Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Singapore City Centre

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
They also pair their eveings with a wine tasting from their auto wine dispenser. What is unique here, and is in the process of being introduced is that they also have a "for pay" full menu. The explanation given by the GM is that from personal experinece, there is nothing worse than being alone in a foreign city and having nowhere to go for dinner. So after some canapes in the lounge, the guest then has the option after 7:30pm to order from this menu and have his dinner in the lounge paired with the drinks available there. In my opinion, perfect!
So are the drinks in the lounge also chargeable after 730pm?

I will be interested if I can order food and be paired with the lounge's complimentary wines.

Great review btw!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
So are the drinks in the lounge also chargeable after 730pm?

I will be interested if I can order food and be paired with the lounge's complimentary wines.

Great review btw!
Thanks. I guess after canapé time the drinks which are only available till 7:30 would be chargeable, but possibly non alcoholic drinks would be at no charge.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I guess after canapé time the drinks which are only available till 7:30 would be chargeable, but possibly non alcoholic drinks would be at no charge.
That's the usual rule in club lounges, so I think it's reasonable to assume it will be the case in this new hotel.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AccorAll - Diamond Qantas - Platinum
Excellent review Gilbertaue! loved the pictures! great quality and capture the luxurious comfort that awaits guests.

I had the opportunity to stay for 3 nights (i think just after Gilbertaue left). I have to agree with all commentary provided by Gilbertaue. Quality hotel with excellent staff eager to please. IMO, all delays have been directly related to quality & prudency - ensuring all aspects of hotel is functioning at the highest level, as the landmark hotel they want this to be.

I did have prior correspondence with hotel, in order to ensure all was in order for reservation. Excellent contact and follow up, as i requested contact prior to arrival, and indeed 4 days prior, email was received welcoming me to hotel - all was in order.

Requested early check-in, but was given generic reply ie not guaranteed. (I requested noon, and i am gold). Generic tourist info provided to an email request was basic and not worth the bother.

Was welcomed curbside by name from greeters (whom had list in hand. was i only person checking in that day? don't know how he knew my name?). But then was taken from curb to 5th floor check in, only to be told to check in at club. So should of/could of known that curbside. Minor issue, but i think 1 elevator does do all the way to level 6 from ground level.

Because of the restricted operations, every step of the way there is a army of staff eagerly awaiting to serve. (kinda bored i think!). So some interactions are overkill with too many people looking after you! Standard checkin for club, if not abit slow, but lots of staff to talk to. no "thank you for loyalty" statement. No confirmation of reservation details. No upgrade offered.

We had booked prestige suite, and were told we were first guests to stay in 1312. No upgrade option as the singe large suite not avail. No welcome gift received. Peppermint tea request for room was not catered for, but was later explained to me that they had none in the building! So again excellent follow up. But then the extra herbal teas provided in lieu, were removed the next day (and replaced again when i mentioned at club).

Prestige suite looks double the size of the regular rooms, and it was absolutely luxurious abode. double sinks, walk in shower, marble everywhere. Maybe lack of drawer space for 2 people - as only 1 drawer provided in closet where other hotel amenities kept, and 2 tiny drawers under bathroom sink? New bed beautiful. New tech light switches not the easiest to decipher, as i believe many levels of ambient lighting can be achieved, and i end up just mastering all on and off after 3 days. Ambient light from bedside light switches a bit of an issue, and had to be covered up with pillow to block for sleeping purposes.

Dining room was beautiful to dine in, although there was never more than 4 of us eating at any one time. Food was high quality, and they would do almost anything for you.

Club is again a beautiful space, with french champagne and vinitec wine avail, as pictured by Gilbertaue. Champagne was changed during our stay, but i noticed a specific label was published in club menu. Small but high quality food offering. Hot canapes passed by staff twice, unless requested. Only comment i would have is, it is the same cheese and charcuterie offerings nightly and at breakfast buffet, so options become limited after a couple days.
(but above average quality!)

Again never more than 4 people in club in evening. So lots of time to chat with staff. If hotel is full, club will be quick small?! Tried to get a vodka martini made, but was told that was chargeable. i then asked for vodka on the rocks with some vermouth, and they drew the line again.

