Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Ottawa Byward Market - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Ottawa Byward Market - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by ibling
The dsu suites here are one bed only. You may want to call the hotel directly and check if they have any suites with double beds (if thats what you need). In the past I have changed my reservation from 3 adults to 2 adults, just for the dsu to be applied. Had no issues at check-in (diff property though).
I stayed here a few time and was DSU'd into a large suite. was able to get a rollaway for free (tipped em a few bucks) and there is a couch that would be long enough for a kid under 13 imo. that could work. but yeah to be on the safe side i'd probably change it to two adults and then bring the kids after you check in
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:09 am

Just stayed and had Valet Parking for CAD30. But it's outdoor on the parking lot behind, not in the garage underground as I thought. During the winter time, I will not do Valet Parking again. Any suggestion for indoor garage parking nearby?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by rebyang
Just stayed and had Valet Parking for CAD30. But it's outdoor on the parking lot behind, not in the garage underground as I thought. During the winter time, I will not do Valet Parking again. Any suggestion for indoor garage parking nearby?
closest parking lot (enclosed, not heated) is on 70 clarence street. About 3 min walk (280 m) from Andaz..
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:25 am

All set to host (with fellow bloggers) a Travel Hacker meetup at the Andaz on March 20th, 6:00pm. Everybody is welcome, should be fun!

Details and RSVP here - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ottawa-...m-term=listing
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:39 pm

Join us for the 3rd edition of Ottawa Points and Miles meetup at Andaz Ottawa, on Sunday, August 27th, 2017 from 7:30pm – 9:30pm.

Please RSVP here - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ottawa-...ts-36749761526
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:44 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Any recent stay experiences here, especially globalist recognition? Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Any recent stay experiences here, especially globalist recognition? Thanks.
My last stay there was a one night stay on Halloween. It was my 7th of the year.

Upgraded w/o prompting to a suite... have over 70% suite upgrade percentage here. Still one of the best globalist breakfast benefits in the system - entire breakfast bill is taken off w/o question at checkout. Once had 120 dollar breakfast with several colleagues. Really good breakfast place too, lots of a la carte options. Menu at: https://ottawa.andaz.hyatt.com/conte...st-9092016.pdf
AJLondon likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Still one of the best globalist breakfast benefits in the system - entire breakfast bill is taken off w/o question at checkout. Once had 120 dollar breakfast with several colleagues. Really good breakfast place too, lots of a la carte options. Menu at: https://ottawa.andaz.hyatt.com/conte...st-9092016.pdf
I think you're exaggerating a bit. I admit that no-questions-asked on the cost side is good, but that's fairly typical for Hyatt in my experience. Back in the summer, I found the service to be quite slow, hard to get coffee refills, etc. and the food was nothing special - certainly nothing like brekkie at any number of Park Hyatts...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have stayed here several times since the hotel opened in 2016. Regarding breakfast, I would not go as far as saying it's one of the best in the entire system because it's not on par with Asian properties, but in my opinion it's one of the best in North America. They cook their own bakeries on site; they are delicious and very fresh. The options on the menu are excellent, for example one of my favorites is "Farmhouse Eggs" which is an omelet with duck, brussels sprouts, pumpkin, etc. Not your run of the mill North American breakfast by any stretch of the imagination, and I truly enjoy it. I have never experienced service issues and the staff remembers client preferences over time.

Similar to uppereastsider, I think my suite upgrade rate is about 70%, without using upgrade awards. If a suite is available, they normally give it to me, which is very appreciated. The hardware at this hotel is great and in fact better than competitors like Fairmont and Westin, often for a similar price or even cheaper. Normally I get an upgrade to the Andaz Suite, and only once to the Large Andaz Suite. The regular suite is nice enough and has a full bathroom and a small powder room. The large suite is fantastic with a much bigger living room area and a kitchen/counter area.

The gym on the top floor gives you great views of the city. Not a very large gym, but it has the basics.

For parking you can use valet for $30 per night, otherwise you can find a public parking lot on your own. There is a third party parking behind the hotel which I used in the past to save a few dollars per night. However after a few hiccups on more than one occasion with the staff running the parking lot, I reached the conclusion they are crooks so I stopped using them and just go with Andaz's valet service.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:39 am

Andaz = Best Hotel in Ottawa

Andaz Ottawa Byward Market

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

325 Dalhousie Street Ottawa Ontario, Canada CA K1N 7G2

Andaz = Best Hotel in Ottawa (8 Photos)

I have just completed another excellent stay here.  The regular suite was not available on hyatt.com; only the large suite was available.  The regular suite is normally the Globalist suite upgrade benefit (not the large suite) therefore I did not expect to be upgraded but I got a nice surprise at check-in because I was upgraded to the regular suite anyway.  I suspect that someone who was already booked in the regular suite was upgraded to the large suite, which created availability for the regular suite, and they upgraded me there.  Very generous and they made two customers happy!

