Old Nov 11, 2001, 7:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Trip Report..Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

811 7th Ave New York, NY US 10019

Trip Report..Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers (0 Photo)

An "A".

I should have played Lotto, because my stars were in alignment.

I arrived at 11:30AM. Not only had I been upgraded to a suite on 43, but also, the room was READY. The guest had checked out early.

A WONDERFUL desk agent named HELEN checked me in. She was visibly excited for me that I had been upgraded to a nice suite. I like that....she really loved her property. She had just returned from vacation and explained to me that she was taking a little extra time to make sure she didn't forget a thing. Nice touch, Helen.

I had been upgraded to a bedroom suite on the front side of the hotel, with the living room overlooking 7th ave down to Times Sq, and the BR looking uptown. This suite would have fit THREE of my "suites" from W NY.

My room was fresh, bright, clean, smelled nice, and was well-appointed....despite the Yankees cap available for purchase on the mini bar (GO ORIOLES!). 1 and a half baths. The master bath was beautiful....but the tub was a time machine. Literally, it was as though the entire room had been redone except for the tub/shower. Clean, but older than me...and I'm 37.

Club lounge was closed.....I believe for renovations....and I received comp breakfast for two to compensate. YIKES. The buffet was amazing. Lots of choice, EXCELLENT. I heard the purchase price was about $25 apiece. Worth it....but it was GREAT to get it for free!

No mysterious charges on my bill, though I don't understand why my LOCAL calls were free, but my "800" calls were two bucks apiece.

One downside...no dedicated SPG desk for check-in/out. Not a big deal as the desk was amply staffed.

I will return to this hotel.

Trip Report..Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 11, 2001, 10:35 am
mypriceline.com

LOCAL calls were free, but my "800" calls were two bucks apiece

They figure local calls will only be that but 800 calls will eat in their LD revenue. One way to avoid this is get a local access number for your long distance company. Then you make a local call. Some even give you a lower per mi nrate for calling locally as opposed to making an 800 call..

I believe NJ by the way is making their pay phones 50 cents, unlimited local call. So now the hotel/pay phone ratio is a little bit better. Their reason is many people are now using cell phones driving their variable costs per unit up(as I implied for hotel)..

I personally was at NY Penn Station and the damm phone was 25 cents for 30 seconds for a LOCAL call. It doesnt even ask you more money. Got disconnected and had to call back 4 times. Try finding enough quarters for that.

[This message has been edited by mypriceline.com (edited 11-11-2001).]

Old Nov 11, 2001, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
If the telephone equipment for a 240 room hotel costs $5000 per month, and the lines cost $1000 per month, then the fixed cost per room is $25 per month. (I pulled these numbers out of the air, but I bet they're reasonable.) That stays the same no matter how many people use cell phones. What changes are the variable costs (which go down) and the revenue (which is all variable, and which goes WAY down, as it should). The fixed costs of the telephone system ought to be considered part of the fixed costs of operating the hotel.
Old Nov 13, 2001, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow.... quite a stay. I have to say that the Sheraton NY is probably no. 1 on the hotels I hate to stay at. While I like Starwood and they treat me very well almost all the time (their Concierge service is the best), my experiences at this property have been at best mediocre. Ive stayed many times as a Platinum and NEVER been upgraded. Check-in agents range from indifferent to grouchy, and the rooms are so so small....

I guess I have to send my stars into the shop to get aligned....

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 11-13-2001).]
Old Nov 13, 2001, 9:28 pm

Shinbal-- it is nice to hear that you enjoyed ur stay in the Sheraton NY and it is definitely great to see people like Helen taking pride in her hotel. Too bad, i hardly see people like her when i stay at an SPG hotel!

It is also nice to hear some positive reports on FT. Keep them coming! It seems that most of the posts here are negative and bitter. I am not saying that all of them are but a majority of them!
Old Nov 13, 2001, 9:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Odin:
. . . It is also nice to hear some positive reports on FT. Keep them coming! It seems that most of the posts here are negative and bitter. I am not saying that all of them are but a majority of them!</font>
Some grouchy apples around Odin, but hopefully the party atmosphere prevails.

shinbal, thanks for the trip report. Helps the rest of us make plans accordingly.

