Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amansara, Siem Reap, Cambodia (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amansara, Siem Reap, Cambodia (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:32 pm

Bring cash for ease however there’re cash machines just as you enter the immigration hall (after coming off the tarmac); make a hard right before the temperature check. It is about 3m from the door.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:36 pm

I've booked 4 nights at Amansara from the 25th through the 28th of November. My fiancé is really keen to experience the Water Festival, so we're flying out for that, and will follow that up by a stay at Amansara.

We fly JFK-HKG-PNH (CX F then KA J) on the 19th and arrive in Cambodia on the 20th. We're in Phnom Penh from the 20th to the 24th. In addition to the Water Festival, we're planning visits to the Royal Palace and the National Museum of Cambodia. Neither of us know much about the country or its past, so we're looking to experience its culture and learn its history. We haven't booked a hotel for Phnom Penh yet, we're looking at both the Sofitel and the Rosewood. Anyone recommend one over the other?

On the 25th we head to Siem Reap for 4 nights at Sara, and of course to take in Angkor Wat and the many other temples. We're booked in a Pool Suite, a decision I'm happy about after reading some Ericka's review at the top of this thread.

On the 29th we fly home, PNH-HKG-LAX-YYZ (KA Y, CX F, and AC J). With the two transpacific CX F flights for this trip, I'll requalify for Marco Polo Club Diamond which is great.

Any suggestions for Phnom Penh/Siem Reap/anything else to make the most of the trip?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:52 am

I would certainly stay at Rosewood in PP. I have yet to stay but a friend stayed last week and spoke highly of it. Few hotels compare in that city, as there hasn’t been much development yet.

MicSanToro likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:29 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
There's The Bale in Phnom Penh as well but a bit out of the main town (think The Siam Bangkok). Not quite as polished as Rosewood I'm sure, but rooms are bigger and looks a more relaxing space. Colleague went a few months back, here's the video:
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by scented
I would certainly stay at Rosewood in PP. I have yet to stay but a friend stayed last week and spoke highly of it. Few hotels compare in that city, as there hasn’t been much development yet.

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
There's The Bale in Phnom Penh as well but a bit out of the main town (think The Siam Bangkok). Not quite as polished as Rosewood I'm sure, but rooms are bigger and looks a more relaxing space.
The Bale looks nice, but I think I'll book the Rosewood. Looking at rooms on their website, I'm deciding between the Mekong Suite and the Rosewood Suite. Both come with butlers, and I think the Mekong View would be more interesting than the City View for the Rosewood Suite considering it will be Water Festival. The Mekong Suite is also half the price per night of the Rosewood Suite, but price doesn't matter for this. Any input as to one over the other? Currently leaning Mekong Suite, but I can be swayed if anyone has a good reason to choose the Rosewood Suite instead.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
I've booked 4 nights at Amansara from the 25th through the 28th of November. My fiancé is really keen to experience the Water Festival, so we're flying out for that, and will follow that up by a stay at Amansara.

We fly JFK-HKG-PNH (CX F then KA J) on the 19th and arrive in Cambodia on the 20th. We're in Phnom Penh from the 20th to the 24th. In addition to the Water Festival, we're planning visits to the Royal Palace and the National Museum of Cambodia. Neither of us know much about the country or its past, so we're looking to experience its culture and learn its history. We haven't booked a hotel for Phnom Penh yet, we're looking at both the Sofitel and the Rosewood. Anyone recommend one over the other?

On the 25th we head to Siem Reap for 4 nights at Sara, and of course to take in Angkor Wat and the many other temples. We're booked in a Pool Suite, a decision I'm happy about after reading some Ericka's review at the top of this thread.

On the 29th we fly home, PNH-HKG-LAX-YYZ (KA Y, CX F, and AC J). With the two transpacific CX F flights for this trip, I'll requalify for Marco Polo Club Diamond which is great.