Enjoyed the pool daily (club level). Nice outdoor space, although i did point out the lack of shaded areas, and they said they had issues with umbrellas blowing away (6th floor!) so need to put in alternative arrangements.

very enjoyable stay! That has been my experience with the top level accor hotels across SE Asia, and this 'flagship' is right up there with the best. Nothing like a half empty 5 star hotel to be a pleasant playground for 3 days. But as guests, we too were excited to be there and very much enjoyed the offerings at hand.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:02 pm

Am I missing something? [Sofitel Singapore City Centre]

Map| 6 Reviews | 83% Recommended

9 Wallich Street Singapore, SG 078885

Am I missing something? (0 Photo)

I must really be missing something. I have read quite a few reviews and some of them have been absolutely glowing. I've started to wonder whether or not I actually stayed at the same hotel. I found it to be completely underwhelming.

Having stayed at properties during pre-opening and rebranding phases before, I have always been willing to make allowances. On this occasion however, there were too many little problems and glitches. They added up to a very disappointing stay.

The room was of average size, but decor was bland and furniture utilitarian. The bathroom was functional and had the usual Lanvin toiletries. Housekeeping was lacklustre.The "complimentary" use of a smart phone, which is now common in many hotels in Singapore, came in handy, but the "free" mini bar was disappointing in comparison with other hotels. The platinum, in-room welcome amenity was also disappointing, when compared to other Accor properties. A bottle of water and a little plate of tartlets was hardly impressive.

Breakfast at Racines was unimpressive and promised a lot more than it delivered; there were limited bakery items and cereals; and lukewarm food on the hotplates. Being constantly interrupted by the wait staff and chefs, asking how my breakfast was, became very wearing after a while.

The rooftop lap pool on the 6th floor is also used by the Virgin Active gym next door. If the hotel ever nears full occupancy, there will be standing room only. There is very little shade for those of us who are not sun lovers. 

As a platinum Le Club Accor member, the fact that it is the only Sofitel in Singapore with a club lounge is an advantage, although the other two do provide complimentary breakfast in their restaurants as compensation.

Club Millesime does not compare well with other Sofitel lounges. Most of those I visit have a choice of table and chairs and more comfortable seating. This would be problematic here however, as the club lounge is very small. It was not busy when I was there, but once the hotel is fully operational, they'll need a shoe horn to fit people in. You have to exit the lounge to access the two restrooms, which are shared with the adjacent pool and gym. Evening canapes (including champagne) were of good quality, but limited and very repetitive. The high-tech drink dispenser only served room temperature white wine.

Another annoying hiccup occurred after my stay. For some reason, the points I was awarded were deleted from my account. I immediately contacted the hotel and was given different reasons, by two different people, for this anomaly. The points were later reimbursed.

There are some really magnificent hotels in Singapore and there are some that are great value for money. This is neither!

Overall

bland

Am I missing something?

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Singapore City Centre?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:32 pm

I'm sorry, I must be missing something!
I have read quite a few reviews and some of them have been absolutely glowing. I've started to question whether or not I actually stayed at the same hotel, as I found it to be completely underwhelming.
Having stayed at properties during soft-opening and rebranding phases before, I have always been willing to make allowances, but there were too many little problems and glitches. They added up to a very disappointing stay.
The room was of average size, but decor was bland and furniture utilitarian. The bathroom was functional and had the usual Lanvin toiletries. Housekeeping was lacklustre. The "complimentary" use of a smart phone, which is now common in many hotels in Singapore, came in handy, but the "free" mini bar was disappointing in comparison with other hotels. The platinum, in-room welcome amenity was also disappointing, when compared to other Accor properties. A bottle of water and a little plate of tartlets was hardly impressive.
Breakfast at Racines was mediocre at best and promised a lot more than it delivered; there were limited bakery items and cereals; and lukewarm food on the hotplates.
As the lap pool is also used by the Virgin Active gym, if the hotel ever nears full occupancy, there will be standing room only. There is very little shade for those of us who are not sun lovers.
As a platinum Le Club Accor member, the fact that it is the only Sofitel in Singapore with a club lounge is an advantage, although the Sofitel Sentosa provides a fantastic full buffet breakfast in the restaurant as compensation.
Club Millesime does not compare well with other Sofitel lounges. Most of those I visit have a choice of table and chairs and more comfortable seating. This would be problematic here however, as the club lounge is very small. It was not busy when I was there, but once the hotel is fully operational, they'll need a shoe horn to fit people in. You have to exit the lounge to access the two restrooms, which are shared with the adjacent pool and gym. Evening canapes (including champagne) were of good quality, but limited and very repetitive. The high-tech drink dispenser only served room temperature white wine. Also the strict dress code was not applied to everyone equally.
On my last day, there were workers outside my window, still putting finishing touches to the exterior of the hotel. Also, inexplicably, the lights in my room went out. I didn't bother requesting late check out as I couldn't wait to get to my next destination.
Another annoying hiccup occurred after my stay. For some reason, the points I was awarded were deleted from my account. I immediately contacted the hotel and was given different reasons, by two different people, for this anomaly. The points were later reimbursed.

