Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mumbai / Bombay - GH & HR REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...artid=30871841
Old Dec 10, 2002, 9:28 pm

This hotel is near the airport, and if I remember correctly, that's kind of out in the boonies. It's not in the city enter.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
that's correct. but makes it convenient for all those late night arrivals into india. the airport is a bit out there, but nothing in greater bombay is really the boonies...

anyone know what happened to the projected grand hyatt mumbai in bandra? did that go the way of the grand hyatt delhi?

in central bombay, try the taj or oberoi if you're looking for 5-star extravagance.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 6:04 pm

Hyatt Regency Mumbai

Looking for advise on HR Mumbai, on the www. it looks like a nice Hotel. Any Info is appreciated. I am booked at US $ 165 for a R/C Room - can i as a Diamond expect a Suite ? - or do i better re-book a Normal Room and just go for the Diamond upgrade.

Also - since i am there for 3 nights are there interesting sites - restaurants - one has to see ?

many tks - best wishes to all
Toby on the Road
Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Toby--

I stayed there around Christmas time for a night and its a nice hotel -- the hotel is definitely one of the new hip places to hang out with a pretty flashy weekend scene at the restaurants.

I have no idea about suites but $165 seems a very steep to me -- I'd probably go for the normal room, unlikely you'd get the upgrade to a suite anyway. Its only a cat. 1 hotel so 5K points seems like a much better deal!

Anyway, this hotel is convenient to the airport but not to central Mumbai (the only things around it are other airport 5-stars), so I would recommend if you want to check out this hotel, take advantage of the pickup service and stay for a night the day you get in or right before you leave, and then move into the Oberoi or Taj in central Mumbai for better access to stuff to do. These are more expensive hotels but better for exploring.

The RC is actually on the 2nd floor and open 24 hours!!

The guy who was running the RC is named Rahel and is super-friendly. The room we got was fine, nothing spectacular but in standard Hyatt modern style, with a nice bathrrom if nothing else... I was there about 2 weeks after the hotel opened so I imagine things have settled down since then... RC has a very nice breakfast in the am and alcohol and canapes at night with some cheese and crackers, nuts, and soft drinks all 24 hours!

The hotel has FREE pressing so worth taking advantage of.

Food in the restaurant is good, but expensive by Indian standards, not sure about health club, pool, etc as none of these things were open when we were there.

When are you going? My family is from Mumbai so I can definitely give you lots of suggestions on things to do.

The quick list:
* Walk around south Bombay and see the great colonial architecture.
* Take a trip up to Malabar Hill and look down at Marine Drive (the "Queen's Necklace") at sunset.
* Visit the Crawford market and the area known as Kalbadevi/Bhuleshwar where the famous Chor Bazaar is (Thieves' Market).
* Go to Mumbai CST (Victoria Terminus) station at rush hour and watch the craziness of the mad crowds trying to get on/off the trains.
* Check out Haji Ali Mosque which sticks out into the sea just north of the city, and the famous Mahalaxmi Temple nearby.
* Have a meal or at least a drink at Indigo, a fantastic Indian/Continental restaurant in the streets behind the Taj Hotel.
* Take a boat out to Elephanta Caves.
* Go see a Bollywood movie.
* Visit the beach at Juhu and have Pau Bhaji on the beach.

I could go ON and ON... it's one of my favorite places in the world.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 2:52 pm

I am also looking for any and all inputs without much luck. Considering it for 8 nights vacation and was curious as to the location relative to the city, availability of car for hire & cost, tours, use of Hyatt check cert in US Dollars etc. I sent a fax today and will advise what I find out. Looks like a nice property and I am getting a rate of $ 120 / night late May.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 1:27 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Review of Gh Mumbai

Stayed there last week.

I would LOVE to be around to get the feedback of a first time visitor to India!!

The hotel approach is along a dirt road complete with a slum , filthy surface water and beggars. I actually enjoyed it as it is a very nice juxtaposition of India today. Enormous wealth with enormous poverty.

The hotel itself is in keeping with Hyatts in Asia, awe inspiring. Huge expanses of marble, wall to wall service and a great Grand Club. No need for lunch outside as the breakfast and 'nibbles' at night were sufficient.

Rooms were Ok, a little on the small side , but modern looking. bathroom was great .Gym was large , with a plethora of equipment. Pool wasn't open, but we used the residents one which was about 2 ft deep and WARM.

One concern was the seeming lack of soundproofing. We had no guests near us, but could hear what was happening outside in the corridors easily. Ditto the great outdoors. Earplugs would easily fix it.

Service was very willing , other guests conspicuous by their absence.

The hotel is isolated but close to the airport. However it made for some interesting times when using local taxi's and auto rickshaws (tuk-tuk's) . I could still be there if i hadn't used my cell phone to call the reception , who then spoke to the driver in Hindi.

Dunno about using it again , hassles with finding it are negatives, grand Club and the service were the positives. DEFINITELY worth trying at least once.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have not stayed at the Grand Hyatt Bombay, but I have used the Hyatt Regency Bombay and it may work well for some since is very close to the international airport (like a 5-minute cab ride). I use it for the night prior to departure or the night of arrival and I recommend it as being close to comparable to any of the other major international-branded hotels there. I do have some minor complaints -- including mosquitos that seem to get into the rooms -- but nothing that would make this a place to avoid.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by AshleyF
One concern was the seeming lack of soundproofing. We had no guests near us, but could hear what was happening outside in the corridors easily. Ditto the great outdoors. Earplugs would easily fix it.
I drove past this property a couple of days ago, and it certainly looks impressive. The sound proofing issue is disappointing. In India, use of the car horn is near constant... this makes the areas surrounding streets EXTREMELY LOUD. Everytime I go to India, I pack earplugs to facilitate sleep. Nearly all the Indian hotels at which I've stayed have similar issues.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:14 am

Was there In June. The pool was finished, but it was like a warmbath in terms of heat.
Gym was fine. Grand Club was terrific.
A real oasis , problem is that not all taxi drivers knew where it was, so keep the mobile phone handy with the Hyatt number (unless you speak Hindi).

