Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why won't American offer rebooking on Amtrak?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

For the second time in a few months, I have had a northeast corridor flight cancel (today it is WAS to LGA, before it was PHL to LGA). Both times, I was rebooked on flights the next morning. Both times, Amtrak and Acela trains were available to get passengers back to the city that night. For O&D customers like me, this option often makes more sense. Why not provide it as an option in IRROPs? It would make the passenger strain on the airline easier by offloading customers while getting people home faster.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
For the second time in a few months, I have had a northeast corridor flight cancel (today it is WAS to LGA, before it was PHL to LGA). Both times, I was rebooked on flights the next morning. Both times, Amtrak and Acela trains were available to get passengers back to the city that night. For O&D customers like me, this option often makes more sense. Why not provide it as an option in IRROPs? It would make the passenger strain on the airline easier by offloading customers while getting people home faster.
As soon as the IRROPs occur couldn't you just cancel/refund your ticket on AA and book one on the next Amtrak service that you could make?

Furthermore, if O&D with these city pairs, surely it would make far more sense just to book an Acela to begin with, especially between NY and Philly. I suppose the case could be made for flying NY-DC, but I would still personally take the train 100% of the time. All three NY airports tend to be a constant cluster* when it comes to... well pretty much anything.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:09 pm

Plus, as the phantom inventory thread shows...

AA can't even handle booking AA!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cmd320
As soon as the IRROPs occur couldn't you just cancel/refund your ticket on AA and book one on the next Amtrak service that you could make?

Furthermore, if O&D with these city pairs, surely it would make far more sense just to book an Acela to begin with, especially between NY and Philly. I suppose the case could be made for flying NY-DC, but I would still personally take the train 100% of the time. All three NY airports tend to be a constant cluster* when it comes to... well pretty much anything.
cancelling does make sense - how does a cancellation work when I am flying on an Avios award ticket?

I generally prefer Amtrak, but last minute prices on Amtrak are much more expensive than Avios redemptions at 7,500 miles
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
cancelling does make sense - how does a cancellation work when I am flying on an Avios award ticket?

I generally prefer Amtrak, but last minute prices on Amtrak are much more expensive than Avios redemptions at 7,500 miles
Ahh, I understand.

Not sure what the exact policy is for Avios refunds during IRROPs.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Ahh, I understand.

We are about to find out as I'm sitting on Acela and am asking for a refund from American
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

I don't know Avios refund cancellation procedures, either, but I know the U.S. DOT has jurisdiction on flights departing U.S. points, and the DOT says one is owed a refund of 'fare' + government taxes and government fees in the event of a flight cancellation.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We are about to find out as I'm sitting on Acela and am asking for a refund from American
If you booked using Avios, you need to go back to BA or Avios for the refund. AA will not be able to refund it
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you booked using Avios, you need to go back to BA or Avios for the refund. AA will not be able to refund it
I can imagine this this being an issue as I'm sure BA will claim that AA is the cancelling party, so they should be issuing the refund

What's even more thorny is that my rebooked flight at 6 AM tomorrow is now in a revenge bucket (I could tell because I could request a mileage upgrade for the flight).

I posed the question to AA, waiting for a response. As soon as I get to NYC I'll cancel officially
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
When I was just out of college in 02 I thought I remember certain acella/shuttle tickets were interchangeable. Maybe it was just F class tickets, but I'm sure I remember hearing that.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't know Avios refund cancellation procedures, either, but I know the U.S. DOT has jurisdiction on flights departing U.S. points, and the DOT says one is owed a refund of 'fare' + government taxes and government fees in the event of a flight cancellation.
From what I remember, Avios awards can be cancelled any time prior to the scheduled flight for a full refund of miles (no redeposit fees) but loss of the taxes paid. In this case, not sure but you might even get that.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can imagine this this being an issue as I'm sure BA will claim that AA is the cancelling party, so they should be issuing the refund
Only the issuing party will be able to issue the refund
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

What's even more thorny is that my rebooked flight at 6 AM tomorrow is now in a revenge bucket (I could tell because I could request a mileage upgrade for the flight).

I posed the question to AA, waiting for a response. As soon as I get to NYC I'll cancel officially
A "revenge" bucket. Cool!

Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I doubt AA has an interline agreement with AMTRAK or Acella. (DL cancelled theirvagreemebt with AA, and there airlines AA doesn't interline with.)

Definitely cancel your flight and contacts BA for your Avios.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As others have mentioned, when AA cancels a flight booked with Avios, you call BA, they will confirm AA did cancel flight and then BA will issue refund of Avois and whatever was charged for the award.

Same circumstances as above but if you want to travel, then you call AA to rebook. Don't call BA because BA can only rebook you on flights with awards while AA can put you on any flight during IRROPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.