3 W suites in the size of 1 Sheraton you say eh? Ummmm . . . wonder if you were 'really' given a suite at the W.

------------------
Got points ? Got smiles !
Old Nov 14, 2001, 4:25 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen loves Starwood:

3 W suites in the size of 1 Sheraton you say eh? Ummmm . . . wonder if you were 'really' given a suite at the W.

</font>
In fact, I did double check this. It's just the layout of the hotel. There were two larger, given to paying guests (imagine that), but I was definitely in a suite.

It was a closet.

Old Nov 14, 2001, 9:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
[B]Wow.... quite a stay. I have to say that the Sheraton NY is probably no. 1 on the hotels I hate to stay at...</font>
I try to avoid this property if at all possible - it consistently lags far behind other Starwoods in NY. I was there last week for the FORTUNE conference (much of their business seems to come from conferences) and it was simply dire. If you're looking for something smaller and more attentive in NY, there are much better choices.
Old Nov 15, 2001, 3:29 pm

I think you were indeed lucky. I have not stayed there for nearly three years, after a particularly non-enjoyable experience.

When I checked in as a Gold, and asked for an upgrade during the Thanksgiving weekend, I was told that "Other properties may give upgrades, but we don't." After making nice with the desk attendant, I finally got an "upgrade"...to a room the size of a closet. I would have liked to have seen what they originally planned for me!

i assume they have come more into line with Starwood policy in the last few years.
Old Nov 15, 2001, 4:32 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
(phew!!) - in sign of relief

Im glad Im not the only one that has been bashed around at the Sheraton NY. Some of the positive posts here fuel the impression that I like to whine (which is true, but with this property I think its justified).

I guess its a good point that large properties in cities with strong rotation tend to have this kind of impersonal service. The Sheraton NY reminds me of the kind of service you get in Vegas.... unless you are a Super VIP you get lousy service.

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 11-15-2001).]
Old Nov 15, 2001, 5:11 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
My fiancee and I just stayed at the Sheraton Towers this past weekend. I'm just a regular old Preferred member, so no upgrades for me. We arrived about 2am to find out our reservation had been cancelled as a no-show, and as the hotel was full all they had available was a smoking room, ugh. They said they would switch us over to a nonsmoking room the next day. The rest of the stay turned out better though, the king room turned out fine and we didn't make any phone calls or have any mystery charges on the bill.

Apparently I didn't get the 500 point online booking bonus. Does that post separately?

[This message has been edited by hauteboy (edited 11-15-2001).]
Old Nov 15, 2001, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Glad I enjoyed my stay when I did, based on everyone's experience! I plan on staying there again. Actually, I liked the staff and attitude at the Sheraton MUCH better than that Godawful W NY. I posted a dissatisfaction note in this forum.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 12:22 pm

Im booked at this property 12/3 - 12/7.... lets see how it goes. I will post my experiences.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 2:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Im booked at this property 12/3 - 12/7.... lets see how it goes. I will post my experiences.</font>
Please do. Never got an upgrade as Platinum even there are availability (was told "no such thing in this property"). Terrible checkin staff. Rooms are run down and dirty. On the other hand, if they change the way they treat Plt, it is a good value for 7,000 points per night (assuming upgrade room is nicer).

Old Nov 27, 2001, 7:46 am

Location: Hotlanta, GA; Starwood Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Just checked in last night.

I was already pissed after my j@ck@ss cab driver went around the state of Texas to get to the hotel from LGA (he didn't smell a tip).

Friendly young lady checked me in. Got my amenity card up front (took the points... shocking, eh?). I did not receive a suite (didn't ask, probably should have at least tried... does flirting help? ), but I got a room on the 49th floor. The room was exceptionally clean, but maybe a little on the small side.

The health club they have in the Lower Lobby is tough to beat. All kinds of equipment, free weights, and more aerobic machines than I care to count.

The layout for breakfast on the 44th floor was impressive as well, and the staff there was helpful providing some subway directions.

So far, so good.... I just may stay there next week instread of the Russell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.