Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Turkey Day Run got me 22 UAL segments...

Old Nov 26, 2000, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.

Just back from my perfectly etched Turkey Day run... a nice break from all the news which CNN and MS-NBC had to offer! Geez, I've something extra to be "thankful for."

Twenty short segments were booked - 10 per day at a cost of $ 196.00. My itinerary was perfectly timed with beautiful connections, none more than an hour. And, because my connections were all "perfectly timed," I actually packed a picnic basket big enough for two days - since layovers were so short.
And, how could I do a Turkey Day Run without all the Thanksgiving goodies?

Unfortunately, segment five "busted" due to "weather," (which ACTUALLY cancelled because I was THE ONLY psgr booked on the flt, or so I was told) which dominoed the remaining 15 segments... and so I was forced to re-route... which added another two segments to my itinerary and extended my trip by half a day... drat! Imagine that, a mileage run, with two extra segments thown in for free!

And so I just moved though the system from one kind hearted Skywest agent to the nest.

During a "forced layover" at LAX I encountered a "hard nosed" UAL customer service mgr. - and he refused to "pick up" the unexpected overnite... but I have friends... and so my unplanned overnite at Embassy Suites South was courtesy of a coupon exchanged with Crankyusi.

I was amazed in all my dealings with "real" veteran UAL folks - at how tired they looked and not at all sympathetic - the "summer from hell" must have drained their souls! I certainly hope that all of this will change when higher status is acheived! I must say, that I have never seen this, on such scale, with my ex, Mrs. CO.

On the other hand, I would like to rant and rave about my new found discovery: Skywest Airlines, operating as the United connection.
First of all, I made friends all along the way - and we would chat again, and again, and again! It got to be kind of an every- other-hour kind of thing! Just a great group of fiendly, helpful, and GREATLY ACCOMODATING people. I will fly with them again, and often. There is NO comparison between Skywest and the Sh**tle, IMHO!

Second, I am VERY fond of the Brasilia. It ONLY holds 30 people... and is therefore perfect for mileage runs and quick turn arounds... no 150 people to board and off load as with a 737. They can "turn it" in about eight minutes!

Finally, Skywest offers a snack service which I found very appealing, based on my observations of the low level of service rendered in the short haul US market. Each passenger is offered a drink and then presented with a little wicker basket with various gourmet health bars, cookies, etc. "Go ahead, take as much as you'd like," I over heard one FA say to a psgr.

Small little things and attention to detail please me...

I found the presentation very much to my liking... not all that much, I know, but each passenger got a choice and an additional moment of the FA's time. Traditionally, while the "big boy" FA's do offer a choice of drinks, they then just "throw ya" the pretzel mix and are on to the next customer.

Four thumbs up Skywest, I applaud you - for a job very well done!

So now it's back to the grind of work... and finalizing the next run!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 11-26-2000).]
Old Nov 26, 2000, 5:55 pm

Very nice trip report tvl4free, but the question remains. Where did you fly?
Old Nov 26, 2000, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
All that for less than $200 total??? Or per day?

Be worth posting on UA board!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 26, 2000, 8:15 pm

Sounds like another walk in the park for "tvl4free", $10\segment that is. Good to know that Embassy Suites came in handy and now, is it 78 more before year end?
Old Nov 26, 2000, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally posted by crankyusi:
is it 78 more before year end?
Let's not, yet, think of it in those terms Cranky... I'm still kind of on an emotional high!
Old Nov 26, 2000, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Agree with you 100% about Skywest and the Brasilia. If I had my choice, Skywest's agents would replace about 80% of UA's gate agents. And, Where in the heck did you fly?
Old Nov 27, 2000, 1:32 pm

tvl4free-

Where did you fly?
(enquiring minds want to know)

I have often thought of doing mileage runs
on Skywest out of LAX, but couldn't ever
find decent fares!
Old Nov 27, 2000, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Just flew up and down the west coast from SAN
to SMF - with LOTS of stops and turn arounds in between - using $40 to 45 RT Turkey Day fares - to which I applied a coupon!

I think that I hit every major city in CA two or three times...some more, coupled with an LA - PHX turn.
Old Nov 27, 2000, 4:13 pm

I concur in your praise of Skywest. I flew them (operating as DL connection) from SLC to YVR a couple of weeks ago. Nice FA's, ample snacks, on-time flights. They struck me as a class commuter operation.
Old Nov 29, 2000, 1:34 am

Programs: DL: PM
Originally posted by tvl4free:
Just flew up and down the west coast from SAN
to SMF - with LOTS of stops and turn arounds in between - using $40 to 45 RT Turkey Day fares - to which I applied a coupon!

I think that I hit every major city in CA two or three times...some more, coupled with an LA - PHX turn.
I want in on your next segment run. My goal is to make status with UA this year and next year.

------------------
I fly therefore I am!
Old Jul 19, 2001, 6:11 pm

I fly Skywest Psp-Lax and agree, the service I've received has always been outstanding. I always find something good in the little wicker basket.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Biscoff Cookies. MMMMM. From the Gourmet Center in SFO.

The f/a always gives me a big handful to take with..

I fly them often SFO-FAT and FAT-LAX.

I'll be back out that way 8/1. Yay!

(Fortunately I've been out to the West Coast during every month so far this year.)
Old Sep 1, 2001, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'm sitting here at work on Sat. afternoon trying to catch up on some stuff. Starting to feel the pang of hunger.

I re-read this thread, saw my own reply about the yummy Skywest Biscoff cookies AND REALIZED THAT I HAD A MOTHERLODE OF 'EM IN MY LAPTOP CASE leftover from a flight from FAT-LAX on 8/4.

Hunger solved. Thank you, flyertalk!
Old Sep 1, 2001, 9:39 pm

I also agree that the UAX/Skywest flights are perfect for mileage runs, or just picking up a couple extra segs. Instead of LAX-SFO, book LAX-SBA-SFO. Add ONT orSNA and you have 6 segs on the rt from southern cali to the bay area. and the 1000 mile min with LH M&M is very practical in making SEN (*Gold)....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.