Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Westin Ottawa

Cant say enough good things about this hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. I frequently receive platinum upgrades including a suite with fireplace last week when I stayed there. Great food at the restaurant off the lobby as well - the Shore Club. A little pricey but the bar menu offers some modestly priced but tasty offerings.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Stayed there for 6 nights earlier this month. The rate I had booked included lounge access and they had put me up in the top floor. The entire hotel was rather dark, more reflective of its 80s style decor that had been updated but still was dark. My contact in Ottawa told me it had been a Fourseasons ages ago...

Anyway, Ian in the lounge is really nice, the offerings up there are OK and probably above par for a N. American hotel lounge. Breakfast downstairs was pretty good and very reasonably priced. The hotel was filled with European tour groups who packed the restaurant for breakfast and dinner.

The hotel has a killer location if you have to be in that business/government area. For vacationing it has not much to offer.

Interestingly the key cards were branded by Marriott....
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Sheraton Ottawa

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Stayed there for 6 nights earlier this month. The rate I had booked included lounge access and they had put me up in the top floor. The entire hotel was rather dark, more reflective of its 80s style decor that had been updated but still was dark. My contact in Ottawa told me it had been a Fourseasons ages ago...

Anyway, Ian in the lounge is really nice, the offerings up there are OK and probably above par for a N. American hotel lounge. Breakfast downstairs was pretty good and very reasonably priced. The hotel was filled with European tour groups who packed the restaurant for breakfast and dinner.

The hotel has a killer location if you have to be in that business/government area. For vacationing it has not much to offer.

Interestingly the key cards were branded by Marriott....
Great review and recommendation, oliver2002. For clarification, you were at the Sheraton (the last two posts recommended The Westin). I agree with you about the location, and that is very interesting, about it being a Four Seasons once upon a time.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
I'll add, between being a Four Seasons and a Sheraton, there was a stint where it was under the Hilton flag (albeit rather brief). I know because I worked there for about a year in 1995 (Sheraton). We had silver plated flatware with Four Seasons, Hilton and Sheraton branding at one point, all in use at the same time. It took several years before management was presumably forced to discard the hand-me-downs from days past. It cost thousands to do so - that stuff isn't cheap. I know that because I eventually was on the external financial audit team as I progressed career wise.

I wonder if "Ian" is the same one who used to work there two decades ago. I wouldn't be surprised. If he's over 6 feet tall, I'm sure it's him.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by OMCA
I wonder if "Ian" is the same one who used to work there two decades ago. I wouldn't be surprised. If he's over 6 feet tall, I'm sure it's him.
Yes, the gentle giant. He was mentioned a few times in this thread and I immediately knew it was him when I heard him talking to the guests in the lounge.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Here are my thoughts about Sheraton vs Westin, and also for comparison purposes, non-Starwood properties.

The Westin is clearly the better Starwood hotel in Ottawa if money is not an issue. The rooms are very nice and worlds apart from the Sheraton. The Sheraton is an older hotel and will never be on par with the Westin. That said, they recently renovated rooms on high floors (Club rooms) so the Sheraton drawbacks have been mitigated but remains a couple of notches below the Westin.

While I always consider the Westin when I stay in Ottawa because it’s a solid property, I almost always end up booking elsewhere because I find it hard to justify the price premium. The Sheraton is almost always cheaper, and especially on weekends when the Sheraton can have very good rates. The fact that the Sheraton has a lounge while the Westin does not, in addition to being cheaper, makes a big difference for me. The service in the Sheraton lounge is great. One time I went there with my mom who has Celiac disease and they brought her a separate gluten-free plate. Lounge access has always been granted for 2 rooms. The offerings in the Sheraton lounge are not fantastic, but for sure above average for North American standards.

The Sheraton only has one suite room and it’s not advertised on SPG.com so one might not even know they have a suite in the hotel. You have to call to get it booked. The price for the suite is a bit below 2x the standard room rate. I have never been upgraded to the suite and I would not expect to since there is only one. At least at the Westin you can get an upgrade, but my success rate has been weak. I believe the Westin will generally upgrade Platinums to a suite when available, but the problem is that they do not have many suites. The Westin suites are great but I get upgraded so rarely that I do not really see it as a major plus compared to the Sheraton where I will never get a suite.

The Sheraton recently replaced all three of its elevators so the situation is working well now. The Westin however still has their horrible and unique system. Many people type in their floor incorrectly or type it in more than once when elevators are slow (making them even slower) so elevators will stop at many floors that they do not need to stop.

