Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Old May 23, 2004, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat 2.6M, HH DIA

- - bump - -
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
Park Hyatt Buenos Aires

Just got back from BA today and thought I'd pass on a little info for those interested in Buenos Aires.

I was walking through one of my favorite neighborhoods the other day and cam upon the site of the new (in development) Buenos Aires Park Hyatt!!! It's in fashionable Recoleta neighborhood on Alvear just down the block from the famous, and very expensive, Alvear Palace Hotel(especially by Argentine standards)! It looks like it is between two exquisite old mansions, not sure if one, or both, will be incorporated into the hotel. It looked like the corner one might be part of the hotel.

Didn't look like it would be ready this year though! But I was excited to see the location and am looking forward to staying there!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
The August issue of CondeNast Traveler has an advertisement for the Palacio Duhau-PArk Hyatt Buenos Aires- "opening late 2005". 165 rooms. room photo looked quite modern and minimalist in design.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, AA 2M Miles (Llifetime Platinum)
I am currently living in Buenos Aires and live in the Recoleta area. I love the old Hyatt (Four Seasons now). I stayed there on two of my house hunting trips to BA and was there 25 and 14 days respectively. I am looking forward to the opening of the new Hyatt. I may book a night on opening day. I wonder if they will send invites to the Platinum members who live in that city. Anyone ever heard of them doing anything like this??
I will keep you posted as I see the site comes to a finish.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by needmoremiles
I am currently living in Buenos Aires and live in the Recoleta area. I love the old Hyatt (Four Seasons now). I stayed there on two of my house hunting trips to BA and was there 25 and 14 days respectively. I am looking forward to the opening of the new Hyatt. I may book a night on opening day. I wonder if they will send invites to the Platinum members who live in that city. Anyone ever heard of them doing anything like this??
I will keep you posted as I see the site comes to a finish.
Thanks for offering to keep us up-to-date on the physical plant of the hotel.

I cannot recall a general mailing going out to Gold Passport Platinum or Diamond members with any sort of special invitation of any significant benefit these past few years. A basic flyer -- perhaps with a promotional rate code noted -- about the hotel being open or opening soon seems to be more a standard with a Hilton hotel opening (ex-OECD) than a Hyatt opening (ex-OECD). It would make sense to invite status members for the hotel opening, but they may prefer a soft opening that doesn't expose their more frequent guests to opening pains. They may not even think about it, but it would be very nice if they did. After all, loyal customers of a given brand should generally be more amenable to suggesting that brand to visitors coming to town.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
October may still be possible. I am hoping it is. From Park Hyatt Paris to Park Hyatt Buenos Aires would be a nice way to wrap up the year.
Strange combination that we are matching in September at PH Vendome and if possible, October at the new PH on Alvear. Let us hope that they do have a soft opening earlier in October when we are scheduled for BA.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:17 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by monitor
Strange combination that we are matching in September at PH Vendome and if possible, October at the new PH on Alvear. Let us hope that they do have a soft opening earlier in October when we are scheduled for BA.
I just received the following email:

Dear Mr. rbAA,

Greetings from Buenos Aires!

Thank you very much for your message and for your interest in Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires.

Our opening date is due during the last quarter of the year and estimated early December. Even though it seems that we will not be able to be your host during your next visit to our city, we will be glad to keep you posted as soon as the reservation system is active and rates available.

In the meantime I remain at your disposal for any further information that you may need and look forward to welcoming you soon in Buenos Aires.

Kind regards and warm wishes,

Jorgelina Massó
Director of Sales
Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires
Pre Opening Office
Edificio Libertador
Av. del Libertador 602 PB Of. B
C1001ABT, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Telephone: +54 11 5077 2570
Facsimile: +54 11 4811 5343
Mobile: +54 911 5958 6802
[email protected]
buenosaires.park.hyatt.com

I had volunteered to be the "guinea pig" in September for any training or soft opening. I will definitely stop by there in Sept when at the Cow DO.

Last edited by rbAA; Aug 22, 2005 at 8:43 am
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Thumbs up Brochure with Pictures on Website Now!! Looks BEAUTIFUL! I'm Going!!

Looks like the picture brochure is up on the website now....

http://buenosaires.park.hyatt.com/pdf/brochure.pdf

I can't wait to go there now!!!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkc22
Looks like the picture brochure is up on the website now....

http://buenosaires.park.hyatt.com/pdf/brochure.pdf

I can't wait to go there now!!!
Thanks for that. A note for sun-seekers: there appears to be only an indoor pool.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Just checked the website, and while the hotel looks great, the rates--even for a weekend in off season, seem a bit steep for BA. I'm getting US $330 as one of the cheaper rates. So, while I'd love to try out this new property, unless Hyatt has some lower rates in store, I'll stick with the Park Tower -- whose rates include airport transport + breakfast for under US$ 200 are a bit more palatible
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:43 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by mauld
Just checked the website, and while the hotel looks great, the rates--even for a weekend in off season, seem a bit steep for BA. I'm getting US $330 as one of the cheaper rates. So, while I'd love to try out this new property, unless Hyatt has some lower rates in store, I'll stick with the Park Tower -- whose rates include airport transport + breakfast for under US$ 200 are a bit more palatible
And don't forget the butler service and free laundry items. Though, on my last stay, even with 2 butlers, I had a hard time getting my shirt pressed and delivered before the pre-dinner get together.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, AA 2M Miles (Llifetime Platinum)
Update

The hotel still is under construction. I do not think it will open before mid December. It is really a nice piece of property and I imagine it will be top-of-the-line. Will keep you all update as I see the construction comes to an end.

I also recently visited the Faena Hotel in Puerto Madero. It is of the same style as the Delano in Miami and the Hudson Hotel in NY and was done by Phillip Star who is the designer who did the two hotels I just mentioned. It is unlike any other hotel I have seen in South America. Prices start at USD 340 a night.

Diego
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:40 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

How would you compare this city in safety to other cities?
I have never been to Buenos Aires.This thread has me very interested ^
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
How would you compare this city in safety to other cities?
I have never been to Buenos Aires.This thread has me very interested ^
Safe for most all tourists. Safer than most all cities of comparable size in Latin/South America. Safer than most large cities in the US .... especially if using common sense and not going to the poorest neighborhoods.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
The website has finally been updated with new information:
http://buenosaires.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.