Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by akcae
Any recent stays/experiences here? Considering this hotel for an upcoming weekend stay but am curious how the lounge breakfast is now and if some of the kinks pointed out by previous posters (growing pains?) have been worked out.
I haven not been there since late December. However, by that time, it appeared that this hotel had its act completely together.

However if you are looking for a fancy breakfast, I doubt that even now you will find much more than an enhanced Continental in the Lounge.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Take a look at the RC Tysons. The exec suite is $319 for the weekend. Book via FHR for breakfast and property credit.

Fdw
While I have not yet been to the HR Tysons, I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton Tysons II a few times and its a nice experience and you can get some good rates on some weekends such as the rate you noted above.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelexpert
...As a Diamond--what are my chances of a suite upgrade, without using one of my DSUs?

Came up with what I think is a great solution--two rooms at the Marriott (where I am Platinum) is $140 ($70 per room per night). This seems like the way to go?

Or have I missed something?
In six or eight stays last year, after they got to know me I got a suite a couple of times on a standard reservation.

As far as the Marriott is concerned, the newer one around there (Fairview Park) has fallen way behind so I would not hold out much hope for the older (Tysons Corner). If you exoect today's proper amenities and conveniences, in that area you have the Hyatt and the Ritz-Carlton.

Reminiscing that I earned a great deal of my Marriott Lifetime Plat at Fairview Park when it was first built and could reasonably claim being the latest and best. A recent stay there was very disappointing.

Last edited by monitor; Apr 17, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I have been to both the Fairview Park Marriott and the Tysons Corner Marriott in the past month. I have not stayed at the HR in the Tysons Corner mall.

You are better off at the Tysons Corner Marriott if you are looking for a nicer lounge experience and weekend breakfast. The lounge is closed from Friday at noon and reopens Sunday evening. Evening offerings are usually one hot entree, salad, cheese, crackers, vegetables and dessert. During my last stay, they kept the food out past 7:30 and had dessert by request before 7:30. The hot entree was a chicken dish with rice and vegetables during my most recent stay. Dessert was blondies and cookies. Breakfast in the lounge is smoked salmon, oatmeal, cereal, cold ham and turkey, a rotating selection of sausage and bacon, four types of fruit, pastries and yogurt. The lounge has a coffee machine, and they put out extra containers of coffee in the morning during peak demand.

The weekend breakfast is served downstairs in the hotel restaurant. The breakfast buffet is extensive, and they serve some steamed vegetables that I have not seen at any other domestic Marriott.

The hotel has a large and well equipped gym filled with resistance and cardio equipment from Lifetime. There is a large area for doing mat work or using the large bouncing balls to exercise.

Parking is $9 at the Tysons Corner Marriott. The underground garage has two stations for recharging electric cars.

Rooms are small at the Tysons Corner Marriott. The rooms on the side facing the concierge lounge are larger. Every room has a desk and a love seat.

The Fairview Park Marriott recently redid their rooms, and the new desks are smaller. There is also no drawers, although they told me they are ordering some after guest complaints. I told them that the disabled room they put me in was not practical for any guest, able body or not, when it came to having easy access to electrical outlets. That is not a problem at the Tysons Corner Marriott.

I had not stayed at the Tysons Corner Marriott in a while until recently. I noticed parking went up $3, they were serving grapes instead of strawberries in the lounge for breakfast as one of the fruit options, and they have started to have monthly wine tastings and receptions for gold and platinum guests on Tuesday nights. I feel this property tries hard to treat elite members well. Over the past five years, the food offerings have been getting better in the concierge lounge.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by monitor
I haven not been there since late December. However, by that time, it appeared that this hotel had its act completely together.

However if you are looking for a fancy breakfast, I doubt that even now you will find much more than an enhanced Continental in the Lounge.
Thank you for the updated experience. As long as there is some protein and fruit to go with the previously reported pastries, we should be OK with breakfast.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checking for next week I saw the Hyatt Tysons at a rate higher than the Park Hyatt across the river in DC. At Tysons, the upgrades are hit and miss and the breakfast is in a very pleasant club lounge. At the PH, a Diamond almost always gets a suite of some sort and breakfast is at the Blue Duck. That is absolutely nuts.