The Westin being connected to a shopping mall is great particularly in the winter. The neighborhood around the Westin is a bit more questionable as mentioned by some others earlier in the thread. Some mentioned that they always felt safe anyway, but you should note that in the last 2-3 years crime has really shot up in the By Ward Market. There are frequent stabbings and shootings involving gang members. So the area was safe before, but you cannot say it’s safe now. Note that the Westin is not in By Ward Market per se, but it’s not far so it night you’ll want to walk west rather than north east. I do not think the area of the Sheraton is immune either. One time I checked out of the hotel early morning and there were probably 10 police cars in the street behind the Sheraton and the street blocked to traffic.

Because the Sheraton is old, the sound proofing is not great, but I almost always get upgraded to the top floor where the noise from the street is more muted. Also the hotel will tend to put groups (including youths) on lower floors so there are more noise issues from hallways on lower floors, not top floors. Despite the Sheraton being old, the bed is very comfortable, on par with the Westin.

As others mentioned, the parking at World Exchange Plaza in front of Sheraton is free on weekends. I know there is a sign saying no overnight parking, but they also show overnight rates so it’s confusing if we can park or not. I often park overnight and never had a problem.

So overall I find the Sheraton to be a better deal than the Westin in most respects particularly when considering room rates.

If I want a more upscale hotel than the Sheraton, then I end up at Andaz far more often than the Westin. The hardware of Westin is great, but Andaz is an even newer property and even nicer. I would argue that the Andaz has replaced Westin as the best hotel in town. I get upgraded to suites or corner rooms at Andaz every time so I have a better success rate than the Westin. The Andaz rates are sometimes higher than Westin, sometimes lower, and on average I would say similar. The breakfast at Andaz wins hands down over the Westin where you need to pay to upgrade for hot food. The Andaz might not have Asia-style breakfast, but it is one of the best North American breakfasts I have seen. The roof top bar at Andaz is great. The Andaz gym on the top floor has great views of the city and while smaller than the Westin gym, I prefer the Andaz for the views. The only advantage of the Westin hotel in my mind (relative to Hyatt) is being connected to the shopping mall. Everything else, Andaz wins.

If I find the Westin to be generally a below average value proposition, it’s even worse at the Fairmont. Very expensive, small rooms, no breakfast.

For people who care about a lounge, then a competitor to Sheraton would be the Hilton, which is all around a nicer and newer property. The Hilton is generous with suite upgrades, which you cannot get at Sheraton. The only drawback is that the Hilton is not in Ottawa so if you need to be downtown then it’s a big minus and possibly a non-starter. The Marriott also has a lounge and being in town is perhaps a better comparison to the Sheraton than the Hilton. Unfortunately I have never been to the Marriott so I cannot provide a more complete comparison at the moment.

The other Starwood property in the Ottawa area is the 4P, which similar to the Hilton is in Gatineau. I have been to 4P maybe three times but is by far my least favorite option. If I want a cheaper hotel out of Ottawa center, I generally end up at the Double Tree Gatineau or at Hampton Inn Ottawa / Courtyard Ottawa East, generally even cheaper than 4P.
unclepants and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
The Sheraton Ottawa's club lounge is not serving food for the time being. They are giving all Platinum (and probably club floor) members tickets for alternate snack options. You can get a "Sheraton Complimentary Club Lounge Hors d'Oeuvres Plate" ticket for redemption in the bar / lounge between 5-7pm, along with a non-alcoholic beverage.

They're giving out breakfast buffet coupons for redemption in the dining room.

At check-in they told me that they expect the lounge to be fully operational on August 7th - they are waiting on a part for the air conditioner. There are still drinks, etc. available up there, just no food service. And it might be a little warm if you want to hang out.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Heads up the Sheraton Ottawa lounge is closed until mid to late January again.... this time it’s because they’re renovating the conference rooms upstairs and doing some work on the hallway. They want to have it open by the time Parliament is back in session and the hotel fills up again.

