Wiki Posts
Search

Tampa Hyatts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2003, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, United Premier
Tampa Hyatts

Expect to be in Tampa for a few days next year...looking for opinions/comments on the Tampa area Hyatts.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by royster747:
Expect to be in Tampa for a few days next year...looking for opinions/comments on the Tampa area Hyatts.</font>
Well, there's two in the City of Tampa. I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt and it's very nice. The Regency club was very nice for evening appetizers. I didn't get a chance to use it for breakfast. It's near the airport, so you can use their free airport shuttle to save on the rental car on either end of the stay. We stay there the night before flights lots of times because we can get it for $99 web rates, and we live over an hour away from the airport. The hotel is is one tower of the compex and I think there's an office building in the other tower. Self-park was free when we stayed there.

I haven't stayed at the HR Tampa, so I can't comment on it.

When you say the Tampa area, it might help if we knew exactly where you needed to be.

-David

Old Dec 1, 2003, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
If one forgoes the car rental and uses the shuttle, are there beaches (or other attractions) within walking distance (or free shuttle) of the Grand Hyatt?

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:38 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by royster747:
Expect to be in Tampa for a few days next year...looking for opinions/comments on the Tampa area Hyatts.</font>
The Grand is the place to go, nice Regency Club, very nice rooms, however the pool area is a little bit too small, if the hotel is sold out.Since the rates are more or less the same , I would definitely vote for the Grand, parking is also complimentary
Old Dec 1, 2003, 6:26 pm

I've stayed at both Hyatts a number of times. As you would expect, the Grand Hyatt is a much nicer property and the better choice. The regular Hyatt is downtown surrounded by office buildings, and the area is deserted at night. The GH is near the airport in a nice location just off the causeway (State Road 60) that runs between Tampa and Clearwater. One side faces the airport while the other faces Tampa Bay. You will definitely need a rental car no matter which property you decide to stay in. (Parking is free at the Grand Hyatt).
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:
... however the pool area is a little bit too small...</font>
There is a second pool by the Casitas. It is small, but seems to get limited use.

Old Dec 3, 2003, 8:50 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
The Grand is a much better choice. No contest. But, you do need a car. The only thing you can do without one is take the shuttle to the mall.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 9:48 pm

I've spent weeks of my life at the Grand Hyatt in Tampa. There is a nice boardwalk on the property for walking, but it does't go to a beach. You'll need a car to get to the beach or any other attraction. I prefer the pool by the Casitas because its usually less crowded and has a nice view of the water.

If they offer you a Casita, think twice before taking it. The Casitas are nice and have very nice landscaping, but can get noisy when the planes fly over. The main hotel building is completely sound proof.

The Regency club is great with decent snacks and a nice view.

[This message has been edited by frobozz (edited Dec 05, 2003).]
Old Dec 6, 2003, 10:52 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Don't forget about the two great restaurants at the Grand Hyatt. Oystercatchers is in the back of the property and the other is on the top floor. Both top notch!
Old Dec 7, 2003, 9:32 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Definitely go for OysterCatchers brunch, one of the best I've ever had! Westshore and Gainey Ranch are my two favorite Hyatts in the continental US.

Westshore has a water fowl sanctuary on the premises with boardwalk out to the bay where you can also see crabs during low tide. The casita pool is near the water and more private. The gym is great and rooms have redone very nicely. Just be careful not to be there during NFL game weekend as visiting teams stay there. Had a bunch of rowdy Jets fans and players there once during my stay making a lot of noise.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click daily- www.thehungersite.com
Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
I was not impressed at all with the downtown Hyatt in October. As stated above, it's a ghost town around that place at night. The rooms were very average and the pool was tiny. IIRC, it was about $15 cab fare to TPA from the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.