Last edited by Delta F; Nov 11, 2017 at 1:50 pm Reason: mistake
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I don't think Sofitel Sentosa and the So provides free breakfast as compensation for the lack of lounge. I stand corrected. I'll visit this Sofitel next week and will write a review.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:09 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by cowism
I don't think Sofitel Sentosa and the So provides free breakfast as compensation for the lack of lounge. I stand corrected. I'll visit this Sofitel next week and will write a review.
Sofitel Sentosa has offered complimentary breakfast both times I've been there as a platinum member.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by cowism
Sorry my mistake. In my welcome letter at the Sofitel So, I vaguely remember being told that one of the platinum amenities was free breakfast, but I'm not 100% sure, as my rate included breakfast. I've taken that out of my review, just in case. Sofitel Sentosa however, definitely offered free breakfast, which is one of the best I've ever had and I'm unashamedly a buffet breakfast tragic. The Sofitel So do compensate very well if a room upgrade is not available.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:18 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Delta F
I'm sorry, I must be missing something!
I have read quite a few reviews and some of them have been absolutely glowing. I've started to question whether or not I actually stayed at the same hotel, as I found it to be completely underwhelming.
Having stayed at properties during soft-opening and rebranding phases before, I have always been willing to make allowances, but there were too many little problems and glitches. They added up to a very disappointing stay.
The room was of average size, but decor was bland and furniture utilitarian. The bathroom was functional and had the usual Lanvin toiletries. Housekeeping was lacklustre. The "complimentary" use of a smart phone, which is now common in many hotels in Singapore, came in handy, but the "free" mini bar was disappointing in comparison with other hotels. The platinum, in-room welcome amenity was also disappointing, when compared to other Accor properties. A bottle of water and a little plate of tartlets was hardly impressive.
Breakfast at Racines was mediocre at best and promised a lot more than it delivered; there were limited bakery items and cereals; and lukewarm food on the hotplates.
As the lap pool is also used by the Virgin Active gym, if the hotel ever nears full occupancy, there will be standing room only. There is very little shade for those of us who are not sun lovers.
As a platinum Le Club Accor member, the fact that it is the only Sofitel in Singapore with a club lounge is an advantage, although the Sofitel Sentosa provides a fantastic full buffet breakfast in the restaurant as compensation.
Club Millesime does not compare well with other Sofitel lounges. Most of those I visit have a choice of table and chairs and more comfortable seating. This would be problematic here however, as the club lounge is very small. It was not busy when I was there, but once the hotel is fully operational, they'll need a shoe horn to fit people in. You have to exit the lounge to access the two restrooms, which are shared with the adjacent pool and gym. Evening canapes (including champagne) were of good quality, but limited and very repetitive. The high-tech drink dispenser only served room temperature white wine. Also the strict dress code was not applied to everyone equally.
On my last day, there were workers outside my window, still putting finishing touches to the exterior of the hotel. Also, inexplicably, the lights in my room went out. I didn't bother requesting late check out as I couldn't wait to get to my next destination.

I get where you're coming from, but personally think this may simply be a property that is trying to test out different things. Agree, warm white wine should be a no-brainer, but the breakfast spread is something I know they are fine tuning. I didn't have anything from the pots while I stayed - instead was presented with several options of dishes. (eg avocado on toast or Smoke Salmon Benedict).

The Virgin Active members in the hotel pool was something I was annoyed with as well and raised with management. Details of the response is in my review.

As also mentioned they are working on other shade designs for the pool area as well as an Italian Alfresco restaurant.

I believe they are trying out different concepts. Maybe more than other properties this is taking longer as the property owner is also very involved in the processes.

I would give it some time. I will be there again in a couple of weeks and will also report back.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:38 pm

I agree gilbertaue.
I don't think they should have opened, as they're just nowhere near ready yet. I wish I'd been given the option to stay at one of the sister hotels, as they are both far superior in every way; except of course for the lack of a club lounge (such as it is).
Good luck with your next stay. I'm not willing to give it another go. Cheers!

