GPUs not being redeposited

Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Elite, HHonors Diamond
GPUs not being redeposited

Hello All,

I have discovered that there are occasions when GPUs do not get redeposited when the upgrade is waitlisted or when you change a flight where you have already been upgraded.

I first noticed this a few days ago when I went from 6 GPUs to zero and I know I wasn't upgraded 6 times. I called the 1K number and the agent confirmed that not all my GPUs had been replaced and she did it manually over the phone. It is apparently the gate agents job to replace the unused GPU if you don't get upgraded at boarding. The agent also admitted it's a flaw in the UA system and it seems crazy that the system doesn't do this automatically. The other situation where this can happen is if you change a flight you already been upgraded on, the agent said this was a bug pure and simple and UA knew about it.

I did a little more research and it appears that another GPUs from last year went "missing" too but I've had no luck in getting them reinstated as yet.

The agent said the best course of action is to call up after every failed GPU or change of flight where you have been upgraded.

Maybe this is widely know but I didn't know.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have had problems with GPUs this year in situations you have described, and a couple of others. It is a new problem for me this year, as have not had an issue with GPUs getting "lost/misplaced" before this year.

I now monitor my GPUs and you also need to monitor the refund for the LHR airport tax if the GPU does not work, and yes many of the agents are aware of this - well at least when I call about them they do not act surprised.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by ReallyUpInTheAir
Hello All,

I have discovered that there are occasions when GPUs do not get redeposited when the upgrade is waitlisted or when you change a flight where you have already been upgraded.

I first noticed this a few days ago when I went from 6 GPUs to zero and I know I wasn't upgraded 6 times. I called the 1K number and the agent confirmed that not all my GPUs had been replaced and she did it manually over the phone. It is apparently the gate agents job to replace the unused GPU if you don't get upgraded at boarding. The agent also admitted it's a flaw in the UA system and it seems crazy that the system doesn't do this automatically. The other situation where this can happen is if you change a flight you already been upgraded on, the agent said this was a bug pure and simple and UA knew about it.

I did a little more research and it appears that another GPUs from last year went "missing" too but I've had no luck in getting them reinstated as yet.

The agent said the best course of action is to call up after every failed GPU or change of flight where you have been upgraded.

Maybe this is widely know but I didn't know.
Welcome to FT!

Just need to be aware, sometime you get a good agent and they address the GPU being redeposit and sometimes not. Just go to "my account" and take a peek after each transaction that you may have a concern with and that's the best way to keep a proper accounting. Mileage Plus Service Center will always accommodate as well.. In the end.. Keep self auditing..
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Welcome to FT!

Just need to be aware, sometime you get a good agent and they address the GPU being redeposit and sometimes not. Just go to "my account" and take a peek after each transaction that you may have a concern with and that's the best way to keep a proper accounting. Mileage Plus Service Center will always accommodate as well.. In the end.. Keep self auditing..
Good suggestion. I just checked my account and I am 6 GPUs short. Will call in the morning to get them redeposited. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Always keep the email confirmation of the GPU being used (upgrade confirmed or not) - it has the GPU certificate number - which will help with retrieving it back when it goes missing
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Always keep the email confirmation of the GPU being used (upgrade confirmed or not) - it has the GPU certificate number - which will help with retrieving it back when it goes missing
I have only seen the GPU certificate number when trying to upgrade a LH flight- never when upgrading a UA flight.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by sannmann
I have only seen the GPU certificate number when trying to upgrade a LH flight- never when upgrading a UA flight.
I agree never seen a certificate # for GPU's when traveling on UA..
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think the process is just distressingly manual. Once, I called to get an RPU revoked (un-do the upgrade). The agent processed it, but said I had to call back when MPSC was open to get the RPU back.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Yes, this is more the rule than the exception. Typically I spend a few hours with Mileage Plus on the phone once a quarter or so to collect all RPUs and GPUs back that re missing in action. For some reasons the global services desk cannot help with this. They need about 15 min to reinstate each certificate.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Terence.Hill
...For some reasons the global services desk cannot help with this....
The Mileage Plus Service Center (MPSC) actually has to do the re-deposit. The agents you reach on a GS/1K/Premier/whatever line and talk to about a re-deposit must in turn contact the MPSC to have it done. Usually they tell you they're putting you on hold while they're contacting the MPSC.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Terence.Hill
They need about 15 min to reinstate each certificate.
Wow you've had really bad agent luck. I find most MPSC agents can redeposit a GPU in less than a minute.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So been a while since a GPU needed to be redeposited. Used to RPUs being redeposited and it happens pretty much when the UG does not clear. Am guessing there is a different system for GPUs. Will not bother them now due to current travel waivers in force and long wait times for CS phone operators.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So been a while since a GPU needed to be redeposited. Used to RPUs being redeposited and it happens pretty much when the UG does not clear. Am guessing there is a different system for GPUs. Will not bother them now due to current travel waivers in force and long wait times for CS phone operators.
I just called to change my Sunday evening flight to SFO for one earlier in the day, as I need be back by Monday and it appears the GDP will still be going Sunday. The 1K line gave me the 'call will be answered in the order it was received' as it often does (when routing to the regular Premier desk?), but I wound up waiting only about 10 seconds. (The agent also gave '1K desk' as the welcome, and then closed by thanking me for being a Platinum member. I said nothing to that, as it sounded pretty hectic in the background! )

However, for a certificate redeposit, I find it easiest to email. Just include which flight / itinerary it was applied to, and they'll figure it out.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
However, for a certificate redeposit, I find it easiest to email. Just include which flight / itinerary it was applied to, and they'll figure it out.
Agreed. A quick Email with PNR and what you need sent to MP ... easy resolution. Better than spending time on the phone for sure!
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 16, 2018 at 7:50 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So been a while since a GPU needed to be redeposited. Used to RPUs being redeposited and it happens pretty much when the UG does not clear. Am guessing there is a different system for GPUs. ....
No difference for GPUs, likely to return automatically. Sometimes gets hung if irrops or schedule changes, if so, calling or emailing works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.