Theyre giving out our coupons for breakfast downstairs & hors d’oeuvres in the bar. The gratuity is accounted for in the coupons.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:47 am

Westin Ottawa = Stingy Breakfast, Poor Platinum Upgrades, Dismissive Service

The Westin Ottawa

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

The Westin Ottawa

11 Colonel By Dr Ottawa, ON CA K1N 9H4

Westin Ottawa = Stingy Breakfast, Poor Platinum Upgrades, Dismissive Service (7 Photos)

The Westin Ottawa

I have never been a fan of Westin Ottawa due to subpar value for the money, but it had been a while since I stayed so I came back for a 2-night stay to see how things had changed.  I can confirm that my opinion should remain as is, in fact if anything it’s worse than before so like last time my takeaway is that I probably won’t return soon.  

Westin Ottawa usually has quite high rates for most of the year, in fact more often than not rates are higher than at their most direct competitor the Andaz hotel which is less than 1 km away.  The Fairmont and Hilton are also in a similar price range as Westin.  Fairmont is in the same location as Westin but it’s a hotel of a different style (Fairmont is more historic and charming, but rooms are smaller and older).  The Hilton is across the river in Gatineau so less of a competitor for people who want to stay in downtown Ottawa.  Westin is usually priced over 250 CAD throughout the year and sometimes a lot higher than that in peak periods, but in the last week of December occupancy is relatively low in Ottawa so I got a rate of 170 CAD which was modestly above Andaz, Sheraton, Marriott, and considerably more than Delta where I could have paid less than 100 CAD for my dates.  I thought it was the best time of the year to give Westin another shot because rarely is the hotel priced above others by only 20-30 CAD.  

It is usually difficult to get a Platinum-Ambassador suite upgrade at Westin in most months, but I thought that maybe late December could be different because of low occupancy, which is also a reason I decided to stay there.  When I booked only 4 days before my arrival date, I saw suites were still available online with little time left for them to be sold.  I arrived at the hotel at 7:30pm so I was not asking for an early check-in, and it was late enough that they probably knew they were unlikely to sell the suites.  Despite this, I got an upgrade to a view room on a higher floor, that’s it.  That room type sells for a whopping 10 CAD more than the entry level room.  For a quick 2-night stay I did not mind much about the lack of suite, but I asked about their normal policy for upgrades mostly out of interest and to steer my decisions for future stays in Ottawa.  I was told that they normally upgrade Plats to junior suites or corner rooms but that they did not have any that night.  I pulled out my phone and I answered back that I could see both junior suites and corner rooms online so why did they say they were unavailable? I got a BS answer and the lady at front desk did not even bother to check anything on her screen; she had no intention whatsoever to look at anything or ask anybody about my room assignment.  Because my purpose was mostly to see how they handle upgrades (rather than caring a lot about the upgrade), I did not argue any further but I note that they seem to handle upgrades less generously than in the past so my opinion of Westin is downgraded.  The rate being below 200 CAD is a decent indication that the hotel was far from full (confirmed by several room types available online), plus the fact that it is unlikely that the hotel is filled with Platinums at this time of year.  By comparison, when I go to Andaz I have about 70% success rate on suite upgrades as Hyatt Globalist without ever having to ask because they always upgrade proactively.  In addition I have never been upgraded to anything less than a corner room at Andaz.  At Hilton I also get good success on suite upgrades, and at Delta less than one month ago I got a large suite too.  Sheraton has no suites but they have a lounge so it makes for better value for Plats than Westin which does not have a lounge.

Room

At the very least, I can state that the basic room at Westin is nice, in fact if you must stay within Marriott/Starwood and if you have no status and won’t get an upgrade in any event, then I believe this is the best room you can get in Ottawa if money is no object.  There is a stand-alone shower with good water pressure, which I prefer to the shower in a bathtub that you can find in older hotels such as Delta and Sheraton.  The room is of a good size and it is in good shape.  The entry level room is the strongest point of Westin (compared to the entry level room at other hotels); you will be comfortable even if not upgraded. It’s just that you’re most likely going to have to pay too much of a price premium relative to other Marriott/Starwood choices in my opinion, at least based on what I value.

IMG_1595.jpegIMG_1596.jpegIMG_1597.jpeg

Poor Elevators

The Westin still has its irritating elevator system where you enter your floor on the keypad and it tells you which elevator you must take.  The problem is that several people enter their floor number several times because they get impatient when the elevator is not coming for sometimes more than 5 minutes, and it can call a different elevator when you type the same floor a second time, so once an elevator arrives for you and you get in, it stops on several needless floors of people who typed in a floor twice or more.  This is happening both on the way up and on the way down. 