Room

The hotel has been open for soon to be 2 years now, and everything is still in excellent condition.  The suite is not very large but the space is well designed.  There is a living room separated from the bedroom via a sliding door.  The views of the parliament are very nice from the room.  The living room has access to a powder room, while the bedroom has access to a full bathroom.  The main bathroom has a nice modern glass wall rain shower and a separate bathtub.  Of the 12+ hotels I have stayed in Ottawa, the Andaz has the nicest rooms in my opinion.  If I am nitpicking and try to find negatives, I would say that there is not much of a sofa in the living room.  It’s more like a cushion on a bench, and not comfortable since you are sitting at exactly 90 degree angle and despite the cushion it is quite hard for the back.  And the powder rooms lacks counter space – it’s just a sink.

20180422_175723.jpg20180422_175741.jpg20180422_175752.jpg20180422_175813.jpg

Dining

They changed the breakfast menu slightly since my last stay.  I was disappointed that the “Farmhouse Eggs” is no longer on the menu.  A new option is the Vegetarian Market Breakfast which I enjoyed.  They now also have the “Breakfast Poutine” which might be the replacement for what used to be Farmhouse Eggs I guess, since both are prepared with duck.  Several other breakfast choices are the same as before.  The Globalist breakfast benefit continues to be that you can order whatever you want from the menu and they will just cancel the charge from the room bill. 20180425_091037.jpg

Amenities

The suite has very large bottles of shampoo, body wash, etc.  I would like to bring them home as I sometimes do in hotels have offer good quality shampoo, but I am more hesitant about taking a 237 ml bottle out of the room than a regular hotel-sized bottle!  The soap bar is also big like a brick.  Shampoo and soap are both produced locally.  The regular Andaz rooms (not the suites) have the small bottles and soap.  All rooms also have potato chips, chocolates, and soft drinks which you can take for no charge, and they get re-stocked daily.  You also get a glass of wine at check-in which you can drink in the lobby near reception or bring to your room.

20180423_070253.jpg

I like the location in Byward Market – there are lots of restaurants and shops around.  However note that there has been a recent increase in shootings in Ottawa which is unusual for what used to be a quiet boring city.  And the specific neighborhood of the Andaz has also witnessed its share of crimes between gang members, including sometimes in broad day light.  I have seen an area cordoned off by police a couple of times in the last year or so – probably there was some trouble and they blocked access while they investigated.  

Gym

I include a couple of pictures of the gym.  It only has one elliptical and the gym is a bit small, but Ottawa is not exactly a fit city so I have not found the gym crowded before. 20180426_132233.jpg20180426_132247.jpg

Overall

As I mentioned in my previous post, in my opinion the Andaz is superior to other hotels in Ottawa if you have elite status.  I do not think you can realistically expect a suite upgrade at the Fairmont without a suite upgrade certificate, and I doubt they will become generous overnight once they are fully integrated within Accor in July and that the certs do not exist anymore.  Suite upgrades are rare at Westin.  The Sheraton only has one suite in the entire hotel and it is not even for sale on spg.com.  The Hilton is also a good property but it’s in Gatineau not Ottawa.  I have not tried the Marriotts yet but I would be surprised if you can get as much bang for your buck as Andaz.  The breakfast at Andaz is also head and shoulders above the Westin where the platinum benefit is only cold breakfast, and you get no free breakfast at all at Fairmont as a platinum unless you booked a rate which includes it.

Andaz = Best Hotel in Ottawa

Would you like to write a review on the Andaz Ottawa Byward Market?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Great write up in The NY Times about the Andaz!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/t...el-review.html
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:54 pm

Any recent globalist experiences? Is there a wine/happy hour?

Also, any parking options close to the property?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by fangtl
Any recent globalist experiences? Is there a wine/happy hour?

Also, any parking options close to the property?
I have not posted anything recently but I can confirm Globalist experiences remain very positive since my review last year every time I have been there since. Very good breakfast and generous room upgrades without having to ask. There is no happy hour although you receive a welcome drink at check-in. There is a third party parking behind Andaz but people running it are crooks so I avoid it. There are other parking lots in various places downtown. I sometimes use the hotel valet, some other times I just drop off my luggage in front of the hotel, go away to park, and walk back to the hotel.

I gave another chance to Westin in December and I kicked myself for not booking at Andaz.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Note: Regarding parking overnight on the streets around York Street or Dalhousie Road near the Andaz hotel or, metered parking around all the Byward Market is 7 days a week starting at 8am. So make sure to FEED the meter in the morning (especially on lazy Sundays) before going down to the Feast & Revel for their amazing complimentary Globbys breakfast. Make sure to order some fresh warm assorted breads/ croissants to go along with your main platters.

Enjoy it, as this property is my go local go to one for any visiting friends or year end mattress runs.

LFC

Last edited by luvFclass; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:28 pm

Appreciate the feedback. Since I'll be driving around, I think hotel parking will make the most sense.
luvFclass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.