Checking further, the Ritz-Carlton out at Tysons, including a real breakfast for elites, is less than half the price of that Hyatt. What do they have going for them that brings their rates into the suburban stratosphere?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:06 pm

What do they have going for them that brings their rates into the suburban stratosphere?
Significant debt?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:11 am

Checking for next week I saw the Hyatt Tysons at a rate higher than the Park Hyatt across the river in DC. At Tysons, the upgrades are hit and miss and the breakfast is in a very pleasant club lounge. At the PH, a Diamond almost always gets a suite of some sort and breakfast is at the Blue Duck. That is absolutely nuts.

Checking further, the Ritz-Carlton out at Tysons, including a real breakfast for elites, is less than half the price of that Hyatt. What do they have going for them that brings their rates into the suburban stratosphere?
For what dates do you see PH with a lower rate than HR Tysons Corner? I checked every night for next week, and PH is never less than double Tysons Corner rate.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about that. I must have made an error in reading since I was in a hurry and needed to get something for 4/28 two nights. I must have punched in different dates for each look since the PH does not show up when you ask for VA. You are correct, it is double.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:36 am

Sorry about that. I must have made an error in reading since I was in a hurry and needed to get something for 4/28 two nights. I must have punched in different dates for each look since the PH does not show up when you ask for VA. You are correct, it is double.
And here I got excited as I got HR TC for $108/nt for next weekend and wouldn't mind trading that in for PH at sub-$100 rate.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:04 am

Thank you for the updated experience. As long as there is some protein and fruit to go with the previously reported pastries, we should be OK with breakfast.
A quick update, as we are at the hotel now, having spent our first night. My DSU got us a nice corner suite on the 11th floor. My family is very happy with the suite, which has a separate living room with an L-shaped couch, arm chair, counter/table with 4 bar stools, and a large TV. My 9-yr old slept on the couch and is happy as a clam.

The bedroom can be closed off from the living room with a sliding door, as well as from the bathroom. There is a comfortable king bed, its own TV, and armchair. The bathroom has a walk-in shower (but no tub, which may be important if you have to bathe little ones -- my 3-yr old was NOT pleased), and a separate toilet room, which is always appreciated.

One pet peeve finally alleviated: the alarm clock provided has the lightning port to plug in my iPhone! Finally updated from the old dock connector, which has been phased out since iPhone 5!

Club breakfast was so-so. On weekends it's served 7-10am, and we got there around 9. The only hot options were steel cut oatmeal ^ and some kind of quiche, which was barely warm and tasted stale by the time we got there. There were a lot of pastry options, bagels, cold cuts (turkey, mortadella, and salami), brie, some type of hard cheese (forget which specifically), cereals, fruit, juice, some yogurts, milk, coffee.

We must've been there past the rush, as lot of the offerings were depleted and not fast to be restocked. Pastries disappeared about 30min before the end of service and were not brought back. Bread options were VERY disappointing: other than a few bagels, there were two boxes with grocery-store type bread. Also, the toaster wasn't working (it had overheated earlier according to the lounge attendant). Glasses and mugs disappeared fast, and were slow to be restocked.

Overall, it was fine and we had plenty to eat, but even HR Capitol Hill has a vastly better selection.

The location is great, however, as the hotel is atop the Tysons Place mall, and there are many shopping options, as well as restaurants in and around the mall. The kids had a great time playing at the playground at the mall entrance, and at the Lego store inside.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

A quick update, as we are at the hotel now, having spent our first night. My DSU got us a nice corner suite on the 11th floor. My family is very happy with the suite, which has a separate living room with an L-shaped couch, arm chair, counter/table with 4 bar stools, and a large TV. My 9-yr old slept on the couch and is happy as a clam.

The bedroom can be closed off from the living room with a sliding door, as well as from the bathroom. There is a comfortable king bed, its own TV, and armchair. The bathroom has a walk-in shower (but no tub, which may be important if you have to bathe little ones -- my 3-yr old was NOT pleased), and a separate toilet room, which is always appreciated.

One pet peeve finally alleviated: the alarm clock provided has the lightning port to plug in my iPhone! Finally updated from the old dock connector, which has been phased out since iPhone 5!

Club breakfast was so-so. On weekends it's served 7-10am, and we got there around 9. The only hot options were steel cut oatmeal ^ and some kind of quiche, which was barely warm and tasted stale by the time we got there. There were a lot of pastry options, bagels, cold cuts (turkey, mortadella, and salami), brie, some type of hard cheese (forget which specifically), cereals, fruit, juice, some yogurts, milk, coffee.

