Wiki Posts
Search

Pink tags now scanned

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Pink tags now scanned

I rarely need a pink tag, so this may not be a new procedure, but today I did need one and this is what happened.

I asked the gate agent for one and she said she needed my boarding pass. I don't recall having to provide this before, but i went and got it and gave it to the gate agent.
She scanned a pink tag, then my boarding pass and then a small slip of paper came out of the gate scanner with all the info. (Just like if you get an upgrade at the gate).

Just curious if this is a new procedure or test? Either way I like it.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:23 am

This has been happening for infant items and assistive devices for several months. Soon, this will expand to all pink tagged carry on bags.

This change is happening because Delta Connection flights are transitioning to an electronic closeout similar to Delta mainline flights. Currently, manual bag counts and flight attendant head counts are used for Delta Connection weight and balance.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:33 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I did read a post somethere that someone briefly mentioned that they're doing this now, but, I don't remember anything about a ticket spitting out from the printer. I would think you could still take the pink tag stub as your receipt - - unless there are new tags without receipt stubs.

Also, I wonder if under this new system, they'll catch people <like me> who tend to yank off the <forced> pink tags in the jetway. I would think not, since, by the time the bags are all loaded and they figure out which bags AREN'T loaded, they wouldn't have time to find the offending tag yankers and force you to check your bag.

Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I wonder how they'll implement this with the GAs that currently give out Pink Tags "just in case it doesn't fit."
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Gate agents should not be scanning pink tags, it's only supposed to be ramp agents.

Last edited by NWA012; Feb 26, 2017 at 11:41 am Reason: Spelling error
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I did read a post somethere that someone briefly mentioned that they're doing this now, but, I don't remember anything about a ticket spitting out from the printer. I would think you could still take the pink tag stub as your receipt - - unless there are new tags without receipt stubs.

Also, I wonder if under this new system, they'll catch people <like me> who tend to yank off the <forced> pink tags in the jetway. I would think not, since, by the time the bags are all loaded and they figure out which bags AREN'T loaded, they wouldn't have time to find the offending tag yankers and force you to check your bag.

If all the tagging is done electronically and bags are also scanned as they are loaded onto the plane, it wouldn't take additional time to know the person that brought the bag to the plane versus leaving at the jetway. The time, of course, would be to speak with the offender. Unless, the result is to just provide a fee/receipt to the offender
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I wonder how they'll implement this with the GAs that currently give out Pink Tags "just in case it doesn't fit."
Ramp agents will see how many bags haven't been scanned onboard. They probably won't delay for unscanned pink tags unless every pink tag wasn't scanned. Leaving off a cart of pink tags is the worst, both for passengers, gate agents, and baggage service agents. It's surprising how many passengers will surrender their bag without any identification on it at all. Probably just as many won't keep their pink tag stub either, so all they know is a black suitcase without any tag or ID was left in ATL
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by NWA012
Gate agents should not be scanning pink tags, it's only supposed to be ramp agents.
This is true for DC flights currently, but GAs do scan tags for mainline flights.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Widgets
so all they know is a black suitcase without any tag or ID was left in ATL
Maybe you should pass luggage tags out - - something like this:

Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
So is this procedure going to cause chaos when flyers rip-off pink tags just before getting on the plane with too-big-to-fit carry-on's?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by davetravels

I have to remove these pink tags because the GAs insist my rollaboard will not fit on RJ9s much less RJ7 and I know they are wrong.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xeno
I have to remove these pink tags because the GAs insist my rollaboard will not fit on RJ9s much less RJ7 and I know they are wrong.
+1
I specifically selected the bag I carry on CRJ flights because it will fit. Many times, they see wheels and tag it, without any interest in me saying it's small enough.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are there still some people who use the same old pink tag over and over?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:38 pm

It's sporadic, not every station is doing it, and it's been more problematic than anything else.

i.e....MCO-IND, CRJ900, Gate Agent made a big production about scanning the pink passes.

Midway through the flight, everyone starts getting emails that their bag was not loaded onto the flight, and to contact customer service.

Most customers mistook this for their checked bag, not realizing they scanned their gate check.

Apparently the baggage ramp staff never scanned the gate checks as on-aircraft triggering the alert.

So we land in IND, and the gate agents, and cabin crew have no idea what customers are asking about pursuant to the emails sent mid flight.

Total disaster.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
My vote is for priority handling version of the pink tag. Board first get your bag last sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.