Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W San Diego Grand Opening

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 2 Million Miler Star Gold, AA Million Miler, Exec Plat
W San Diego Grand Opening

The W San Diego has their Grand Opening party this Saturday. As a Platinum member of SPG who anticipates spending an increasing amount of time at their hotel, any ideas on how to score tickets to their opening event?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Have you tried begging the platinum concierge?
Old Jan 9, 2003, 7:08 pm

I hope that if you go, or if not then if you have a chance to pass by that you can give us your report on what you think of this property.

I'm planning to be in diego at the end of February and I'm thinking of digging deeper into my pocket and paying the extra bucks to stay here. So, I'm just trying to get a feel of how this W compares to the other ones in NYC and whether the concept of this property is worth the extra money.

------------------
Got points ? Got smiles !
Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
thinking about going there next weekend.
any feedback? any good rate?
Old Feb 2, 2003, 9:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pegasus8228:
</font>
I stayed at the W SD last month & wrote this trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/004493.html
Old Feb 2, 2003, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pegasus8228:
</font>
Sorry, I posted the wrong link. Here is the trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/005936.html
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I stayed there last Friday night. Here are some observations:

- Brand new building, not a retrofit (with the possible exception of the restaurant, which is next door/attached with the beach bar on the roof)

- Not your typical dark, club like W. It's very bright, with lots of blues and whites. The rooms are painted white, and are fairly descent sized.

- Was given a high floor "spectacular" room as a gold booked into a lower floor "wonderful" room

- The locals really love this place as a nightclub - the line was around the side of the hotel when I checked in at about 8pm on Friday. The outside beach bar is pretty neat - they draw in a good crowd.

- The staff seems friendlier than most of the other W's I have stayed at.

- My only complaints: the rooms don't have any heavy curtains, only 2" wood blinds that don't block out much light. The room was pretty bright at 8am when I was trying to sleep off a hangover. The shower water pressure was quite low (most likely water restrictor).

Overall, I was impressed how smoothly the place was running since it's only been in operation about 2 months.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 1:24 am

Did anyone get to their opening party? Report?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 4:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked in last night. Plat status was immediatly acknowledged without queing. Checked in late on a Tuesday and fully expected to get my 2 double "wonderful" room since the hour was late. Clerk said let me check to see if I can get you a better room. I was assigned a huge Kool Korner. Room was very spacious. Had a DVD player, huge soaking tub and a walkin shower with a rain dome shower head that is like heaven! Next to the tub was a container of bath salts, a bath bomb and a scrubbing lotion. I definitly see a bath in my future tonight! I hate the wooden blinds because they don't block out all the light. High speed line wasn't working when I checked in last night so we will see if they fix it today.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This property has (I believe) 16 suites. I'm sure there was probably one available if you had pressed for one. The Korner rooms are nice though!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Often times they will put plats in the Kool Korner rooms over the suites since they seem to be preferred over the suites. This was mentioned to me as I was checking out earlier this year.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Update on my current stay. Yesterday morning around 8AM I dropped off a bag of laundry for same day service at the front desk. Due to a crazy schedule I haven't been home since last Monday and only had a few days of business clothes so I have been using the laundry services in the hotels the past two weeks. I returned to my room around 8PM and laundry was no where to be found in room. Called whenever/whatever line and they researched the problem. They said my laundry was still sitting behind the front desk. I told the girl on the phone that I had no clean clothes left and that I needed that shirt and skirt for the morning. After much discussion she sent it to another hotel and delivered it to me this morning. I was told I would receive it by 7AM it did not actually arrive till 7:30AM. Overall they did a good job of rectifying the problem. I was also promised some bonus starpoints for my problem, I will report back when/if they post.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Called whenever/whatever line and they researched the problem. They said my laundry was still sitting behind the front desk.</font>
This has happened to me soooooooo many times (not just at Starwoods) in the U.S. that I now make the extra effort to hand over the goods only to who I know has the actual responsibility for the "same day" service (I've found it's usually Housekeeping) and/or getting it out to the Dry Cleaners if they don't do it "in-house."

I've many times dropped off with the Front Desk or Bell Desk and told it would be taken care of, and then nothing! And when checking...just like you experienced...it's still sitting there!

I really know I'm in trouble in advance, when after dropping off in the early morning, I return to the hotel in the evening and see my plastic bag still sitting right where the employee put it that morning, in the corner or wherever.

The major hotels in Asia seem to never mess this up. You can call in the morning and they pick-up your laundry right away and if it's same day, when you return later that evening, it's hanging in your closest or pressed and folded as requested.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:14 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kluau88:
Often times they will put plats in the Kool Korner rooms over the suites since they seem to be preferred over the suites. This was mentioned to me as I was checking out earlier this year.</font>
?

The room next to the Kool Korner rooms is the lounge for the suites. It can either be a 2 room suite with the Kool Korner as the bedroom or the room on the other side of the suite room as the beedroom or even a 3 room suite with the Kool Korner the suite room and the room next to it.

auh2o-

BTW the one on 17 is my favorite.

Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:48 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Just completed another 4 day stay at the W San Diego last weekend. Upgraded to Kool Corner Room. There was a box of toffee in one of those chinese takeout boxes with chopsticks in my room along with a note from the Whatever/Whenever Manager welcoming me back to the W San Diego. By the large tub there was a pink grapefruit bath ball, the Thymes Eucalyptus Body Scrub, a bath scrub, a bar of hypoallergenic gentle face soap (www.latherup.com), and Tub Tea Milk Bath Blends (Lavendar and Orange Blossom). The living room and "Beach" were packed on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. If you arrive on the weekend they give you these blue VIP Cards so you don't need to deal with the lines. The key cards also allow you to bypass the lines. Overall an excellent stay and I will be back again in July

Other notes...one of the waitresses (hmm I know this isn't the right term they use ) at Rice mentioned they are building a WOW suite in the hotel that is suppose to be top notch and also building a day spa.

For those who keep track of this stuff from my 2 trips to the W San Diego, the Kool Corner rooms are xx14.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.