Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does baggage compliance just confuse me?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Does baggage compliance just confuse me?

Recently we took a flight from BOSTON to Nassua by UNITED.. My ticket said first checked bag 25$/person and we were checking in 2 bags.no baggage fee information was on the ticket. We got charged $25 onwards but on the return, they indicated that there was no charge? Did we get lucky? Is it just for me that the baggage allowance is so confusing?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to UA Forum.
Please follow there...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
there should be baggage info on the ticket. Sounds like you got lucky unless you bought a very expensive fare on the return
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:57 pm

Do you have any status? Were both directions a single leg non-stop operated by United?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

It had a stop over at Newark onward and Miami in return.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Was the return leg on UA itself, or another carrier.

I don't beleive UA flies into/out of MIA to any airport that isn't a hub, so if it was indeed a Nassau to MIA to BOS flight, I imagine that must've been on another carrier. AA perhaps?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the return was with AA. Sorry about missing that. But my question is a little more generic. This was one such example. With newer airlines these days, we now even have charges for carry-on. Is there a universal baggage calculator?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds as though you had separate tickets.

It is easy to see your baggage allowance. It is printed on your e-ticket receipt for each segment of your ticket(s). You may need to scroll through or print out 5-6 pages to find it, but the charges, if any, for the first and second bag are right there.

Impossible to answer your specific question because you have not provided accurate information. But, after looking at your ticket(s), is your question answered?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by travelfriend
Is there a universal baggage calculator?
No, or at least not anything official. There is a United one - https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

$25 is correct for the first bag on United.

According to their website they also charge on flights to the Caribbean, however what might have happened here is that from AA's perspective you weren't flight TO the Caribbean, you were flying FROM there, and they may have different charges for that. Otherwise, you just got lucky...

Originally Posted by travelfriend
My ticket said first checked bag 25$/person and we were checking in 2 bags.no baggage fee information was on the ticket.
What do you mean by this? Either the ticket said $25, or it didn't say anything - can't be both. Who did you purchase the ticket from? Most likely a 3rd party who's systems got a little confused due to the 2 airlines involved. By law, the ticket must show the baggage fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.