Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Cairo Egypt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold

For a while I did not visit the hyatt website and suddenly I encountered the Grand Hyatt Cairo.

Since when is this hotel operational ??

Or was it a previous Le Meridien hotel ?

I also saw that we have a hyatt.com worldwide rate guarantee ? WOW WOW

spectacular news !
Old Aug 1, 2003, 2:44 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
It's the former Royal Nile Tower. AFAIK, the opening as a Hyatt is today (= 01-Aug-2003).

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M

[This message has been edited by LH738 (edited 08-01-2003).]
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I am a bit surprised to see this hotel beeing rebranded as I thought there was another Hyatt (Regency?) under construction in Cairo. What is going to happen with that one?

Also, do you know who is going to be the General Manager at the Grand in Cairo? No one else than the charming Gary Friends who was until now in charge at the Sharm-el-Sheikh Hyatt Regency Resort!

His successor in Sharm will be the manager of the La Manga Resort in Spain whose name I don't know.

Muerz

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:38 pm

Anyone Have Experience with the Grand Hyatt Cairo (formerly the Le Meridien?)

I'm trying to decide whether to stay at this hotel or one of the Sheratons or the Hilton. I know the locations of the Sheratons and the Hilton, but not sure about the Hyatt.

I'm also interested in knowning about the amenities and whether I should use my points for this "more expensive" hotel
Old Mar 1, 2004, 8:46 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Any Grand Hyatt Cairo experience?

We're off to the Park Hyatt Vendome today and then we're going to stay at the Grand Hyatt Cairo this weekend.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience at the Grand Hyatt Cairo? I've booked the revolving rooftop restaurant for Friday dinner, but other than that I haven't made any plans.

Any must sees?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 3, 2004, 1:36 pm

Actually I stayed there in December. It is a beautiful hotel with many restaurants. The Grand Hyatt Club is pretty nice with very good service.

As a Diamond I got upgraded to a Club level room, which was nice but pretty small - no suite. I had to ask for the upgrade, however and it wasn't given that easily. The food in the lounge was decent, although honestly I can't remember it that well. They also have a pretty good health club.

Must sees for Cairo, I assume you're asking. The sound & light show at the Pyramids is worth seeing and of course, the Pyramids. Walking along the Nile is nice and perhaps taking a boat ride on the Nile. The Egyptian Museum is overwhelming but worth seeing and eating some great Middle Eastern food.

[This message has been edited by leiterk (edited Mar 03, 2004).]
Old May 13, 2004, 5:19 pm

What award category is this hotel? I am hoping to be in Cairo in Dec and was thinking about cashing in some points.
Old May 14, 2004, 4:43 am

Programs: QR P; TK E; FB S; BA S; UA S; MB LTT; HH D; IHG DAmb
Originally Posted by acnev
What award category is this hotel? I am hoping to be in Cairo in Dec and was thinking about cashing in some points.
It's a Category 2 property - see here.
Old May 15, 2004, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The Grand Hyatt Cairo does seem to be the grandest property I have ever stayed in Cairo. It stands by the River Nile and is about a mile away from the Egyptian Museum.

The hotel is very grand. There are more F&B outlets than I have seen in any one hotel that are good. The hotel also runs its own river cruise boat for sunset dinners.

The rooms are nice. There are about 714 rooms and the top 10 floors are reserved for executive and GP members. diamond and Executive Club members get access to the Lounge which serves breakfast, unlimited softdrinks coffee and tea throughout the day and evening cocktails. The highlight is the unlimited use of the 2 Internet computers on DSL which is a rarity in Cairo. All rooms also have DSL access. But this is where it gets tricky.

To use the service in the rooms cost EGP 90 a day. But you have to RENT the cable from the Business Centre for an additonal EGP 30 a day or they ask you to buy one for EGP 60. So... you have been warned... bring your own!

From CAI airport, the Hyatt sort of double charges. When other hotels provide the meet and greet service as part of their pick up service, and thereby charging only one rate... the Hyatt charges twice that. USD 20 for the meet and greet and USD20 for the car. The car, mind you is not even part of the hotel but rather a generic car company that seem to have a monopoly for all hotel transfers witin Cairo. The meet and Greet service is sort of useless and a rip off for the extra USD 20. You get greeted at the arrivals hall, and you get directed to the visa area to get your visa.. and the person directs you to the immigration hall.. and helps you with the luggage. These are basic things that the other hotels provide. I'll have to write to the GM about this service.

Other than that, the hotel is wonderful and I shall be staying here again when I visit cairo again. Weather was wonderful too. Surprisingly for this time of the year.. it was around 24-28C last week long.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Thumbs down Grand Hyatt Cairo, No Diamond Recegnition (No upgrade, b'fast coupons, amenity)

Just about to check out of the Grand Hyatt Cairo following a stay in which no recognition of my Diamond status was accorded.

No room upgrade at check-in, no breakfast coupons, no Diamond Amenity.

There is no bottled water in the rooms, except what is in the mini bar.

The high speed interenet is about $35 per day which I think is excessive.

All in all a very poor show and as I am much better treated at the Intercon or Conrad, I won't be back to the Hyatt.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Markie

No room upgrade at check-in, no breakfast coupons, no Diamond Amenity.
Did you mention this to the front desk, and if so did they have a response?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by 787
Not yet, I will on check-out.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Markie
Not yet, I will on check-out.
I find it much more advantageous to mention problems to the front desk/management at the beginning of the stay so they can be rectified while I'm still there. A little discussion, or confrontation if you will, has always served its intended purpose, and I get to reap the benefit during my stay.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:57 am

hyatt

I have to make a comment on this. In February we stayed at The Grande Hyatt Cairo and were truly impressed with the recognition we were shown. We were given rooms on the club floor with free breakfast; evening cocktails and all day juice coffee soft drinks etc. In the evening they provided wonderful snacks. The lounge has a computer with free internet. I have to say this hotel was one of the best we have ever stayed in and we do travel allot. We needed two rooms for our group and they even upgraded both rooms both times without ever asking. I am really shocked that they did not treat you better. I was truly amazed at this property. Sorry for your experience. We found the Hyatt emplyees and management some of the best in the world. Lorri

Originally Posted by flyme2
I find it much more advantageous to mention problems to the front desk/management at the beginning of the stay so they can be rectified while I'm still there. A little discussion, or confrontation if you will, has always served its intended purpose, and I get to reap the benefit during my stay.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by 787
There was a shrug and a 'sorry' when I told them about the problems. Not really interested at all.

So Never again I am afraid as I have been much better treated at other hotels in Cairo over the past few years of my visits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.