Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First Red Eye - Where to change, how to pack etc.

Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

This is my first red eye (SFO-IAD) where I need to do a presentation at the other end. My flight arrives at IAD at 5:30am.

Since, I will leave 12 hours later to Europe I can use a lounge.
The Turkish lounge opens at 6am so I guess I'll shower and change then or are the shower facilities better at SFO?

How should I pack what I'm going to wear when I touch down. Should I just wear it or pack it.

Any other tips?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Honestly for a TCON red eye I would just baby wipe it. I don't feel that grimey after 5 hours as long as I can wipe down and change into fresh underwear. But, assuming you have a few hours to kill then go for the shower.
I'm not sure your industry but I would try to keep your business clothes as presentable at arrival (assuming it's suit/tie).

A shower before your flight to EU would be nice once you are done and back at the airport.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Honestly for a TCON red eye I would just baby wipe it. I don't feel that grimey after 5 hours as long as I can wipe down and change into fresh underwear. But, assuming you have a few hours to kill then go for the shower.
I'm not sure your industry but I would try to keep your business clothes as presentable at arrival (assuming it's suit/tie).

A shower before your flight to EU would be nice once you are done and back at the airport.
Thanks and just to be sure ...

I leave SFO at 9:30pm arrive IAD at 5:27am + 1 leave IAD at 5:40pm + 1 for Europe

So I can access the *A lounges at SFO before my flight, at IAD in the morning and the evening right? It's all on one ticket so I won't need to collect my baggage right?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
Thanks and just to be sure ...

I leave SFO at 9:30pm arrive IAD at 5:27am + 1 leave IAD at 5:40pm + 1 for Europe

So I can access the *A lounges at SFO before my flight, at IAD in the morning and the evening right? It's all on one ticket so I won't need to collect my baggage right?
While I've never showered in the Turkish lounge (but have been there multiple times), the Lufthansa lounge is nice as well. Since it sounds like you have a lot of time to kill, why not check them both out.

If you're flying business, then you have access. Or if you're *G, then yes. Or if you're Priority Pass for Turkish.

Yes, if it's all on one ticket you won't need to collect your baggage.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
LH lounge doesn't open until 8:20, while TK opens at 6AM.

I haven't used the TK shower either, but I noticed it was a nice setup. Should be perfect for a quick shower before heading out to a presentation.

And then either TK or LH lounge in the afternoon / evening, for another shower before heading to Europe. Perfect. (This all assumes you have access; see above post)

As for packing, assuming that your large luggage will be checked through from SFO to Europe, I would probably wear the suit on the flight, taking off the jacket once boarded. (If flying in Domestic First, they will have a closet to hang up for you to keep fresh).

I would pack fresh underclothes, and possibly a fresh dress shirt, in my small, carry-on bag. This, along with some basic toiletries, should be fine for the quick shower.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
There are no showers at SFO lounges so if you've been working all day and want to shower before the red-eye there is Freshen Up which is in the INTL check-in area on the UA/G terminal side.
https://www.flysfo.com/content/showers
You can go through security right next to it when you finish and then walk through the connector to your gate.

Also, I always fly red-eye or long haul with baby wipes.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
You can take the morning shower at TK and afternoon shower at LH. I am very sure that you will say that the LH shower facility is much better than that at TK. TK shower is very small; there is no toilet or sink inside the shower room.
Good luck.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Just confirming that you have lounge access via status (*G) or class of service F or J.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
If this is your first red-eye where you need to be alert for business on arrival, consider maximizing your sleep time on the plane. Eat in SFO (light meal), bring eye-shades and noise canceling headphones, as well as a neck pillow (SFO-IAD doesn't provide the same amenities as SFO-EWR/BOS). Avoid caffeinated or carbonated beverages. On landing, head immediately for the lounge, in case there ends up being a wait for the showers.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Just confirming that you have lounge access via status (*G) or class of service F or J.
Yes, I'm *A gold and on international transit.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
... where you need to be alert for business on arrival, consider maximizing your sleep time on the plane. Eat in SFO (light meal), bring eye-shades and noise canceling headphones, as well as a neck pillow ...
^ Excellent advice! I do all the above things whenever I make a kamikaze trip to the east coast (same evening return to LAX). Eye shades and headphones are essential for me, because I don't want to be bothered at all by the lights and meal/beverage service. With the eye shades and earphones, I can basically isolate myself after the safety video, and be asleep before takeoff.

I'll add that on redeye flights, I dress very casually -- sweatpants and a hoodie. I put on my shirt, tie, and pants in the lounge restroom. A shower would be awesome, but I usually don't have the opportunity, so I've gotten used to a face wash with lukewarm water.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
If this is your first red-eye where you need to be alert for business on arrival, consider maximizing your sleep time on the plane. Eat in SFO (light meal), bring eye-shades and noise canceling headphones, as well as a neck pillow (SFO-IAD doesn't provide the same amenities as SFO-EWR/BOS). Avoid caffeinated or carbonated beverages. On landing, head immediately for the lounge, in case there ends up being a wait for the showers.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
^ Excellent advice! I do all the above things whenever I make a kamikaze trip to the east coast (same evening return to LAX). Eye shades and headphones are essential for me, because I don't want to be bothered at all by the lights and meal/beverage service. With the eye shades and earphones, I can basically isolate myself after the safety video, and be asleep before takeoff.

I'll add that on redeye flights, I dress very casually -- sweatpants and a hoodie. I put on my shirt, tie, and pants in the lounge restroom. A shower would be awesome, but I usually don't have the opportunity, so I've gotten used to a face wash with lukewarm water.
+1 to the advice. I find earplugs are much better than noise cancelling headphones, but the eyeshade might be the most important. Comfortable clothing on the plane and changing into the right clothes on land is also important.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
If you are flying United out of SFO AND you have an Amex Platinum, you can use the Centurion lounge and shower there.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I have showered at both TK and LH. TK is definitely worse: the towels they provide are paper-thin and tiny, and the room gets incredibly hot with the shower on. I prefer TK for food/drink/ambience, but in the morning for your shower I would 100% head to LH.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:03 pm

What class of service is your red eye? In F, you can hang your suit jacket up, if you have one. Make sure you grab a window seat regardless, so you don't end up disturbed by a seatmate headed to the bathroom.

I fly TCON frequently. I find the 5 hour flight not long enough to do any significant sleeping, and always end up groggier on the other end than I expect. These days, the only red eyes I'll take are the Saturday night ones so I can zombie around DC on Sunday and then be ready and alert Monday.

If I had to give a presentation within a few hours of landing, I'd just rely on caffeine to get me through it and fall asleep as soon as I boarded the flight to Europe. If I didn't have to give the presentation until mid-afternoon, I'd check in to the airport Marriott and sleep as long as I could, before getting up and showering there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.