Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Exclamation CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

I have some Five Back gift cards that I've been converting into OneVanillas (for the cash back obviously), but I've been going into the store and having them ring up 4 cards separately, because I've asked if they can split tender and they always say no. It's really a huge hassle to run 4 separate transactions every time though, and they always need to call for a backup cashier because it takes so long. My question is: will the Five Backs auto drain so I can run them in a single transaction?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Originally Posted by icemule1
I have some Five Back gift cards that I've been converting into OneVanillas (for the cash back obviously), but I've been going into the store and having them ring up 4 cards separately, because I've asked if they can split tender and they always say no. It's really a huge hassle to run 4 separate transactions every time though, and they always need to call for a backup cashier because it takes so long. My question is: will the Five Backs auto drain so I can run them in a single transaction?
you should really read the thread. I answered this multiple times in the thread. Yes you can do it four times in one transaction. first swipe is credit, the next swipe can be debit.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
you should really read the thread. I answered this multiple times in the thread. Yes you can do it four times in one transaction. first swipe is credit, the next swipe can be debit.
Interesting that the first swipe has to be credit. That could cause issues as they need to ask to see the card for that. Bummer. Thanks for responding, was daunting to go through 11k+ comments looking for a quick answer.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:36 am

This is interesting, I've only tried debit as the 1st transaction twice and as the last. I just assumed it never worked if it wasnt the last swipe.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:00 pm

Are you sure you answered? You yourself asked the question twice.

On Dec 16:
does the auto drain work with debits or only credits on the Five back cards at CVS?
On Nov. 17:
Does the auto drain only work with Credit or can I use debit for auto drain?
Hb1500 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:26 pm

Yesterday, I ran 4 5B @ CVS for 4 VVGCs, all as debit, all autodrained for $500 each. Put the balance on Amex OBC.

I've never had any problems with splits at CVS, other than the overall limit of swipes, for Debit or Credit.

Last edited by shadow520; Jan 2, 2017 at 5:15 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
How many people have been getting the following message when using fivebacks at CVS:

Alternate Form of Payment Required
This shows up when there's no balance on the card.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
This shows up when there's no balance on the card.
not always true.

I did get this once and I had 5 other cards with me. I got it on my first swipe. I was able to usenit again after 4 other swipes.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by shadow520
Yesterday, I ran 4 5B @ CVS for 2 VVGCs, all as debit, all autodrained for $500 each. Put the balance on Amex OBC.

I've never had any problems with splits at CVS, other than the overall limit of swipes, for Debit or Credit.
You used 4 500 FBs and purchased 2 VVGCs?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday, I ran 4 5B @ CVS for 2 VVGCs, all as debit, all autodrained for $500 each. Put the balance on Amex OBC.

Count yourself lucky for wherever location you are at.

Here the CVS POS is set such a way that it cannot do split payment with debit mode. Period. A cashier even turned the screen to show me, even after she tried to put in the amount. Let alone autodrain.
Many people in some parts of the nation also have the same issue using debit.

Credit mode seems no issue but then it brings up another issue that if your CVS insists the "credit card" must have your name on it that matches the driver license. That is exactly the case in 90% of the stores here.

Here there are stores allow multiple cards to purchase but only that they must be on single transaction with SINGLE payment card. So that immediately preclude the split payment mechanism. Then there are stores allow purchase of 2 cards in separate transactions, but some POS would flag a false daily limit if the same register is used to do b2b2b transactions even with different IDs, though it is not the case for some other POS, even just a few miles apart.

Bottom line - each person must learn the situation of his own location and adapt what works what not accordingly.

Hence, saying one has no issue on doing this or that, without a warning of "in my area", is quite misleading to those who are new or uninitiated in this game. Just a friendly reminder.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lumangoy
shadow520 must have made a typo somewhere - we all know that one cannot buy more than $1K a day at SAME store - so 4 5B for 2 VVGCs and each $500 autodrained from the 5B is impossible. Who knows exactly what shadow520 has done - 2 5B for 2 VVGC in same store makes sense. 4 5B for 4 VVGC in same store is impossible. 4 5B for 2 VVGC does not make any sense.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Nope. Typo. 4 VVCGs.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
shadow520 must have made a typo somewhere - we all know that one cannot buy more than $1K a day at SAME store - so 4 5B for 2 VVGCs and each $500 autodrained from the 5B is impossible. Who knows exactly what shadow520 has done - 2 5B for 2 VVGC in same store makes sense. 4 5B for 4 VVGC in same store is impossible. 4 5B for 2 VVGC does not make any sense.
I think your area is same as mine. I just tried debit on 2nd swipe, it doesn't work, so I will continue with credit until it dies.

1k impossible? I've used 4 FBs with 500 and another FB with 25 to purchase 4 VVGC.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Well, yes, I did have a typo and fixed it, but I did buy 4 all in one transaction for a total of $2019.80, charged to 4 different 5B cards @ $500 each, run as debit plus the $19.80 on Amex OBC as credit. I've done 4 @ $500 VVGCs in one transaction from CVS many, many times without issue. So buying 4 at once is not impossible. At least certainly not in my area. YMMV.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:43 pm

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 12050
Size:  468.4 KB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.