Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Penny pinching Pullman Sydney Olympic Park

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Pullman at Sydney Olympic Park

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Olympic Boulevard Sydney Olympic Park, NW AU 2127

Penny pinching Pullman Sydney Olympic Park (5 Photos)

Billed as the only five star hotel in Western Sydney, the Pullman Sydney at Olympic Park is in reality part of three hotels, with the Ibis and Novotel colocated on the same building site. And it was these three I was trying to decide from when it came to make a booking, with the Ibis @ $60, Novotel @ $80 and Pullman @ $109 per night through the Accor hot rooms promo. As I was driving, a car park was essential, and I didn't feel the need to be near the city, so I thought I would give the precinct a go.

IMG_1381.JPGIMG_1384.JPGIMG_1386.JPG

Check In

Check-In was quick and cheerful. I was asked if I needed multiple entry/exit for the car park and shown where the entry was, which is under the Novotel. While there is a road dividing the Pullman and Novotel/Ibis properties, underneath they are all the one and same and share the car park. I was told to enter the car park and head straight ahead to the Pullman area, which is the B2 level and shares facilities with the hotels garbage bins. If first impressions count, then this hotel makes a smelly one. 

The next day I did some exploring and noted if one doglegged right and headed up you got the B1 level of parking, which did not have the smelly ambience of B2. Spots are not plentiful, and some creative parking was noted.

IMG_1385.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

Room

I booked a twin room and received a twin room, no upgrade for my Plainum membership. The room is a fairly typical room for most hotels in Sydney, with a bath room on the right after entry and aircon overhead. Aircon worked well, however sound proofing was poor, with bathroom activity from adjacent rooms on the same level and above heard at times. Outside activity could also be heard, as it turned out the Novotel had some early CNY activity at 8 AM one morning.

Dining

There is one restaurant onsite and I did not partake of food there. There are a number of fast food outlets and coffee shops under the Novotel including that famous Scottish American hamburger chain, so I didn't feel the need to spend money in the hotel with their normally inflated breakfast prices and the like.

Service

I am not sure what exactly defines a five star hotel, but there was no five star service here. No newspaper was found outside my door, and no help offered with bags or similar.

The hotel used to have an executive lounge but this is now a meeting space. It has recreation facilities nearby such as the Sydney aquatic centre across the pool but no pool of its own.

Overall

As I mentioned at the start I was trying to workout where to stay, and now regret not paying for the Ibis, as I don't believe I got anything other than some nicer toiletries for my money by comparison. It would be hard to say value for money was poor at the rates I paid, they are very good for Sydney, but the reality was a room at the Pullman offered very little in return for the premium. 

I would put the Pullman Olympic Park in the same category as most airport hotels, there for the location, not a destination in itself. The poor recognition of status, with no upgrades, a closed executive lounge and a welcome shot glass of nuts and a single beer make this a poor option for those wishing to make the most of their hotel status. 

Would you like to write a review on the Pullman at Sydney Olympic Park?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.