Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Platinum Travel Service ?????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2000, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

The Platinum Travel Service ?????

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me.

The PTS seems good at booking regular flights, but when booking hotels, I find that I can often get a better rate booking myself...I also sometimes get the Platinum bennefits...

Has anyone else had similar experiences ?? How is the best way to use the PTS ???
Old Jul 13, 2000, 2:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
Useful for the 2 for 1 business class tickets. Useful for getting onto fully booked flights or finding hotel room when none exist. Links to some of the rental car agencies are useful. I use it as a backup, when other methods can not get what I want. The service has become less "platinum" in the last 3 to 4 years as the AMEX PLAT card has become mass marketed, in my view.
Old Jul 13, 2000, 7:20 am

Location: leawood,ks,usa, dl lifetime gold,,aa lifetime gold,hyattplatinum
My problems with PTS were so severe that I cancelled the card. The reasons were that I got tired of waiting 20 minutes for them to answer the phone and the hotel rates were not a good deal.

------------------
Old Jul 13, 2000, 8:20 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Five to 10 years ago they were great! Not so any longer. I too am cancelling my Amex Plat!
Old Jul 13, 2000, 2:56 pm

I found I had to do lots of research before calling them. My local/corprate AMEX agency gave me American Express' Select Hotel rate book (about the size of the pocket OAG), which lists negotiated (very good) rates at many hotels nationwide. When I asked PTS to send me the book the next year it took several requests. I find it easier to get the book from my local AMEX agent now. I found that when I was quoted rates by PTS agents they rarely quoted the Select Rate - but if I asked "is there an AMEX Select Rate?" they would suddenly find it. The Fine Hotel and Resorts Program can be good - if the hotel does not discount off its rack rates. So I used it at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach last April, and paid the same room rate as everyone else (there were no discounts offered), but got an upgrade, a $65 credit toward breakfast, and a 4pm checkout. I just used it in NYC at the Peninsula, and beat their weekend rate of $390 - paying $390 for 3 nights, and then getting the 4th night free, plus I got a free garment pressing on arrival, tea for two, the free breakfast, an upgrade, and a 4pm checkout. At other hotels that I've looked at in the past that were offering weekend rates or discounts, the program was too expensive though!
Old Jul 13, 2000, 3:47 pm
Original Member

I agree they went from great to unusable over the last 10 years.
Old Jul 13, 2000, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

My experience is with the PTS in Australia, were it has been less marketed, and is still very hard to get, select.

They answer the phone promptly, and are efficient, but seem less capable than our American PTS in getting booked hotel rooms,etc.......

Has anyone got the Platinum Hotel bennefits by booking direct (at perhaps a cheaper rate ??)
Old Jul 13, 2000, 5:37 pm

Location: Bellevue, WA, USA United Premex, Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
It really depends on who you get as your PTS agent. I went through a number of people to get the agent I have now, and she's great!

If I just deal with whoever answers the phone, the service is usually unacceptable.
Old Jul 13, 2000, 6:54 pm

I agree with eMailman's and Pluto's comments. That personalized, polished customer service that seemed to be associated with Platinum ten years ago is now often rather elusive.
I, too, was becoming frustrated with the long hold times when calling PTS, especially when I needed help at an airport.
However, a recent very successful trip reminded me that things can work well with the right agent. I believe its critical to establish a good relationship with an agent in order to get the most out of PTS. Now, when I call PTS, I dial the extension of the agent that now knows me and seems eager to help.
So, when you come across an exceptionally friendly and competent agent, get their full name, extension, and office hours. Then make sure you call them first for assistance.
Old Jul 13, 2000, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

So, Am I correct in assuming the consensus, is that it depends on the agent you get ???

Well, I have a great agent in Australia, but am still unsure about getting them to book hotels...will they get the best rates, or just the PTS rates.........

In Australia, it seems more like a simple extention of Amex Travel, rather than anything with perks.
Old Jul 14, 2000, 3:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
It really does depend on the agent. Which is why I am not posting the contact infor for mine...
Old Jul 17, 2000, 10:27 am

Perhaps the level of service at PTS has declined over the last few years. I agree that the agents can be very hit-or-miss in terms of quality and service.

However, I am a fairly educated traveler and usually research my trips ahead of time and can quote exact itineraries and fare codes. Especially for those lower-quality agents, that helps get through the difficult stuff. There have also been times where an agent was able to find me a cheaper fare that I didn't know about (MAD-MUC for $199 on IB).

I hadn't put much thought into sticking to a good agent that I've had in the past. That's an excellent idea.

I would agree that for the most part the fine resorts prices are usually higher than the saavy traveller can come up with on their own. But I have to admit that when I was upgraded to an incredible corner suite in the chateau portion of the Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland that it was surely worth the premium.

The main reason I keep my Platinum card for the travel is that I can call from anywhere in the world collect and expect someone to help me out. That alone has saved me many $$$. As an example, on a recent trip to Central America (yes, that crazy Latin Pass deal) I call collect from the hotel and spent an hour on the phone readjusting plans further along. This included cancelling some hotel rooms for an unrelated person who happened to be along on my flights. It's almost for this reason alone that I will continue to use PTS.
Old Jul 18, 2000, 11:51 am

PTS is lousy. I book my own itineraries! 2o min wait??! fughetaboutit! I cancelled the card. what a ripoff. while the 2 for 1 biz class is a deal if u use it, realistically i've never been able to capitalize on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.