Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do I Get Elite Benefits While Staying on Points?

Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Hi

Sorry if this so obvious but have not been able to find the answer. Have accumulated a lot of points but never redeemed.

Not so worried about room upgrade but lounge access and breakfast?

I am Gold Elite

Thanks

YXEG
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
I have always been able to get lounge access but you may have to ask nicely. Resorts are a different story and each one can chose not to give any benefits such as Rio Hato.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Yes. If you are Gold Elite, you should get all the benefits that a Gold Elite normally enjoys at that property. As mentioned, the benefits can differ by property, for example many of the resorts do not offer free breakfast, but in general you should be treated like any other gold elite which means if the property has a lounge you should get access.

I would just be careful to check what benefits the specific property you want to redeem at offers Gold elites. The Marriott Lounge thread is a great resource for explaining what elite benefits each property offers.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Yes, I just got back from a trip to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore - staying on points - and got all my normal privileges, including a room upgrade, full lounge privileges, etc. Actually, one morning, I decided to eat in the restaurant in Singapore and they didn't charge me for the breakfast buffet, because I could have eaten in the lounge (YMMV).

You're good! Enjoy!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Yes/No as it depends on the brand (i.e. basic Marriott that isn't a resort -yes; Ritz C - no)

More then likely your specific property will be listed in Sharon's sticky (which she maintains without the credit due) - recommend looking there for individual hotel data.

Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
Hi

Sorry if this so obvious but have not been able to find the answer. Have accumulated a lot of points but never redeemed.

I am Gold Elite

Thanks

YXEG
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hi

I am Gold Elite

Thanks

YXEG
Yes (unless resort or 14 specific properties).

Check the exec lounge sticky for your particular property

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13849211-post1.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:53 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Yes/No as it depends on the brand (i.e. basic Marriott that isn't a resort -yes; Ritz C - no)
Just want to make sure everyone understands which question you are answering.

Do I Get Elite Benefits While Staying on Points? Yes, all Marriott brands (including RCs) will provide elite benefits even on award stays.

Do all Marriott brands provide the same elite benefits? No, different brands offer different elite benefits. For example, RCs don't provide lounge access to Gold/Plat elites where FS Marriotts usually do.

The http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...er-thread.html has links to a number of existing threads discussing the various elite benefits and other rewards program information that might be useful information.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

I am Gold Elite
Good answer above from hhoope01.

It's not supposed to make any difference if a guest stays on Rewards points, pays with a credit card, or has a pre-paid stay. But, as noted in this thread, all the usual brand-specific rules apply for Marriott's brands that participate in Rewards.

If a hotel employee claims you're not eligible for elite benefits because you're staying on Rewards points, it's time to ask for a manager.

But that doesn't mean you can routinely expect the lounge/breakfast benefit. Only five of Marriott's brands offer that benefit, and then only if they're not resorts and not on a short list of exceptions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.