Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, *wood Gold

Just received my invite for Google Fi and interested in seeing how people like it so far. Interested in seeing how the system is working and if the call transitions have been reliable.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I requested an invitation on April 22 around noon, and I'm still waiting to receive an invitation. My request has been acknowledged.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:46 pm

I requested an invite on the 1st day that I could and have yet to receive it.

I already have a Nexus 6 but some early adopters (like me) have been screwed by random signal loss that plagues some of these phones and it is annoying. If you have not purchased the phone yet, I advise you to do some research about it as it has affected quite a few Nexus 6 users and there is much speculation as to the root cause. I had no problems until 6 days after my trial period was over. I have limped along with it since then but my opinion of the Nexus line is not what it used to be.

I'm probably going to try the service and see if that helps with the signal loss but I'll probably dump the phone for whatever I can get for it and switch to something else if I dislike the Fi service or wait until a phone without these issues is supported for the Fi service.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:33 pm

I am waiting on my invite, but am surprised that you are locked out of their forum until you are subscribed.

Originally Posted by Oreto
I requested an invite on the 1st day that I could and have yet to receive it.

I already have a Nexus 6 but some early adopters (like me) have been screwed by random signal loss that plagues some of these phones and it is annoying. If you have not purchased the phone yet, I advise you to do some research about it as it has affected quite a few Nexus 6 users and there is much speculation as to the root cause. I had no problems until 6 days after my trial period was over. I have limped along with it since then but my opinion of the Nexus line is not what it used to be.

I'm probably going to try the service and see if that helps with the signal loss but I'll probably dump the phone for whatever I can get for it and switch to something else if I dislike the Fi service or wait until a phone without these issues is supported for the Fi service.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:24 pm

Received invite today. Going with the default 3gig of data. Should have the SIM in 3-5 days. I'll update on any difference in service, if any.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:00 am

Ordered

I got my invite last night. I signed up this morning. Should have the Nexus 6 tomorrow. I am a heavy Google Voice user, so some of the things regarding it are not entirely clear to me, but I noticed that if I didn't "port" my GV # into it, it made it appear as if I might lose that number, which I definitely do not want to do. So, I ported it in. It looks like if I cancel Fi, I can keep my GV # though.

Still not crazy about the lack of a MicroSD card or removable battery, but I like to experiment and this will be my backup phone, so why not?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:25 am

You can always keep an old Google number and port in a new one. It cost $25. When people get their account set up, I had a couple of questions including:

*Does it support short codes for SMS?
*Do they charge for international MMS? Do they have full support?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Update: invitation received Nexus 6 & Fi welcome kit ordered

Like some others in this thread, I received my invitation last night and ordered a Nexus 6 & a welcome kit for arrival next week.

I am looking forward to porting my service from T Mobile (which has worked well) to project Fi and with any luck will have it active in time for my next international travel. As a very light user of cellular data I expect my bill to be cut in half from $60 to $30 or less a month.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by edweird
Like some others in this thread, I received my invitation last night and ordered a Nexus 6 & a welcome kit for arrival next week.

I am looking forward to porting my service from T Mobile (which has worked well) to project Fi and with any luck will have it active in time for my next international travel. As a very light user of cellular data I expect my bill to be cut in half from $60 to $30 or less a month.
We might be in similar boats. I was on T-Mo postpaid and was talked into their simple choice plan. It was OK but, at the time, the service blew chunks in Guangzhou. There were other places but that one hurt the most. I tried to go back to my grandfathered plan but no dice.

I ended up with T-Mo prepaid which was ~$29/month taking into account that I bought refill cards at the supermarket with my AMEX BCP. The plan is unlimited calls and texts plus 5gig of LTE data. However, I'm only allowed to tether 100MB vs. no restrictions on the postpaid account.

With the G-Fi plan, I could pay less if I make a concerted attempt to utilize Wi-Fi more but 800MB of data is nothing so I suspect that T-Mo will average out cheaper but without the access to Sprint towers and the international coverage options. It will be a 12 month trial run. It was a no-brainer leaving simple choice for prepaid but not so easy from prepaid to Google.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:30 am

One question I have to wonder about is whether Google has its own roaming agreements or whether it is riding on TMobile's. If it is using TMobile's roaming agreements, then the international service will be on par. (Their roaming plan is far more similar to TMobile's plan than Sprint's which is why I am assuming that it is using TMobile's).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:32 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I checked my invite status on Wednesday: 3-4 weeks. I got my invite yesterday (Thursday). About six hours later I got an email advising me that I could now check my invite status. Clearly they're pumping this stuff out quickly!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:07 am

God I wish we get something like that in Europe
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mrgreen
God I wish we get something like that in Europe
I don't know where in Europe you are, but in the UK we've got far better and far cheaper - even from the major carriers let alone the virtual networks.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, *wood Gold
I received my phone on Tuesday and have been giving it a workout in the Washington, DC and Baltimore areas. Call quality has been extremely good and I haven't dropped a single call to this point. During my commute home on 66 every evening I have two spots where calls would drop on AT&T. No drops to this point.

Overall the Nexus 6 is a pretty good phone and I've been impressed with the battery life. Couldn't make it through a full day on my Note 3 and the Nexus 6 lasts me all day with back-up. Camera seems to be ok on the back side and a bit lackluster when shooting in dimly lit spots.

I will be testing in SE Virginia on the later part of next week and will provide a quick update. Should be a great opportunity to see how the Sprint portion goes as T-Mobile has no coverage in the area I'm going.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:16 pm

Just got mine yesterday too. Only made two calls so far and it works great..
Been spending most of my time setting up the various apps and stuff.
I'll be trying out the international roaming feature in a few weeks. I'll report back then. My wife will be on T-Mobile free international roaming plan, so I'll be able to compare.

Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.