Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines First Class SEA-ANC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2001, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Alaska Airlines First Class SEA-ANC

This flight is the final installment from the much longer Mileage run described in EP's Mileage Run ~ An AAmerican Odyssey. If you are interested in reading the whole report, which includes reviews of AS Y Class, NW F and Y Class and AA Y Class, please go HERE

Alaska 181 F SEA-ANC 737-400 N771AS Seat 2F 1450 mi./4344 mi. earned

After checking in, I headed over to Alaska’s Boardroom for a couple of pre-flight libations. Alaska has operated their SeaTac Boardroom out of the same location at the entrance to the D Concourse for many years now. During that time, Alaska and its sister company Horizon Air have grown considerably and with that growth has come a commensurate growth in Boardroom membership. As a result, the Boardroom is in real need of expansion because more often than not it’s pretty crowded in there. Today was no exception.

I left the club 20 minutes before departure and boarded the plane. Alaska’s 737-400s seat 12 in First Class. First Class was, as usual, completely full. My seatmate was asleep when I arrived and I actually had to wake him in order to take my seat. He bore an amazing resemblance to the actor Wilford Brimley, right down to the big cookie-duster mustache. Once I took my seat, he fell back asleep and proceeded to sleep right on through the take-off and dinner. Good thing I hit the bathroom before boarding this airplane because I had a window seat and didn’t want to have to wake this guy if I didn’t have to. He seemed exhausted.

Alaska’s First Class seats are dark blue leather and more comfortable than the coach seats. Well, duh. Yeah, but really, they aren’t that special. I would describe seat comfort as OK compared to what I think is the best non-international First Class seat going, United’s new First Class seat on their A320s, 737s and 757s. Also, legroom is no more than American offers in their MRTC planes in Coach.

Any negatives about Alaska’s First Class service end with the seats, however. Everything else about their service is first rate. My jacket was quickly hung and I was offered a pre-flight drink. La Croix and a squeeze of lime worked well for me as I settled in and looked over the Sky Catalogue in search of a couple of late Christmas gifts. We pushed back from the gate on time, taxied on out to the runway and took off to the south.

My seat was 2F and if you’ve ever flown between Seattle and Anchorage you know that all the great scenery is on the F side of the airplane heading North. Unfortunately, diminishing daylight and clouds conspired to rob us of any views of Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and the snowy peaks of BC’s Coastal Range. Oh well. I had a McTarnahan’s Scottish Ale and a packet of cashews in hand 32 minutes after take-off. The aroma emanating from the galley had me looking forward to dinner as soon as possible.

I have only been offered menus once on Alaska and that was on an ANC-ORD service last March. I understand menus are no longer used even on the longer runs anymore. That’s unfortunate as I collect menus and feel that if nothing else, they heighten the anticipation to a nice meal and, by extension, a nice flight.

Our flight attendant, a very personable and charming lady named Jill (?) had an interesting method of determining the menu selection hierarchy. She cut up and numbered 12 pieces of paper, then passed them around in a serving dish as a dinner choice lottery. Though I support United’s method of choice based upon status, I liked this approach and I think the rest of the passengers did as well. Fortunately, I drew number 5.

Our entrée choices this evening were Pork Tenderloin served with a Mushroom Gravy or Mushroom Tortellini with Putanesca Sauce. Those of you familiar with Italian cuisine or even the Italian language may appreciate the roots of the word “Putanesca” Pasta Putanesca translates literally into “The Prostitute’s Pasta” and legend has it that it was prepared by ladies of the night in Naples, Italy, during their lunch or dinner break. Another says it was concocted to entice clients into their brothel. In any event, it’s quite good and zesty. I learned about it as well as ate it at an Italian restaurant right in Fairbanks. Even so, I still opted for the pork. I wanted meat!

While I awaited the entrée, a tray was presented bearing silverware (and of course the plastic knife) bread, salt and pepper shakers and the salad. A typical Alaska Airlines salad, more vegetables than greens but still very good, served with a creamy cilantro dressing. Although I was unable to discern any cilantro, the dressing was flavorful. With my salad I enjoyed a glass of 1999 Stone Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. Not bad for a $10.00 bottle of wine…

When dinner finally arrived, it was well worth the wait. Three large pieces of pork were covered in a light mushroom gravy and accompanied by a colorful basmati rice and a medley of braised red, green and yellow peppers. I wish I’d had a camera. The plate and the presentation looked every bit as nice as anything I’ve seen posted here from a CX dinner. As for the dinner itself, delicious! And filling!

Plates were cleared and we were presented with dessert, a peach cobbler. At least, that’s what I think it was. I’ve had this dessert before on Alaska. It’s not bad but always just a bit dry. I would recommend Alaska consider a different dessert, something a bit moister. Once again, coffee and Bailey’s closed out an excellent meal.

The rest of this flight passed by quickly as we flew past the lights of Juneau off to our north, then over Yakutat and Cordova before descending in Anchorage for an on-time arrival.

All things considered, a very nice flight. Alaska’s service and food rank amongst the best in the nation. No wonder First Class is always full. If you haven’t yet experienced Alaska Airlines’ service, much less the State of Alaska, by all means try to do so. You won’t be disappointed!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 19, 2006 at 4:28 pm
Old Dec 14, 2001, 4:23 pm

Enjoyed your report Seat 2A. I also enjoy the pork dish on AS. The tenderloins are very tender and it's nice to have something other than halibut and chicken, which was the meal du jour last year.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 7:28 pm
In Memoriam

Thanks for the report. I have enjoyed AS 1C many times but never that route. BTW, if you collect menus would you be interested in a couple from the SEA-DCA and DCA-SEA run I took on September 8th and 9th. Or perhaps you are one of those who only collect from flights they've actually taken themselves. The menus are quite nice with a background view of DC. It was the 5th day of that new route and of course two days before it was prematurely closed down. If you are interested, just send me an e-mail with your address.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 10:53 pm

Hey travel weary - how was the service on your flight to D.C.? Just curious what you thought.
Old Dec 15, 2001, 12:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Seat 2A: Have you ever sat in Alaska's new First Class seats (with adjustable headrests). They are on all the 739s, some 73Gs, and a few 734s. At least to me, they are more comfortable than the old seats.

Regarding ANC-ORD, my understanding is that Alaska still offers menus on this route. If they disappeared, it was only a temporary thing. Coach, however, is a different matter.
Old Dec 15, 2001, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
EIPremier,

I have checked out Alaska's new F Class seats and I think they may be even worse than the old ones! The adjustable head rest is a nice feature but to me, that new seat is hard, not soft.

I'm not a huge United fan, but I'm not kidding when I say I think their new domestic F Class seats are the most comfortable.

Alaska's best seats, to me at least, were the First Class seats in their old 727-200s. Even the old ex-PA 727-100s had pretty nice FC seats. This was back in the days of Gold Coast Service and of course the 727s are now long gone.

Just out of curiosity, any one out there remember the Golden Nugget Jets and the Golden Samovar Service? (There's an actual golden samovar from the service located in the Boardroom in Seattle) This service certainly predates me but I am curious even so. Sounds like AS had an incredible service back then, with their 727-90Cs, plus the lounge equipped 880 and 990. Heck, AS even flew 720s and a leased PA 707-121.
Old Dec 15, 2001, 3:47 pm
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
Hey travel weary - how was the service on your flight to D.C.? Just curious what you thought.</font>
Actually, it was quite nice. You can read some about it on this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000338.html
Old Dec 15, 2001, 8:26 pm

About 10 years ago I flew economy on Alaska from LA to Seattle and the coach meal was a lot better than other airlines. Huge portions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.