Wiki Posts
Search

New rule on double alcohol servings?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
New rule on double alcohol servings?

Like many on this site, I often ask for two glasses of wine with my meal in Y on TATL flights--and have always received this, on dozens of flights in the last few years since I started asking. (The reason is that it takes a good 45 minutes for the FA to come back for refills, at which point my meal is cold.)

A few weeks ago, JFK-TXL, the FA refused. I asked if this was a new policy, and she replied that it is "how she likes to do it" AND "how DL wants her to do it." I responded that those are two very different things, but let the matter go.

I assume that this was the FA's own personal policy, not a new DL policy. But does anyone know for sure? If it's a new DL policy--or an old one that is now being enforced--that will make a difference in whether I ask for it in the future.

FWIW, there was no drink/snack service before dinner (in my experience DL has abolished this on all JFK-EU flights in Y for several years now), so it's not as if the FA had already served me a drink. Nor, in fact, had I had one anywhere else that day. Also, ironically, when I went back to the galley about three hours later to get a Woodford's to help me sleep a different FA handed me four of them....
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've never been turned down on a double request....as long as you don't appear intoxicated it shouldn't be an issue (not saying your were at all but that is how DL tells their staff to act on declining service). I've had rogue AA FAs make up their own rules too.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:07 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, I've been seeing missing pre-flight beverage service recently (MSY-LAX), and also no pre-meal beverage either. Wasn't sure if it was just the flight or if it's a change in service standard....

I think it depends on the FA with drinks. My last Baileys on ice was like a triple or quad since it was to the brim (no complaints!).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ryanm
FWIW, there was no drink/snack service before dinner (in my experience DL has abolished this on all JFK-EU flights in Y for several years now), so it's not as if the FA had already served me a drink.
I've flown DL from EWR/JFK/BOS-AMS/CDG/LHR a handful of times over the past few years, and I'm pretty sure they've come through with peanuts/pretzels and drinks before serving dinner in Y.

Maybe you've just had bad luck? That, or my brain is doing some revisionist history on me (also possible...).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Unless my 100% sober self reads as drunk, I can't imagine I came across as intoxicated....

As for the pre-meal snack/beverage, that service remains on all the EU-JFK flights I've been on recently; it's only the JFK-EU ones that have axed it. (Not sure about longer eastbound TATL flights, such as ex ATL.)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cory6188
I've flown DL from EWR/JFK/BOS-AMS/CDG/LHR a handful of times over the past few years, and I'm pretty sure they've come through with peanuts/pretzels and drinks before serving dinner in Y.

Maybe you've just had bad luck? That, or my brain is doing some revisionist history on me (also possible...).
I wouldn't rule out bad luck on my part, but I know I haven't had it on DL metal on any JFK-LHR/AMS/CDG/TXL flight in the last two or three years--sample size probably about a dozen eastbound, TATL flights ex JFK.

Maybe one difference is time of departure? I tend to prefer flights leaving after 6:30 or 7, even 8 or so, so maybe one factor is DL wanting to get the service done faster so they can turn the lights out.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ryanm
As for the pre-meal snack/beverage, that service remains on all the EU-JFK flights I've been on recently; it's only the JFK-EU ones that have axed it. (Not sure about longer eastbound TATL flights, such as ex ATL.)
Oh, hmmm, maybe it's the return flights I'm thinking of and I'm just associating it with all of my TATL flights.

Maybe someone else can chime on on this one to help add to the sample size.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just because FA will hand out 2 at a time doesn't mean DL wants it that way. Gor simple legal reasons, i bet DL policy is 1 at a time. Some will give two, but doesn't change policy.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'd put money on this being a MN based former NWA FA. I'm from MN but have been on the west coast for years and now when I go back it's really so surprising to me how rule obsessed people are there. There is a kind of passive aggressive morality that is in the culture, and it rears it's head especially in moments like this when people go on little power trips. Little things like this really irritate me.

Maybe you should have taken this as an invitation to be very liberal with the FA call button.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just because FA will hand out 2 at a time doesn't mean DL wants it that way. Gor simple legal reasons, i bet DL policy is 1 at a time. Some will give two, but doesn't change policy.
Policy allows up to 2 at a time.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'd put money on this being a MN based former NWA FA. I'm from MN but have been on the west coast for years and now when I go back it's really so surprising to me how rule obsessed people are there. There is a kind of passive aggressive morality that is in the culture, and it rears it's head especially in moments like this when people go on little power trips. Little things like this really irritate me.

Maybe you should have taken this as an invitation to be very liberal with the FA call button.
Hehe--yes, I thought of that, but as the same FA was on the side of the cart closer to me I'm sure I would have gotten her again.

I didn't note where the FAs were based. But as far as these things go, I've also noticed some anti-alcohol attitude out of ATL FAs, including one, in J on MUC-ATL, who made a grand gesture of sighing whenever a pax asked for an alcoholic drink to go with the second meal (causing some confused German businessmen behind me to postulate that they were only supposed to drink at lunch in America, not later in the day--which is probably the worst advice about drinking in professional settings I could imagine for Europeans coming to the US).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Having an issue with people drinking alcohol and being an FA is a really bad combination. Flying is extremely stressful and in coach highly uncomfortable. I would venture to say that on a long haul flight that a majority of pax are either drinking or using prescription drugs to cope with the conditions. It just goes with the territory.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:42 pm
THR

^ Absolutely agree. I know i have a couple before take-off to take the edge off it because I'm a nervous flyer.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Policy allows up to 2 at a time.
I could be wrong, but i thought DL prefers 1, but allows an FA to use discretion to serve 2. Allows 2, doesn't mean that if a passenger requests two they have to be served two. Some think that because DL will allow 2, they have to be given 2 if they ask.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:03 pm

9 out of 10 times when I order a drink with 2 mini's and a mixer, I'm happily handed the order. The few times it doesn't happen tends to be with SLC-based crews (draw your own conclusions). I prefer this because it allows me to have the right mix and also not have to bother for another refill as quickly. It's a win-win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.