Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

definition of govt rate + do they ID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm a bit confused on the qualifications of the govt rate. i've got a state employee card from georgia & will be traveling to san diego. the gas lamp courtyard is $100 cheaper using the govt rate, but for the life of me i can't tell if it's federal or california state employees only.

will i be okay?? will they even check??
Old Apr 17, 2003, 6:11 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum;HH Diamond; PC Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I am asked for my government ID about half the time. I would assume that any federal or state ID would suffice, but you may want to call the particular property to ask.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdvcr:
I'm a bit confused on the qualifications of the govt rate. i've got a state employee card from georgia & will be traveling to san diego. the gas lamp courtyard is $100 cheaper using the govt rate, but for the life of me i can't tell if it's federal or california state employees only.

</font>

Two Things:

In 20 years, I have only been asked for my govt ID once.

Marriott govt rates apply to all federal, state and local government employees.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdvcr:

</font>
Here's Marriott Official Policy on Government rates (with slight location edits)

** RATE PROGRAM FACTS **
GOVA (GENR) GOVT/MILITARY
GOVERNMENT MILITARY RATE: RATE IS LOCAL, CITY, COUNTY, STATE
FEDERAL, MILITARY AND RED CROSS

*** GOVERNMENT/RED CROSS ID MUST BE PRESENTED AT CHECK-IN

*** ALL GUESTS SHOULD CONTACT THE HOTEL ACCOUNTING DEPT
TO VERIFY IF THEY WILL QUALIFY FOR TAX EXEMPT STATUS
UNDER STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS

*** PER FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS *** NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM THE
X.X PCT OCCUPANCY TAX
Old Apr 18, 2003, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JLL5100:
I am asked for my government ID about half the time. I would assume that any federal or state ID would suffice, but you may want to call the particular property to ask.</font>
Great advice...note to my above post...although the above is Marriott's official policy individual hotels policies might differ

(edited for bad spelling)

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited 04-18-2003).]
Old Apr 21, 2003, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Marriott is the best at honoring government rates. You should have no problems, even in California. The only exceptions are rate rules that show Federal only rates.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I would agree, marriott is head and shoulders above Hyatt, Hilton, & SPG in providing avail. govt rates and honoring them. The other chains listed have given me occasional flak however marriott never has and whenever I NEED a gov't perdiem; I know to use Marriott as they will have aproperty with availability.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeBurdell:
Marriott is the best at honoring government rates. You should have no problems, even in California. The only exceptions are rate rules that show Federal only rates.</font>
Old Apr 24, 2003, 4:00 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Being in civil service working for a military agency, I ALWAYS ask for the "federal government rate" when on personal travels. I cannot remember the last time I was asked to show my government ID when checking in.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:05 am

My apoplogies for dredging up an old thread, but I recently had questions similar to this topic, asked Marriott customer service, and received the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

In order to be eligible for government discount rates, guests must be an active duty member of the military or current employee, of any level of local, county, state, or federal government within the United States. Supporting credentials will be required at the time that the guest checks in to the hotel. The rate is for use for business travel or pleasure (personal) travel.

While Government rates are available for hotels both in the U.S. as well as internationally, the availability of rooms offered at these rates will vary from location to location.

You may check the availability of the rooms offered at government discount rates using the Marriott.com website. For your convenience, the steps to guide you through the online reservation process are listed at the end of this email.

Please make sure to note the following terms and conditions:
- Government employees are limited to one (1) room per stay
- A limited number of rooms are available at the government rate
- Advance reservations are required
- Identification will be required at check-in
- The government rate cannot be used in conjunction with group travel or any other promotional offer

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
Desiree Rutten
Marriott Internet Customer Care
So the quick summary is:

- any level of government (federal, state or local)
- any travel (official business or pleasure)
- ID required (officially, but not in practice??)

I hope this is helpful.

Bulldog
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Interestingly enough, I have had problems with using the Government Rate two times at checkin...both in Orlando.

My wife is a teacher (County Government Employee). According to the definition, she qualifies for the goverment rate (except in cases where it specifies Federal only). Both times, an long conversation ensued. Her photo ID specifically states Employee - of xxx County School Board.

Anyone have thoughts?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:45 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Hmm. I can say that I have never not once been asked for my ID. But I've always got it with me just in case.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
More and more, federal government rates and state government rates are different and are displayed on the website individually when clicking on particular dates. For example, in Michigan there is a significant difference in the per diems set for federal and state employees. So many properties display different rates for the two. Also, more and more, unfortunately, government rates are not necessarily set at the federal per diem for a particular locality, but are sometimes higher, requiring the federal traveler to either stay somewhere else, or partially pay for a government stay to conduct government business out of his/her own pocket. It used to be that when you clicked on a Marriott government rate you knew you were getting a rate that matched whatever the local per diem was. In fact the Marriott website explicitly specified that the government rate would be at or below per diem. Now, unless you are foolish, you need to double check the Marriott rate against the federal per diem schedule. Of course, in my experience, most Marriott properties still peg the government rate to the local per diem. I'm grateful for this because I prefer to stay at Marriott for all the reasons that all of us Marriott regulars know, whether on the government's dime or my own.

As to being "ID'd", I am about a quarter of the time. However, to me, if I'm not qualified for an available rate, I think its dishonest to take advantage of it, ID or not.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
... RED CROSS

*** GOVERNMENT/RED CROSS ID MUST BE PRESENTED AT CHECK-IN...
RC, interesting,hmmm like if you volunteer with them and have an ID?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; United 1P; Marriott Silver; Hilton-Silver
I've been asked for my government ID (they always just accept a government business card) more often recently. Before, they never seemed to ask for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.