Dining

Platinums get the choice of points or breakfast, and even if you pick breakfast it’s continental only so no hot food.  In addition cappuccinos are only available if you pay extra.  Andaz’s Globalist breakfast leaves Westin in the dust: at Andaz you have a-la-carte breakfast fresh out of the kitchen with several unique options on the menu (non-boring and non-traditional), and you can order whatever you want and as many items as you want and pay nothing at all.  It’s night and day compared to Westin which feels a bit stingy.  At Delta the choice at the breakfast buffet is not as wide and not as high quality as Westin, but at least you get hot food there. That said, I did enjoy the healthy salad with fruits at Westin however. 

IMG_1598.jpegIMG_1599.jpegIMG_1600.jpegIMG_1601.jpeg

The location of Westin is excellent – it is centrally located and the main advantage in the winter is that it’s attached to a shopping mall so you don’t need to step foot outside to go shopping or go to the food court.  For this reason alone, personally I think it’s the single best location of all hotels in the city even though several others are very close and within walking distance, but the mall access is a nice plus in the winter.  

Overall

It was worth trying Westin again after a long hiatus to make sure I continue to peg this hotel correctly relative to others in Ottawa.  Now it’s clear that for this stay I paid a premium for Westin instead of going to Andaz but I would have been better off at Andaz (better room, better breakfast) and I would have saved money too.  Also in any hotel worldwide I do not appreciate staff giving me BS about room upgrades without even looking at room availability like they did at Westin for this stay.  To make matters worse, I got a feedback request e-mail from the Director of Operations of the hotel after I checked out, I sent constructive feedback, and I waited a few days to give them an opportunity to respond before posting my review.  To this day I have not heard back anything (several days later).  Not that I was asking questions that needed an answer, but it feels like I wasted my time giving them feedback if I am not even getting an acknowledgment.  

If staying within Marriott/Starwood, I continue to prefer Sheraton over Westin.  They have renovated their rooms recently so they are not as aging as they used to be. Granted, they clearly remain a notch below Westin, but at Sheraton you get a Club Lounge and the price tag is more moderate so in my opinion Sheraton is better value.  At Delta you have decent odds of suite upgrades, unlike at Sheraton and Westin.  I can understand that some people would not want to stay at Sheraton or Delta because they are 1970s style hotels and Westin is more modern; heck Westin Ottawa was even quoted twice in the thread “Best Westin in the world” so clearly opinions differ.  However if I am looking for something more modern at a higher price than Sheraton/Delta, then I will go at Andaz which does almost everything better than Westin except location, so if a hotel cannot even be the best in its city then it cannot be remotely close to being best in the world as far as I am concerned.  

Perhaps my review feels quite harsh.  In my book Westin is a hotel having nice entry level rooms in the best location but it is overpriced, has significantly subpar elite benefits relative to others, and my interaction with staff at reception or post check-out was not stellar to say the least.  No lounge, stingy breakfast, lack of Platinum upgrades, and high sticker price.  Westin is only a decent choice for people who are price-insensitive, who highly value a specific prime location, and people who need Marriott/Starwood night credits and who do not want to stay in the older hotels that Marriott has to offer in the city.

Westin Ottawa = Stingy Breakfast, Poor Platinum Upgrades, Dismissive Service

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Ottawa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:02 am

great review, thanks!

Great review! I was aware of the renos - but - I did not know how stingy they are with Plat upgrades.
BTW, while you were in house, the hotel was hosting hockey players participating in a big midget hockey tournament. Might explain the elevators?
You are 100 % correct about the Sheraton. I had a $89 stay last Dec to complete my 25 night min. While the lounge was closed but the full buffet brekkie was nice!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Great review! I was aware of the renos - but - I did not know how stingy they are with Plat upgrades.
BTW, while you were in house, the hotel was hosting hockey players participating in a big midget hockey tournament. Might explain the elevators?
You are 100 % correct about the Sheraton. I had a $89 stay last Dec to complete my 25 night min. While the lounge was closed but the full buffet brekkie was nice!
Well regarding the elevators, the previous time I stayed at Westin was January (= also low occupancy) and I witnessed the same thing with elevators. There was a group for some kind of office party going on and elevators were equally terrible as two weeks ago. If hockey groups or office parties can cause such delays with elevators in December-January, I am assuming that the situation is not better in times of high occupancy although I have not stayed at Westin in peak periods recently so I cannot confirm.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:30 am

Sheraton Ottawa = Older Hotel but Good Value

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel

150 Albert St Ottawa, ON CA K1P5G2

Sheraton Ottawa = Older Hotel but Good Value (11 Photos)

Sheraton Ottawa Hotel

I have stayed at Sheraton Ottawa before and I often find it’s solid value for the money particularly on weekends where rates are somewhat low and the Club Lounge is open unlike Delta and Marriott in Ottawa. The rooms are not as nice as at Westin Ottawa but Sheraton recently renovated the Club rooms on high floors so they have improved, the Westin does not have a lounge, and Sheraton is almost always cheaper so despite some weaknesses I think Sheraton is a good option. 

