Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AA-Flyer-SAN
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

American Airlines is generally willing to refund price differences when a price drops - but one must pay any change fees associated with the fare they purchased, meaning discounted fares may require a change fee of $150 - or more ($300-$500 for international legs). Please read over AA's Rollovers - Rules For Rollover To Lower Fare for rules, restrictions.

If you are not sure of the terms and conditions of the specific fare you purchased, you may determine those by going to www.refunds.aa.com and entering your ticket number (begins with "001"), before you request an actual refund. You may also use the site to find your ticket number if purchased within the last 13 months.
Print Wikipost

AA Get A Refund After An Airfare Price drop (fare rollover)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

AA Get A Refund After An Airfare Price drop (fare rollover)

Just heard about this from an agent. Said there are many requirements, but the policy is in place.

Does anyone know about this? Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Do you mean after paying the change fee as has been discussed many, many....many times before? Or is some bereft-of-information hit about something new and different?

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If AA is going back to the old policy of free refares, I'd love to hear about it. Not very optimistic that's what the topic is about. AA makes a lot of money off of change fees and can't see them doing away with that. A good deal of the time the change fee ($125 or more) is more than the fare difference to make it worthwhile.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by zznoname
Just heard about this from an agent. Said there are many requirements, but the policy is in place.

Does anyone know about this? Thanks
The policy I am familiar with is that you can almost always change your ticket, and you will receive a full credit for the amount you paid minus the change fee ($150 on most domestic flights). So if the fare drop was more than $150, it would make sense to 'change' the ticket to the lower fare.

The fact that the agent said there are many "requirements" makes me wonder if she is talking about a different policy, as there really aren't many requirements for the policy of 'cancel your ticket, pay the change fee, and apply the balance to a new ticket'.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I've had this happen to me in the past.

Originally Posted by janetdoe
The policy I am familiar with is that you can almost always change your ticket, and you will receive a full credit for the amount you paid minus the change fee ($150 on most domestic flights). So if the fare drop was more than $150, it would make sense to 'change' the ticket to the lower fare.

The fact that the agent said there are many "requirements" makes me wonder if she is talking about a different policy, as there really aren't many requirements for the policy of 'cancel your ticket, pay the change fee, and apply the balance to a new ticket'.
The price drop was over $300 per ticket, so even with the $150 (per ticket) change fee, I still saved. $150. The only requirement is that it is on the same fare bucket.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:01 pm

Maybe this is what is being referred to:

Lowest Price Guarantee

I've used this before and it does work. It does have many restrictions. The biggest one being that you have to catch the fare difference on the same day.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
There used to be a process where you claim refunds for a fare drop almost continually before the date of travel and, as I recall, no cost was involved. I can't just remember what it was titled (rollover?) but it went several years ago.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
There used to be a process where you claim refunds for a fare drop almost continually before the date of travel and, as I recall, no cost was involved. I can't just remember what it was titled (rollover?) but it went several years ago.
The good old days
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Yes, it was called a rollover. I used it many times on flights to Europe when they dropped in price as winter sales kicked in. Think I even had three rollovers on a single ticket once (remember discussing this with brp years ago as he was doing rollovers, too).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
This is one of the things I love about AS.

I wish the same price drop guarantee was in place for AA too.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:02 am

Last year ticket to BZE dropped about $150.
Called AA and they gave me a $150 voucher (x2 since it was myself and the wife). We didnt get charged anything.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kebosabi
This is one of the things I love about AS.

I wish the same price drop guarantee was in place for AA too.
Then just try it on an AS marketed flight but operated by AA.
I also like earning miles on AS on AS, AA or DL.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onefasteuro
Last year ticket to BZE dropped about $150.
Called AA and they gave me a $150 voucher (x2 since it was myself and the wife). We didnt get charged anything.
You mean there was no re-ticketing, therefore no deduction of change fee, and you went out original tickets?

This is the first time I have read that price drop policy seemingly changed back to the version many years ago.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy

This is the first time I have read that price drop policy seemingly changed back to the version many years ago.
I'm sure it hasn't. And it certainly wasn't the case last year. If this did happen as stated, it was a one-off.

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:28 am
Original Poster

It could have been a "Rollover" and one requirement is that the lower price had NOT been in effect when the ticket was purchases. As in.. the lower fare was available but NOT the seats.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.