midpoint of the F concourse, on the left as you’re going towards the center mall of MSP. If there isn’t a cart at your gate, check at that midpoint for a cart; there is usually someone there to help people get carts/wheelchairs.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
There are also what appear to be periodic stops along each concourse with an overhead sign that looks like a blue stop sign.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I cite facts, so there is no reason to argue. Please show any cite that says these are limited to disabled passengers. I've asked. I've looked at the MSP site. Wheelchairs are available for the disabled and can be ordered in advance. The carts are for those who need them. Nowhere does it limit or give preference too those with a disability. The people who write the rules know that word and did not use it in relation to carts. Just because you want it to be the rule does not magically make the word appear.

Please stop trying to drag me into a fight. Just provide citations if you think you are correct. I will gladly apologize if I'm wrong, but in this case, there is no limitation or preference as you state. I've asked enough times, done this enough times and looked at the MSP website.

Favorite Story: ATL, connection when there was a direct flight to Reno. Last week of flight. It was taking off from towards the end of Concourse E. Jumped on cart, explained to the driver. As we got to the gate, the agent was closing the Jetway. The cart driver yelled to the GA and convinced him to open the door. The agent brought me down the Jetway and knocked on the closed plane door. The FA opened the door a crack and started to argue with the GA. The GA pushed me through the crack. I literally fell into the plane. The FA laughed and told me I owed the agent big time. I saw him about two weeks later and asked his name so I could send a note to DL. He told me not to notify DL because he would get in trouble.
I never said they would never provide service. I did say that disabled passengers are what they're there for. Thus passenger on a tight connection is second to disabled passengers.

As for a fight you're the one that keeps attacking me. However like a bully its never your fault and you're never wrong. I would love nothing more then to have a civil discussion with you. However your MO repeats, start out attacking, say I'm wrong, and then get upset when I call you on it. I then prove my point, disprove yours, or show your supporting evidence doesn't say what you say it said. You disappear. On top of this you have an unnatural obsession that unless its published online it isn't true. Even Wikipedia understands that not everything resides in online format and what does isn't always correct.

FYI I did provide a link for you. Also last time i went through MSP the carts had a handicap symbol on the front of the cart.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I'm somewhat handicapped and so is the wife. These carts generally idle at end points of as concourse and track incoming flights depending on load. In other words if no large number of incoming flights the carts will be somewhere near TSA as you head to a concourse.

If large load from flights are expected they will be near the runway end of a concourse.

Since their primary purpose is hauling handicaps, they will wait until either the plane has emptied or the cart is full. Thus don't rely on them to get somewhere fastest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.