The location of Sheraton is equally good as Delta and Marriott, Sheraton is perhaps a bit more central but we’re only talking a few blocks away.  Westin is closer to the parliament and connected to a shopping mall so it’s the best location in my opinion but Sheraton is a good second.

Room

Sheraton only has two suites if I am not mistaken and I believe they are occupied by long-term guests so I have never seen suites available online and I never expect a suite upgrade when I book there.  I regularly get upgrades to Club rooms which is actually important since Sheraton is an older property with less than ideal soundproofing so I always want to be as high as possible to not be disturbed by traffic noise in the street.  In addition as mentioned above the Club rooms have been renovated recently and they now feel more spacious because they got rid of the bulky furniture that was taking up too much space.  The bathrooms have been modestly updated but still have a shower in the bathtub which is not to my liking.  

IMG_8419.jpegIMG_8420.jpegIMG_8421.jpeg

While I never hope for a suite upgrade at Sheraton, it’s not worse than at Westin where in theory the suites are nice but in practice I have experienced several times not getting a room upgrade in times of low occupancy even for short stays and even for room types below suites, based on bogus reasons from hotel staff so the whole thing often leaves a bad taste.  When I care the most about suites, Delta is usually my choice because they are generous with upgrades to elite guests over there.

For this stay I received a welcome amenity in both rooms I booked, a small pretzel with Dijon mustard, some chocolates with nuts, and a Porter beer from a local microbrewery which was nice.  

Dining

The Sheraton Club lounge is small but is quite nice, including a fireplace, an angled ceiling / windows and great natural lighting throughout.  

IMG_8427.jpegIMG_8428.jpeg

In many hotels I prefer to have breakfast in the restaurant but at this property I almost always have breakfast in the lounge because it is adequate and more peaceful.  They have a rotation of hot dishes which break from the routine North American breakfasts, for example I particularly like the breakfast burrito which they sometimes have, or other days they have an omelet on an English muffin with tomato sauce, or scrambled eggs with sausages, etc.

IMG_8429.jpegIMG_8430.jpeg

In the evening happy hour is ok but nothing outstanding: many veggies and dips, a couple of hot dishes for example meat balls + fried stuff, and desserts.  Alcohol is available for a charge.  The lounge being quite small we always get great personal service.  For this stay my mother was accompanying me; she must eat gluten-free because she has Celiac’s disease and when I informed staff they asked the kitchen to prepare a special dish just for her during happy hour: a salad and chicken.  This was a very nice gesture and not the first time that they treat her well when we stay there.  

IMG_8422.jpegIMG_8423.jpegIMG_8424.jpegIMG_8425.jpeg

Service

Service at this hotel is very good, not only in the lounge, but they always accommodate my special requests for example for this stay I asked to get communicating rooms which was granted, on a high floor to boot, plus the fact that they also gave us early check-in 11am for both rooms which was highly appreciated.

Overall

Overall Sheraton is good value for the money, perhaps the best value of all Marriott choices in Ottawa.  While the hotel cannot hide the fact that it’s a 1970s building, at least rooms are renovated, service is good, the lounge is above average for North American standards, and the price tag is reasonable.  The only negative is the lack of suite upgrades but since they don’t have suites there is no disappointment and no frustration, unlike at Westin.  In a higher price range Andaz is my favorite choice in Ottawa but within the Marriott chain Sheraton is at the top of my list when considering value for the money.

Sheraton Ottawa = Older Hotel but Good Value

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Ottawa Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
unclepants and flyme2 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:59 am

I'll have to give the Sheraton another look. My wife and I used to visit regularly, even when it was a Four Seasons hotel, many years ago. Originally it was an efficiency apartment building, hence the lack of suites. It was never intended as a hotel.
escape4 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Any update on the Sheraton Ottawa? Are they currently closed due to Covid-19?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 6:38 am

Oct 15

Schedule to re-open on 15 October!
Jebby_ca likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.