Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2002, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist

Any recent thoughts on this property? I've read lots of stuff raving about the restaurant, but how was treatment for Diamonds, nearness to beach, specific rooms or view to request? I've got an internet only rate of $100 for a long weekend this winter.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 11:49 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
It has been a LONG time...but I remember this being INCREDIBLE. The rate sounds GREAT. The only reason we did not go there more was due to price.

If it is still open, the RC is up on the top floor overlooking the bay and is beautiful...

I highly recommend driving down 2 hours and staying at Coconut Pointe. Or of course Grand Cypress...
Old Aug 6, 2002, 6:52 pm
In Memoriam

It's a very nice property. The nature boardwalk out on the bay is fantastic. The bayside restaurant and top floor Italian restaurant are very highly ranked but I have not been to either. I did stay here again a month ago on a priceline rate and I was disappointed. It was completely deserted do to the offseason and the RC was closed because of it. During the winter it should reopen. The beaches would be accross the bay on the Gulf coast probably 20-30 minutes away. The Coconut Pointe is a good suggestion and is about 2 and 1/2 hours south near Naples. I might be old school but I like the old style Sarasota Hyatt too. It's on the marina in downtown Sarasota which it now shares with the new Ritz Carlton. It's a pretty bland Hyatt but they are redoing the pool area to make it a little more resort-like. Just avoid the downtown Tampa Hyatt.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
You should get a bay view room as a Diamond. Overall, it's a great place.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Stayed there in June and also in November last year. Had stayed in villa (casita?) and tower rooms both. Both are the same size but you can park closer to the room, although walking back to the hotel is a good 10 minutes. Tile floors and ceiling fans were nice though.

Tower room upgrade stunning bay view but you have this from the RC anyways. Hotel staff was top notch and lounge was nice albeit noisy in the evening because of dinner crowd in Armani's Italian restaurant in open space directly above.

If you can, book brunch at OysterCatchers on Sunday- absolutely fabulous seafood which you will not regret and at good price. This is my favorite Hyatt in Florida. Lastly, you will be on the water but there is no beach there because you are on the gulf. Get out to Sand Key for nicer Gulf Beaches.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jan 7, 2003, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Rebranding: Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay

The Hyatt Regency Westshore in Tampa has just been rebranded Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay.

Here's the press release:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay Completes Multi-Million Dollar Guestroom Redesign; Hotel's Name Change Reflects Upscale Accommodations, Elegant Setting

Copyright 2003 Business Wire, Inc.
Business Wire...01/06/2003

The award-winning Hyatt Regency Westshore recently completed a multi-million dollar redesign of all guestrooms, providing the property with a fresh, updated look.

In addition, the hotel, located on Tampa Bay, has been "upgraded" to a "Grand Hyatt" status following the recent renovations which reflect the hotel's consistent "grand" service in an upscale setting. The hotel will now be known as the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay.

Traditionally, Grand Hyatt hotels serve culturally rich destinations that attract business and leisure travelers as well as large-scale meetings and conventions. The luxurious Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay offers all of the features required by a Grand Hyatt, including state-of-the-art technology, sophisticated business and leisure facilities, banquet and conference facilities of world-class standard and specialized programs that cater to discriminating business and vacation guests. The hotel's elegant ballrooms and award-winning restaurants, including Armani's and Oystercatchers, are perfect for hosting weddings, holiday and cocktail parties of grand scale.

The guestroom renovations, inspired by the hotel's beautiful site on Tampa Bay, create an ambiance that not only captures the colors of coastal Florida, but that also provides travelers with a home-away-from-home atmosphere. The colors used include the sunny yellows, pale sand and palm green highlights taken from bright, native flowers found on property. Patterns such as raffia and woven palm were mixed with soft, luxurious cottons and linens to create an interesting blend.

"We are very excited about the redesign of the guestrooms and the new Florida look", said Don McDaniel, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. "The project has transformed the rooms beautifully, and we are extremely pleased to announce our upgraded status to the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay", said McDaniel. "Our elegant atmosphere, impeccable service and 16-year stretch as Tampa's only AAA Four-Diamond rated hotel will help to differentiate us from other hotels in the area."

Guestroom function and comfort have been balanced with the carefully selected colors and fabrics. A large desk provides ample space for room service or an evening's work, including electrical and data ports built into the face of the desk for easy computer connection. A generously sized lounge chair and ottoman with adjacent side table and reading lamp provide relaxation in absolute comfort. Special emphasis was given to the bedding, including a thick, comfortable duvet, complemented by colorful throws and oversized pillows.

Guest baths were also completely updated with imported granite, decoratively framed mirrors, new wall coverings and delightfully patterned shower curtains. Lighting in the guest baths was enhanced with sconces placed on either side of the mirrors and down lights were added above lavatories to provide optimum light levels. Particular attention was placed on increasing the light levels in the baths, entry foyers and guestrooms with the use of high-efficiency bulbs and lamps designed for better overall lighting.

All furniture and fabric was custom-designed for Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay to convey a relaxed elegance to guests, while ensuring that rooms are functional as well as beautiful. The new decor is sophisticated, yet inviting and offers a warm, Florida welcome.

About Hyatt

Currently, there are 207 Hyatt hotels and resorts around the world. Hyatt Corporation and its affiliates manage, franchise or operate 123 hotels and resorts in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean. Affiliates of Hyatt International Corporation manage, franchise or operate 84 hotels and resorts in 39 countries. In the U.S., Hyatt worldwide reservations for individuals and groups can be reached at 1-800-233-1234. Outside the U.S., contact the local Hyatt sales office or representative. For more information about Hyatt hotels and resorts, visit Hyatt on the Internet at www.hyatt.com
</font>
Greetings

Muerz

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu or at http://www.no-limits.lu/hyatt
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Stayed there last Saturday night 1/4/03 before the name change. As a Diamond Member, they gave me access to the RC which had a great view of the bay. I was upgraded to a bayview room and the bed reminded me of *wood Heavenly Bed. Overall, I enjoyed my one night stay and would stay there again.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Hyatt Westshore Tampa Upgrades??

