Wiki Posts
Search

Hiking backpack as carryon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hiking backpack as carryon

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Which size hikng backpack will pass for carry on luggage?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Given standard airline requirements, it would appear 45-46L is the sweet spot. That's around 2750-2800 cubic inches; the standard 22x14x9 requirement provides 2772 c.i. of space.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Given standard airline requirements, it would appear 45-46L is the sweet spot. That's around 2750-2800 cubic inches; the standard 22x14x9 requirement provides 2772 c.i. of space.
Thanks. I was thinking of 2400 cu in or 40 liter too account for the extra thickness added by the waist and shoulder straps.

I wonder f anyone has had luck with 45-46 L backpack.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
I've used a 40L and can easily see a 45L being accepted.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks MichaleKade Which kind was it?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:27 am

Are you only using this for luggage, or do you plan on backpacking as well. You will want to make sure whatever you buy can be suited to all purposes you need it for.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silam
Are you only using this for luggage, or do you plan on backpacking as well. You will want to make sure whatever you buy can be suited to all purposes you need it for.
For borh purposes. I have s larget backpack at 85L, which I use when I need ti carry more stuff. Sometimes I can accomodate every thing I need in a carry on. Hence the need for a for a small backpack that can be used ad a carryon too.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Well, I bought an REI vagabond 40 teavel pack. Although it's described as a 40L bag, I also read that REI claims it to have a capacity of 2800 cubic inches, which is around 45L.
I think it will be perfect, until I find something else. It has a rain cover with straps so that you can stow all the belts and steaps on the pack inside the raincover and carry it like a duffle bag to check in, which I don't intend to do. It's front loading, instead of top loading, so that you can pack it as you would pack a suitcase or a duffle bag.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:45 pm

Whatever backpack you use please take it off your back and carry it in front of you as you board or exit the plane!!!! my pet hate is being whacked by inconsiderate people who have no idea where and what they hit as they walk down the aisle
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spudseamus
Whatever backpack you use please take it off your back and carry it in front of you as you board or exit the plane!!!! my pet hate is being whacked by inconsiderate people who have no idea where and what they hit as they walk down the aisle
Thank you for your unsolicited advice.
Can you send me the schedule of your flights? I will be sure to remember to keep my backpack on my back on those flights.
DYKWIA? Do you know anything about me? I would like to stay aloof when you ...-u-(me).

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Items which fit the 6'"x10" interior modular of REI vagabond.

Tupperware Fridge Stackables Set

REI Inside Passage Shower Kit

LLBean Carryall Toiletry Kit

Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Complete Organizer

6" X 10" Pint Vacuum Sealer Bags for Foodsaver

Tumi medium packing cube

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Dec 9, 2012 at 10:41 am
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Four popular choices...better suited as carry-ons than for hiking

Tom Bihn Aeronaut

Red Oxx Skytrain

MEI Voyageur

Osprey Porter 46

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Oct 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
I have an older (2009) Osprey internal frame ~45L pack that I've carried on multiple times through multiple European and Asian airports (LHR, MXP, CDG, ORY, NRT, PVG) in Y and J. It is almost always outside of the bag sizer tolerances, but it fits in the bin and people have yet to say something about it. The straps are minimalist and take up very little room. I'll check the model when I'm home next.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by astanley
I have an older (2009) Osprey internal frame ~45L pack that I've carried on multiple times through multiple European and Asian airports (LHR, MXP, CDG, ORY, NRT, PVG) in Y and J. It is almost always outside of the bag sizer tolerances, but it fits in the bin and people have yet to say something about it. The straps are minimalist and take up very little room. I'll check the model when I'm home next.

Cheers,

-Andrew
That was one reason I w as afraid of going to 45L size. It gives some agents a reason to validate their refusal to allow it as a carry on.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Yaatri
That was one reason I w as afraid of going to 45L size. It gives some agents a reason to validate their refusal to allow it as a carry on.
It is a fair concern and it does raise my "security anxiety" (sounds like a clinical disorder) when I travel with it. But, I've transited T5 multiple times with it, and even they haven't said a word about it. A frame-less 45L, if such a product exists, could be coerced to fit in a sizer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.