Last edited by Delta F; Nov 13, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I go the other way here.. I stay far away from the other two Sofitels. Too many misses there to consider them again.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
I go the other way here.. I stay far away from the other two Sofitels. Too many misses there to consider them again.
I also truly enjoyed my City Center staycation (got upgraded to Chinatown suite) including RACINES lunch and I'm taking back my parents to Sentosa (also suite, fingers crossed for villa upgrade) this week-end for their birthdays.

However, I could visit Sofitel So for dinner but not for staying anymore. This is not at the level of W Bangkok or the W Hotels (APAC) they are targeting. Pool is often privatized on week-ends and the rooms are too small with no view. It should be a small MGallery to me.

Julien
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Hotel is AMAZING! Will report back.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Best Sofitel in Singapore!

Map| 6 Reviews | 83% Recommended

9 Wallich Street Singapore, SG 078885

Best Sofitel in Singapore! (38 Photos)

Background

Sofitel Singapore City Center is a new Accor property that opened it's doors in Oct 2017. I have been wanting to try this hotel for a while since I have been passing by quite often. I could not find rates on the Accor App, thus I took the trouble to email the hotel for the booking.

Sofitel Singapore City Center is located just above Tanjong Pagar MRT. It is at the edge of the CBD and walking distance to Chinatown and with a bit of effort, Raffles Place. It can be a nice walk to Marina Bay especially at night, as the temperature typically drops a notch.

2_DSC_5182.JPG

Check In

I was greeted by the chief concierge and told to check-in on the 5th floor. Subsequently, brought up to the lounge for check-in as a platinum member. Unfortunately, I was not upgraded and was not shared the benefits as a platinum member. I had to ask why I wasn't upgraded. Thankfully, this was the only blight in the whole hotel experience and I shared my experience with the guest experience manager.

Room

The room is typical Sofitel. However, I felt that more thoughts were put in to the stay more pleasant. Some examples are:

- A bin for recycling

- Colouring book

- Full set of writing tools

The room was also equipped with the Sofitel MyBed, Bose sound system and a huge TV. Bathroom amenities were Lanvin. The room also had a yoga mat, if you are keen to do some stretching.  I will let the pictures do the talking.

DSC_0059_4.JPGDSC_0067_4.JPGDSC_0068_4.JPGDSC_0069_4.JPGDSC_0072_4.JPGDSC_0076_4.JPGDSC_0085_4.JPGDSC_5195.JPG

1_DSC_0060_4.JPG

Hotel Amenities

Here are some pictures of the hotel amenities

Pool, Jacuzzi, outdoor lawn and SoFit.

The pool is a 30m lap pool. While there are no nice views to boot, it gets a good amount of sun (which I like) and plenty of chairs to put your towels. However, they tend to get filled up quickly as the members from Virgin Active can access the pool. Hotel staff are aware that it will cause overcrowding and they are very working hard  with the gym to manage the numbers.

DSC_0102_4.JPGDSC_0105_4.JPGDSC_0106_4.JPGDSC_0114_3.JPG

Club Lounge (Club Millesime). Cocktail hours are from 5.30pm to 7.30pm. I thought the lounge is huge enough to accomodate guests when they fully open. Food quality is great and they serve champagne. Love it!

DSC_0107_4.JPGDSC_0110_3.JPGDSC_0112_2.JPGDSC_0113_3.JPGDSC_0127_3.JPGDSC_0128_3.JPGDSC_0129_3.JPG

Dining

Our rate included breakfast and we had it once in the lounge and another day in the main restaurant, Racines. I would recommend that you visit the restaurant for the full spread. Food is fresh and spread is great!

DSC_5143.JPGDSC_5144.JPGDSC_5147.JPGDSC_5151.JPGDSC_5153.JPGDSC_5158.JPGDSC_5166.JPGDSC_5169.JPGDSC_5170.JPGDSC_5172.JPGDSC_5173.JPGDSC_5174.JPG

We also had dinner at Racines. The lobster bisque and desserts are to die for. The quality of food and service is top notch. DSC_5210.JPGDSC_5211.JPGDSC_5213.JPG

Service

This is the brightest spot of the hotel. Every single staff were very willing to make sure your stay was enjoyable. It made you feel that every one of them were happy to work for the hotel.

They showed that they were very proud of the Sofitel brand. I was also told that every member on staff have to perform the candle lighting ritual.

DSC_5198.JPGDSC_5199.JPG

Overall

While the hotel features what a Sofitel must have in terms of hardware, it's soft product does the hardware most justice with the most sincere service (at least in Singapore) I have experience. That said, I will be back in December!

Mods: I cant seem to rotate the pictures! Please help!

Best Sofitel in Singapore!

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Singapore City Centre?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.