We must've been there past the rush, as lot of the offerings were depleted and not fast to be restocked. Pastries disappeared about 30min before the end of service and were not brought back. Bread options were VERY disappointing: other than a few bagels, there were two boxes with grocery-store type bread. Also, the toaster wasn't working (it had overheated earlier according to the lounge attendant). Glasses and mugs disappeared fast, and were slow to be restocked.

Overall, it was fine and we had plenty to eat, but even HR Capitol Hill has a vastly better selection.

The location is great, however, as the hotel is atop the Tysons Place mall, and there are many shopping options, as well as restaurants in and around the mall. The kids had a great time playing at the playground at the mall entrance, and at the Lego store inside.
Nice review. We stayed in a similar suite and added another room on via the Hyatt family plan. They can connect through a lockout and an external connector which isn't ideal but worked. The nice part is the other room did have a tub for the little ones (I have 3)

Fdw
Old May 1, 2016, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Nice review. We stayed in a similar suite and added another room on via the Hyatt family plan. They can connect through a lockout and an external connector which isn't ideal but worked. The nice part is the other room did have a tub for the little ones (I have 3)

Fdw
Ah, that explains the door in front of the suite entrance and the room next to it, as well as the other exit door from the suite's dressing area. @:-)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Can anyone help me with an email address of the GM or room director? I have had no luck with the email given to me by Hyatt concierge and cannot find anything online.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
More than I bargained for for a short stay:

Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

7901 Tysons One Pl Tysons Corner, VA US 22102

More than I bargained for for a short stay: (2 Photos)

Check In

Full review to come at joeprotravel.com

While planning a trip to visit family in Northern Virginia this year, I decided to book 2 nights at the Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner. I booked using a points+cash rate at a cost of $75 and 6000 points per night.  I used a tier-suite upgrade to place me in a Regency Suite.

We arrived at the Tysons Corner Mall right at 3:00, navigating our way around until we found a parking garage next to the Hyatt. We parked on the fourth level of the garage and followed a walkway over the road to the lobby of the Hyatt.

20170724_183630.jpg

I stepped into the lobby immediately impressed. The area was modern, calm, beautiful. Two check in desks were situated against the wall, only one was staffed.

Ernest greeted me and took my information. He verified that I was booked in a Regency Suite for a 2 night stay.

I inquired about upgrade options and he told me the next higher room would be the Ambassador Suite. I asked how much additional this would be, and he advised me that it was $100 per night.

I consulted with my aunt, who was planning to stay with my mother for her 4 nights in Virginia. She agreed that she'd stay for a night with me and contribute $75 towards the room, so I went ahead and agreed to the upgrade.

There was some miscommunication thereafter and as it turns out, due to the points+cash rate I was on, the upgrade was only going to be an additional $50 per night.

I asked Earnest about the Regency Club and he told me the hours and gave me a card with the hours listed.  I thanked him and grabbed my duffel.

Room

This room was AMAZING!

20170724_171612.jpg

I've seen and stayed in some larger rooms, but this one certainly felt larger than our VIP suite at the HR SFO Embarcadero and was far more modern than our super suites at the Hyatt in Kauai.
Off to the left of the entrance was a mini-hall and a half bath. Straight from the entance was a massive living room/dining room combo with a pull-out sectional sofa and a couple of lounge chairs, a 6 person dining table, a nespresso machine, and loads and loads of cabinet space.  A 42" TV hung on the wall across from the sofa.

The massive windows across the dining and living area featured views of the mall and the courtyard below, the metro, and rolling hills in the distance.

The room was filled with the sound of smooth jazz coming from an ihome iPhone dock, and the music continued from a second dock in the bedroom. Past the dining room the bedroom was separated by a pocket door.

The bedroom featured a Hyatt Grand King Sized Bed, dual nightstands and lamps, a chaise lounger, and barn doors leading into the bathroom.

In the bathroom there were dual sinks, an array of mirrors, and a gargantuan shower/tub combo.  The glass shower doors opened to reveal a rain-shower head along with a standard head, a small marble bench, and a spacious tub.

Overall

Fresh, modern, and insanely convenient, my stay turned out to be a surprise highlight of my trip.  While the Regency club is not overly impressive, it was still a lovely place to kick back during the stay.  Meanwhile the entire area around the hotel was a bustling entertainment zone complete with good food and beverage and plenty of activities for all ages as well.

Check out a 360 Video Tour at: https://youtu.be/j4c5tZUGyiE

More than I bargained for for a short stay:

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.