Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2002, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-GM, WN-CP, IC-Plat

From The Baltimore Sun, Sunday, December 8:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The Hyatt's full name - Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa and Marina - suggests how much is being offered: an 18-hole golf course designed by noted course architect Keith Foster, a 150-slip marina, indoor and outdoor pools, conference center, fitness center, tennis and a spa.

A recent weekend visit showed that, despite some growing pains, overzealous marketing and ambitious pricing, there is much to like about the new resort.</font>
Full story: http://www.sunspot.net/travel/bal-tr...slife%2Dtravel
Old Feb 1, 2003, 7:45 am

We stayed here over Labor Day 2002, the second day after they opened. Boy did they need to get their act together! The golf course, spa, and at least two of the restaurants were not open. The pools were freezing.

Having said all this, the lobby, public areas and rooms are beautiful. It will be a great getaway this spring and summer.

There is not much to do outside the resort so I think two-three nights would be more than enough.
Old May 22, 2003, 12:33 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Hyatt Chesapeake- Any Reviews?

Property has just recently opened and I may plan on staying this weekend, any reviews or experiences? Seems to be secluded which is good and bad but to be a new property, the rooms look more like a Best Western than a luxury Hyatt.

Can not really expect much as I have dropped from Diamond to Platinum but would like to
look forward to a great stay.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Old May 22, 2003, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I stayed there at the beginning on April with another Diamond finishing up her ffns.

I can say that best western may be too harsh, but this place needs some major work to have it function like a top notch resort.

The room configs are really strange, I was in a jr. suite that just needed some more furniture~~a couch, coffee table and some more soft furnishings, you just couldn't relax. You would need binocs to see the tv from the bed.

However, the concierge was nice, if she didn't know the answer she would find out.

The food was okay, it wasn't top rate. The waitstaff at the bar and restaurant need to be educated about their products. That is not their fault, but the fault of the manager.

The spa is nice, I haven't been to too many. I had a good facial. The resort isn't the type that you would feel comfortable running around in your bathrobe.

As for the pools, they seemed nice, but I can't imagine what they will be like when school gets out.

I'm so glad I only paid 130/night for my room.

lala
Old May 22, 2003, 6:44 pm

I liked the yoga class. My massage was very good. My room was right next to lalala's, and also had the problem of too much empty space. Plus a balcony minus chairs. But with construction debris.

On the other hand, the walking trail was just fine. The golf course looks wonderful.

The staff in the bar seemed to have more on the ball than in the restaurant. They were trying out a new bar menu during our visitand the staff was eager for comments. Our waitress not only listened to the answers, but asked several sharp follow up questions. She should be running the place.

I have a feeling summer weekends will be jammed, weekdays much less so.
Old May 24, 2003, 12:35 pm

I stayed here the first weekend they opened, Labor Day 2002. What a disaster. They really did not have their act together-half the restaurants and activites were closed, the pools were freezing, golf course closed and the only thing my kids wanted to do-make s'mores in the firepit as advertised...never happened. Big disappointment.

Having said all this, the rooms were small but lovely. The open feel nice and so close to us Washingtonians for a quick getaway. So, we'll try it again.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:27 pm

Any info about the new Hyatt Chesapeake Bay resort you can give me?

I will be staying at the Hyatt Chesapeake in Maryland over Labor Day weekend. Has anyone stayed there yet? It's only been open about a year now. I heard that alot of things weren't open or available when they opened last year, but I would think they have straightened out the bugs by now. Any thoughts you can give will be a big help.

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Call and see if the regency club has opened yet, if it has and your a plt or diam, you'll probably score an upgrade and free food. It wasn't open when joanek and I were there for a "Spa weekend".

FWIW, maybe by then the kinks will have been worked out. I liked it, but it was deluged by small ones in April. I can imagine what the pools will be like at Labor day -- so I would avoid it. However, YEMV.

lala

Old Aug 5, 2003, 2:14 pm
Suspended

My parents were just there this past weekend and they didn't mention anything about it being open.

Inasmuch as my Dad is a Diamond he certainly would have regaled me with stories about the club's vittles.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 4:03 pm

That's fine NJUP... but can you find out what they thought of the place in general? I am not a plat or diamond member so I probably will be in a standard room. I am more interested if all of the published amenities are in place and open after a year of business.

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2003, 8:07 pm
Suspended

My parents do not golf or play tennis, but they have told me that the facilities for both are quite impressive, as are the 3 (?) pools -- one with a water slide, as well as the large spa on premises. Access to spa may cost some dinero.

They liked the property, although they were upgraded to a water view room. Can't tell you about the standard rooms, though, but my brother and his family probably stayed in one, and they enjoyed their stay there, as well.

My parents said that the hotel staff were extremely nice and thoughtful, if a bit green around the edges.

If there is anything else specific you would like me to ask them, just let me know!
Old Aug 6, 2003, 6:51 pm

Thanks NJUP.... What I would like to know, if you can find out, is ask your brother since he has a family, how the activities and such for the kids were. I will have a 5yr and almost 12yr with us and don't want to hear I'm bored all weekend.

thanks again!
Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:14 pm
Suspended

sweetp267:

Will do, but I can tell you now that from what I heard, my nephews went nuts about the pool with the water slide!
Old Aug 7, 2003, 3:27 pm

Sounds good. My girls and I are looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks again
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:00 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sweetp267:
Sounds good. My girls and I are looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks again
</font>
OK -- 2 pools outside one indoors and a small beach for the kids to play in the sand. There also is shuffleboard and a Hyatt kids program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.