Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Special needs diets and United meal service

Hi,
Recently I was diagnosed with heart failure and as a direct result I am on a restricted diet of 2k mg per day or less. While I plan to continue to travel, I am wondering about Polaris meal services on international flight. Is there a way to request meal service prior to departure that falls within my dietary guidelines? Or is that just a pie in the sky wish?

Hope you all have a better start to your 2022 than I did.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekwang
Hi,
Recently I was diagnosed with heart failure and as a direct result I am on a restricted diet of 2k mg per day or less. While I plan to continue to travel, I am wondering about Polaris meal services on international flight. Is there a way to request meal service prior to departure that falls within my dietary guidelines? Or is that just a pie in the sky wish?

Hope you all have a better start to your 2022 than I did.
Sorry for the bad health news. I guess that is 2k mg of sodium per day? Unfortunately I would not rely on UA to provide inflight meals satisfying those requirements. The special meals are currently quite limited, I'm not aware of a low sodium option that existed even when they weren't, and I don't believe there is a good source for the nutrition facts of the meals.

The good news is the tasty pie in the sky cookie is relatively moderate on sodium.
https://www.nutritionix.com/i/elis-c...db460009ef0241
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do you mean sodium? You could request a low sodium meal, but if it is important to you to follow the strict guideline, I would not rely on any airline's catering department. You may have to bring your own, if possible.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
2000mg of sodium is actually around the recommended daily intake (based on the label above, it's 2250mg)--probably need to wait for OP to clarify. I swear I saw low-sodium as a special meal choice, but I guess not. LH does offer it.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
2000mg of sodium is actually around the recommended daily intake (based on the label above, it's 2250mg)--probably need to wait for OP to clarify. I swear I saw low-sodium as a special meal choice, but I guess not. LH does offer it.
About two years ago (just before Covid) I sat next to someone who had a low sodium meal brought to him. Perhaps that has been withdrawn?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I fear UA will be useless in this regard. First they can't be bothered, even in Business Class, to do any special meals (apart from one weird one IIRC - obviously wanted by a senior exec), even regularly requested ones. Second, UA's catering tends to be on the heavy sugar and salt side, so pretty well anything they serve will not be acceptable. The best bet will be to self cater.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LondonElite
About two years ago (just before Covid) I sat next to someone who had a low sodium meal brought to him. Perhaps that has been withdrawn?
Probably. No longer listed on this website... https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:34 am
Suspended

Probably. No longer listed on this website... https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html
That's strange. It's not even listed as a meal that was once but is currently not available. Maybe I misheard.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That's strange. It's not even listed as a meal that was once but is currently not available. Maybe I misheard.
There is a SSR code for low sodium, and they quite possibly did once offer it, but I never noticed it as an option with United in recent years. Definitely not now with the nearly non-existent special meals offering.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

My apologies, yes, I can only have 2000mg of sodium per day. It's a big change for me, a guy who only weeks ago didn't have to worry about reading labels.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Presently no specials meals except Kosher

Special meals
We are working hard to return our special meal program to more flights across the United network. Check for the latest updates on special meal availability below.

Special meals that are currently available:
Kosher meals are prepared by Kosher caterers under strict Rabbinical supervision. All Kosher meals provided are Glatt Kosher. Special Kosher meals for Passover meals are supplied during Passover.

Currently, Kosher meals are offered on the following United routes:
  • All long-haul international flights departing New York/Newark
  • All short-haul international and domestic flights over 2,000 miles departing New York/Newark
  • Chicago and Tel Aviv
  • San Francisco and Tel Aviv
  • San Francisco and Sydney
We plan to reintroduce Kosher meals on more routes in the near future:
  • All long-haul international flights departing the U.S. (effective January 1, 2022)
  • All short-haul international flights and domestic flights over 2,000 miles (effective January 1, 2022)
  • All international flights inbound to the U.S. (effective February 1, 2022)
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Their offerings are:

1) Hindu
2) Gluten Intolerant
3) Kosher
4) Muslim
5) Vegan (Strict) Vegetarian
6) Asian Vegan
7) Child
8) Jain (Mumbain Only)--not relevant
9) Japanese
10) Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo

IDK which would even be close to low sodium. I guess when I am able to return to int'l travel, and United has the full menu offerings back in place, I will have to pack my own melas for business class, which will be a real shame. Hopefully I can get low sodium in the Polaris Lounge pre-flight!

Last edited by ekwang; Feb 16, 2022 at 10:28 am Reason: Better detail in post
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ekwang
Their offerings are:

1) Hindu
2) Gluten Intolerant
3) Kosher
4) Muslim
5) Vegan (Strict) Vegetarian
6) Asian Vegan
7) Child
8) Jain (Mumbain Only)--not relevant
9) Japanese
10) Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo

IDK which would even be close to low sodium. I guess when I am able to return to int'l travel, and United has the full menu offerings back in place, I will have to pack my own melas for business class, which will be a real shame. Hopefully I can get low sodium in the Polaris Lounge pre-flight!
As posted above by WineCountry....Please note - none of these special meals (except Kosher out of Newark) are being offered currently by UA.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
... (except Kosher out of Newark) ....
It is more than ex-EWR for Kosher

The India market is another area that UA adjusts the standard meal offerings.

However, general (expanded list) special meals are not presently offered.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
I asked UA via twitter about gluten free meals and when they might return and was told hopefully by mid-year. Not very precise of a response but it’s something. Could go either they reintroduce all special meals at once or they roll it out slowly one by one or in test markets only. I think we know the answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.