Any suggestions for Phnom Penh/Siem Reap/anything else to make the most of the trip?
I don't know what the price delta is for the Pool Suite at Amansara is but when I was there it was $400/night and probably not worth it...

Plus they have a high percentage of pool suites so there's a good chance of an upgrade... though if you absolutely need/want a pool suite then book it...

FDW
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:48 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

lol lol
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I don't know what the price delta is for the Pool Suite at Amansara is but when I was there it was $400/night and probably not worth it...

Plus they have a high percentage of pool suites so there's a good chance of an upgrade... though if you absolutely need/want a pool suite then book it...

FDW
Agreed - 50% of inventory is pool suites, and the extra charge is rather high. Book one lower and get the upgrade.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:25 pm

Amansara (November 2018)

Amansara

Map| 7 Reviews | 71% Recommended

Amansara

Road To Angkor Siem Reap, KH

Amansara (November 2018) (0 Photo)

Amansara

Stayed 4 nights at Amansara in a Pool Suite as part of a 9 day trip to Cambodia (first time in the country). 

Check In

Astrid (the GM) greeted us with a smile on her face as we arrived. We were given drinks and shown around the property while learning some history of the area, which was a great start to our Amansara experience. We were then taken to our room and took some time to unwind and take a swim in our pool. Astrid was always present and visible during the stay, and she is so, so friendly. As usual with Aman properties (if you aren't already familiar), you are never asked for a credit card throughout the stay and you aren't asked your room number. Aman staff members just no, and that is part of what makes Aman service so great.

Room

We stayed in a Pool Suite and it was hands down one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in from an aesthetics perspective. It is just so simple and beautiful. From the shapes that make up the room itself to the interior design, everything is so clean and sharp. It's spacious and functional, but at the same time it's cozy and private. We spent a lot of the in-room down time in the courtyard, either in or beside the pool. The concrete wall didn't seem very appealing to me at first, but I grew to enjoy it, oddly enough. It fits with the design of the room and gives the privacy I look for in rooms. WiFi was fairly fast which was nice. Both the main pool (not an infinity pool like many Amans) and our private plunge pool were very nice. 

Amansara is very central in Siem Reap, and a short drive from Angkor Wat. For such a central location, the whole property was still very tranquil, which impressed me (but at the same time, is what you expect at an Aman). During our stay, we visited Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm, Neak Pean, the Angkor National Musuem, and downtown Siem Reap (crazy busy as expected). 

Service

Service was consistently great, and exactly what I would expect from an Aman. As I've already mentioned, Astrid is an absolute gem. All the staff members we interacted with had a smile on their face and were actively trying to help us have a great experience. Having an English speaking guide when out and about exploring during the day is a huge plus, and makes navigating and planning the day to avoid large crowds quite simple. Dining service was exactly what I expect at an Aman, though nothing was above and beyond.

Overall

Amansara serves as a tranquil and beautiful haven in the middle of Siem Reap. My fiancé and I both loved our room, and really enjoyed the tailored experience we got when visiting the many temples in the area. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if I ever end up in the area, and I definitely recommend it. It lands itself in the middle of the pack in terms of Aman properties I have stayed at, but that speaks to how spectacular some of the other properties are, and not that this property is bad in any way. 

Amansara (November 2018)

Would you like to write a review on the Amansara?

No, thank you.
Yes
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:16 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Are they still taking you in the East gate of Angkor Wat for sunrise?

Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by A4K
I asked about it after we arrived as I had read about the East Gate and how much less crowded it is, and our guide took us the next morning. Not sure if they would have taken us if we hadn’t asked about it, but maybe they would have.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by A4K

Yes. Unless you ask not to
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:39 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by MicSanToro

I asked about it after we arrived as I had read about the East Gate and how much less crowded it is, and our guide took us the next morning. Not sure if they would have taken us if we hadn’t asked about it, but maybe they would have.
When I was there a few years ago they asked us to “bribe” the guard with 10 dollars I believe.

Still the standard practice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.