I've got a reservation for early Feb at this newly rebranded "Grand Hyatt"-- at a very cheap prepaid internet rate of $99 a night for 3 nights. As a Diamond, how does this property treat their top tier. Will the fact that I'm paying a low rate, at a GH affect my treatment? I generally don't care about upgrades as my stays are usually just one night and alone. But this time I'll be with my husband and we're staying longer. I assume I'll get on the club floor and get my usual amenity card-- but beyond that can I expect anything better?
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:20 pm

Stayed on priceline stay and got upgraded to the club level... renovations are great...this is definitely 4*...aminity card also...this was a steal at $55..drinks were on the honor system and the food was as good as any RC offers...you'll be happy...I'm headed back...
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Loved this property, think it is finally getting the credit it deserves as a Grand Hyatt now.

Even though no room upgrade,received Bay view which was same as view from Regency Club. Club can get noisy from Armani's restaurant above in the evenings.

Be sure to have brunch at Oyster Catchers and take a walk through the nature preserve on grounds. Pool facilities were not much but gym was very impressive.

Casita pool is more private and casitas were same size as regular rooms. Hyatt was kind enough to give us late checkout and use of room there while enjoyed a leisurely brunch and poolside afternoon before having to fly back home to reality.

Conceirge named Helga was fabulous for reservations.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:08 pm

I was there after Thanksgiving. The rooms are very nice; this was right before it was upgraded to a Grand. We were given a corner room on the RC floor with views of the bay and Airport. We also had a great lunch at Oyster Catchers, I’m not normally big on hotel restaurants, but food and views at Oyster Catchers are very nice.

The one strange thing was they forgot to open the RC the evening we were there. We were told it opened at 5 for evening service so we stopped by around 5:30 no one was in there and there was no food, so we stopped by again at 6:30, same thing. I call down to the front desk to find out what was up, and they did some checking and found out that the regular RC person was off that day and no one had been scheduled to set up the evening service. So they then sent a couple of people to set up the service around 7.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:05 pm

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay - Mini Review

I couldn't be happier with the room upgrade I received from the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay today. It's a top floor (14th floor) corner room with a beautiful view of the bay. There was a big thunderstorm earlier, but clouds cleared up about 1 hour before we got there.

This morning, I called 1800 Check-In and was booked room 1211, which was described as a club level with city view. At check in, I asked the receptionist if I could get a bay view room instead. He said that I was already check in, and had already been upgraded to a much better room.

With the huge windows and curtains open, my room began to warm up faster than the AC can cool it. The view at night should be wonderful though.

Behind and around the hotel there appears to be a wildlife sanctuary. I walked out on the boardwalk behind the hotels and saw lots of little fish and horseshoe crabs in the water. That was the first time I ever saw one of those crabs outside of the aquarium.

It's too bad that I'm only staying one night and my significant other isn't arriving until midnight. We're going to Orlando, Disney, for the rest of the weekend. (frequent forum readers will remember my last query about the Hyatt near Disneyland)

The Regency Club is nice, with huge windows that look over the same bay view. Part of the ceiling is open to the Armani's restaurant above, so there might be some noise in the evening.

The valet parking attendant was ok. My only qualm is that in about 30 seconds he mentioned that there was free parking available and he mentioned twice that the valet charge was $8 per night. IMO, very cheap as far as hotel valet parking goes, but I think most people aren’t as lazy as I am and would take the free parking route.

The concierge was busy with someone on the phone so wasn’t able to give me a detailed answer to my query about restaurants in the area open past midnight. He simply handed me a brochure for International Plaza and said that there might be a place there open that late. Not the kind of recommendation I was looking for, but I guess Tampa doesn’t have a lively night life like NYC.

There appears to be a NCAA tournament going on today and this weekend. Lots of activity in the lobby, right after I checked in. I hope it doesn’t get too rowdy tonight.

I flew in right from a client site for the weekend and didn’t pack any casual clothes. I forgot that Florida is extremely hot and humid. I wish I packed a bathing suit as the pool looks very tempting.

If I am ever in Tampa again, I would defiantly stay here as a Diamond. I’m not sure I would be as happy without Regency Club access, the room upgrade, and the bay view.

[This message has been edited by Tummy (edited 07-23-2003).]
Old Feb 21, 2004, 3:54 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Thursday. It's the Hyatt Regency Westshore updated.

They've done a very nice job with the hotel but they one thing the struck me most was the bed. I could swear it was a "heavenly" bed. It was extremely comfortable.

An associate, who was not on the RC floor, also commented about the bed, so they must be hotel wide.

I only got to try one restaurant, Oyster Catchers, and it was great.

I got out of the hotel just in time as Vice President Cheney was arriving for a fund raiser and staying directly above my room.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:22 am

Here are some photos I took from March 03.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316506
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135287
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134956
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134595
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134233
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:51 am
Suspended

Nice property, either solid views of the bay or, at least for me more interesting, a brilliant view of one of TPA`s main runways.

Regency Club was open on the weekend, which is rare in the US these days, so always a good memory..

One of the better Hyatt hotels in the US ( Park Hyatts excluded ) , albeit a little bit pricy in comparison to the ( inferior ) Regency downtown !!

Last edited by Threy; Dec 28, 2004 at 6:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.