Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Transfer Terminal 4 to 2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

JFK Transfer Terminal 4 to 2

Can I ask what are the best options for transfer at JFK. Travelling GLA-JFK-MCO and it seems that the TATL flight will land at Terminal 4 and we will require to transfer to Terminal 2 for the MCO flight.

From what I can see, we need to drop off luggage after customs at Term 4 and then go outside and catch Airtrain to Term 2 and go through security again.

I was wondering whether it was possible to go through a flight connections process at Terminal 4, re-entering departures at Terminal 4 and then using the Jitney shuttle to Terminal 2.

Would this be an option and if so, would it be quicker to complete. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mco66
Can I ask what are the best options for transfer at JFK. Travelling GLA-JFK-MCO and it seems that the TATL flight will land at Terminal 4 and we will require to transfer to Terminal 2 for the MCO flight.

From what I can see, we need to drop off luggage after customs at Term 4 and then go outside and catch Airtrain to Term 2 and go through security again.

I was wondering whether it was possible to go through a flight connections process at Terminal 4, re-entering departures at Terminal 4 and then using the Jitney shuttle to Terminal 2.

Would this be an option and if so, would it be quicker to complete. Thanks.
I'd say going through security on the lower level of T4 is the quickest way to get to T2. Don't go upstairs to the departures checkpoint but make a left when you exit customs towards the DL bag recheck station and make another left after you pass the GE enrollment center and go through that checkpoint. I believe that it will be faster than taking the airtrain to T2 because you will have to take an elevator down at T2 and walk across the street. The Jitney at T4 would be straight ahead at Gate B18 after you take the escalator after security. The Jitney runs often and is a straight shot to T2 so it should only take 2 mins to get there.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Agree that re-entering customs at T4 is probably best unless there's a huge back-up at security.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
While I agree clearing at T4 lower level is easiest, all methods take about the same time, assuming security is the same. The walk from the AirTrain to T2 itself is about the same as the walk from the T4 checkpoint to the Jitney. The T4 route, however, is entirely indoors/covered.

Note your MCO flight may actually leave from T4. Be sure to check after you clear immigration.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If it's a nice day, I would just walk and stretch the legs out after the TATL flight. I've done the walk in both directions it's not bad at all.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
While I agree clearing at T4 lower level is easiest, all methods take about the same time, assuming security is the same. The walk from the AirTrain to T2 itself is about the same as the walk from the T4 checkpoint to the Jitney. The T4 route, however, is entirely indoors/covered.

Note your MCO flight may actually leave from T4. Be sure to check after you clear immigration.
If time permits, would like to grab a snack/drink and it looks like T4 has much better options so the T4/Jitney option seems preferable.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mco66
If time permits, would like to grab a snack/drink and it looks like T4 has much better options so the T4/Jitney option seems preferable.
There are some reasonable dining options in T2 -- the main problem is the ambiance.

And of course if you're GM+ or flying in biz then you'll have Sky Club access in either terminal.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Zorak
There are some reasonable dining options in T2 -- the main problem is the ambiance.

And of course if you're GM+ or flying in biz then you'll have Sky Club access in either terminal.
I would head straight to the T2 SC and avoid the T4 SC at that time in the afternoon. The T2 SC was recently renovated and isn't bad at all IMO.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Depends what time you get to JFK.

A couple of years ago, we were connecting from VS LHR-JFK to a Delta connection JFK-DCA when Delta ran all their commuter jets out of the late and unlamented corral which has been supplanted by gates C64, C65 and C66 in T2. We got to JFK after 1900, and by the time we had gone through immigration and customs and rechecked our bags, it was after 2000. The lower level security entrance to T4 had closed, and the pre-check line upstairs (near the Delta1 check in) had also closed. There was a 30-45 minute wait in the regular TSA line. A Delta employee was singularly unhelpful. We looked around and talked our way into the dedicated F class line, and miraculously got through security in 10 minutes, and made our connecting flight.

We would have been much better off walking about 800 yards or so over to T2 and clearing security there, as the place is uncrowded landside at that hour.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I would head straight to the T2 SC and avoid the T4 SC at that time in the afternoon. The T2 SC was recently renovated and isn't bad at all IMO.
I found the T2 Skyclub to be just okay, with a decent spread, but with the infrastructural elements looking drab. The men's room in the SC, on the other hand, was an absolute disaster straight outta Port Authority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.