Rooms were nice, service was excellent. Surroundings were 'interesting' , basically a slum.

My determination would be based on where your office is. traffic to and from Santa Cruz is pretty deadly.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 5:56 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Thanks

Thanks AshleyF for your review. I know what you are saying about the area -- when I was at the hotel in April they had not finished paving the whole thing. It looked nice at the time although there was still much construction going on. I don't understand the concept of opening up a property with only limited rooms/restaurants/recreation facilities and then still not having everything complete 6 months later. As far as locating the hotel, my driver got lost trying to get to it. Note to everyone --- if you are not using the Hotel's transporation optin (hertz or avis cars/drivers) have a printout with where this place is located. I second the fact that the hotel has a view only of the slums...but concidering that 30% of mumbai's population lives in those conditions -- no big surprise.

Thanks Again.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:40 am

Definitely not lush. Paved concrete. The pool was shallow, about 3 ft from memory, hence the warm temperature. About a dozen deckchairs in a row.
I think the only way to get greenery in Bombay is to head for a park , with the rest of the population.

If you were looking for a outside escape, the Taj has a better outdoor ambience, but it is nowhere as stylish as the G Hyatt
Old Oct 24, 2004, 2:18 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Originally Posted by AshleyF
Definitely not lush. Paved concrete. The pool was shallow, about 3 ft from memory, hence the warm temperature. About a dozen deckchairs in a row.
I think the only way to get greenery in Bombay is to head for a park , with the rest of the population.

If you were looking for a outside escape, the Taj has a better outdoor ambience, but it is nowhere as stylish as the G Hyatt

My long extended stay ended up being 1 night! I wanted this hotel to work out -- it just did not meet my expectations.

One: AC was broken. The thermostat was set to 20 C but the room was always at 28 C (VERY HOT!).

Two: While this hotel is a 20 minute drive from the airport, it seems like it is directly under the flight path. This is something I never noticed during my multiple prior "Dining Trips" to this property.

Three: While the room design is quite nice and contemporary, the overall design of the hotel is semi-jail like. Why would they build gardens that have nothing but poorly grown grass and brushed concrete? You look out of your window and it makes you depressed (comparative to the ocean/pool view a the JW MARRIOTT)

Four: The bed is not comfortable. I like firm beds but I have never had firm like this before.

Five: Hotel occupancy. This place seems empty. Very few papers hanging from the door and no one in the grand club.

All in all -- while the rooms are quite nice -- the negatives overshadow the benefits. I have moved out -- something I have not done in years -- after just a few hours in this hotel. I am sure I will enjoy its restaurants during my stay...the staff seemed very helpful...this may be the place to stay in a year or so...but for now...STICK TO THE JW!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:05 pm

I had a very nice experience here late last week. I want to briefly address the previous poster's comments:

-- Climate control was fine in my room.
-- GC rooms are on the 1st and 2nd floor of this hotel and I heard nothing from outside... I was on an inside-facing courtyard room, so perhaps that made the difference. There is absolutely no issue with flight noise in my experience.
-- The hotel is definitely a bit sleek and modern for my taste but jail-like is a little strong. The waterfall in the courtyard is nice indeed.
-- Standard-issue Hyatt international beds. Very comfortable for my taste.
-- I was there on the Friday of independence day weekend and yes, it was a bit empty.

The Grand Club is a particularly nice space and the gym is good, though I didn't try the pools. The restaurants are all fantastic, and this in a city filled with good restos.

The JW Marriott has an exquisite location on the beach and is a beautiful property. That said, I've found the staff to be among the worst in Mumbai. I am of Indian origin and I find that *some* Indian five-stars treat us worse than those who are obviously Western. I found none of this differentiation at the Grand Hyatt.

The downside is potentially the location depending on where you're working:Santa Cruz/Kalina is convenient to the domestic airport and to the growing Bandra-Kurla complex, but not to South Bombay, so think about this when you choose this hotel. For real South Bombay work, the Taj or Oberoi or the new Sheraton in Lower Parel might be better options. That said, I had no trouble finding taxi or auto rickshaw drivers who knew the Hyatt. Just make sure you tell them to go to the "Hyaath" hotel near the Western Express Highway in Kalina.

All in all, they've done a nice job with this property and seemed to get over the initial service snags. It's a major cut above the Hyatt Regency property in my opinion.

Just one final anecdote. Kalina was one of the worst affected areas in the recent floods with water levels supposedly well over 10 feet in parts. The GM of the Hyatt apparently opened up the hotel-- ballrooms and banquet halls, etc-- to people from the streets who were stranded in the area and couldn't get home. Kudos to the hotel for being decent corporate citizens in a time of crisis.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:26 pm

Programs: lots
HR Mumbai or Grand Mumbai?

I'll be there for 3-4 days early next year for a friend's wedding. He has events at the JW Marriott in Juhu, his family home in Khar, and the actual wedding at the Leela hotel.
Which hotel would be better for me - I'll be travelling with 2 friends and we all want to stay in the same room, so I'd love to get upgraded as a diamond. Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.