Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kolkata (Calcutta), India REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Looks like this hotel is now open for business, though none of it's links on the Hyatt web site work. Anyone stay there? Any opinions or impressions?
Old Oct 22, 2005, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Hotel is Not Good

I stayed at the Hyatt Kolkata hotel for two nights in September and I can honestly say it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

First and foremost, the hotel is realtively new and is very nice in appearence. It is located, as most hotels in India, in the middle of a very poor area. The enterance to the hotel is gated. The lobby is lovely and the resturants very nice. The Indian Rest. is excellent!

The rooms are small and not as nice as the public areas of the hotel. Our air conditioning did not work very well and the room was very hot.

The staff have language issues and service overall is very slow. The room was not cleaned at all on our second day.

You will be overcharged if you book any services from the hotel. We were charged at least 10x more for a car and driver over local rates with places like Hertz aqnd Avis. As my company was paying, I went with the hotel car service. Depite requisting an English speaking driver, our driver neither spoke English nor knew the location of where we were going. The hotel refused to refund the charges associated with the drive/car, until after I left and contact Hyatt's main office.

As a Diamond, you will be given a club room. Not many people were staying at the hotel when we were there. The hotel does treat paying club guests differently from upgraded guests. For instance, paying club guests get free internet. If you are an upgraded Diaomd you must pay for your internet. Moreover, even though you will be upgraded and the hotel pre-reserves your room the night before, you will need to pay for your airport transfer. Transfers are free to paying club guests. After some argument, the hotel agreed to provide free return transfer.

The breakfast and evening spead in the club is very small. not many breakfast items, not much in the way of evening snacks or even alcohol variety.

The hotel is very far from the main part of the city.

Perhaps we hit the hotel at a bad time, but I will never stay here again.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:06 am

HR Kolkata is a great hotel (for Kolkata)!!!

Originally Posted by SethLevy
I stayed at the Hyatt Kolkata hotel for two nights in September and I can honestly say it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. .... Perhaps we hit the hotel at a bad time, but I will never stay here again.
My experience was quite a bit different to that of SethLevy

There are about five "full service" hotels in Kolkata that are worth considering; and these include the Oberoi Grand (top of the tree); the Taj Bengal; the Park; the ITC Hotel Sonar Bangla Sheraton & Towers; and the Hyatt. I have stayed at all of these hotels other than the new Sheraton, and in my opinion the Hyatt is in the top two for comfort and service. It is also reasonably priced at about $90-100. The Sheraton is close to $180, The Oberio around $200, and the othere are about $20-30 more than the Hyatt.

The Hyatt Kolkata is excellent value for corporate clients

When compared to other Hyatts in the chain, the HR Kolkata holds its own with some of the best Hyatts in the US. It is NOT a "Grand" or a "Park" but it is modern and comfortable and an oasis in Kolkata.

It does suffer from a poor location.

As a Diamond, I have never had any trouble with being upgraded; and I never felt any form of "discrimination" as an upgradee.

I guess that a lot depends upon your expectations. My expectations when in Kolkata are not high - but the Hyatt well and truly exceeded them
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:27 pm

Angry Club ... don't waste your time!

Recently back from Kolkata. Pleased to say rooms are nice ... really like the bathroom! Was staying on the Club Floor (no free upgrade ... paid). Didn't receive any welcome amenity .. not even a letter. After 3 days, a box of nuts was sent to my room.

Went for breakfast on the first morning and after waiting 10 minutes to be served (we were the only 2 pax in the club) I asked for an OJ only to be told they don't have any left. OK .. I'll have an Earl Grey tea .... 'Old Green Tea' was the reply I received? No, Earl Grey ... I consider this fairly standard .. especially in a western hotel. I was then offered OJ from a packet .. OK ... I didn't mind where it came from ... suddenly they didn't have this either. Again, but the same man in the same breathe, he asked if I wanted OJ (Yes .. you're reading correctly). I asked if he had OJ or not, he replied in the negative. I was then offered Watermelon juice which I declined. I was then offered OJ again (yes, that's right). My blood pressure rose. Again I asked clearly 'do you have OJ' and again I was replied to in the negative. I asked him not to offer me something he doesn't have. The watermelon option was offered again. I asked him to go away before I screamed! No joy ... I would survive without a beverage.

Buffet was very empty. I asked if things would be replaced and was told it is 'empty'.. well I never! I asked if it had been a very busy morning ... apparently it wasn't. 5 minutes later a girl made the mistake and came over to ask if I would like a drink. I asked 'do you have OK' she said no. Ok, what about the Earl Grey tea? No, nothing ... you would swear I was speaking Kswahili! I said I don't want anything when she promptly informed me that OJ was on it's way. I had enough ... I left before I did something with the OK. I never saw it ... don't know if they did have it or not

OK ... evening came .. thought maybe breakfast was an isolated incident. No, again, 3 staff in the lounge and 4 guests seated on 2 tables when we arrived. Again, after wanting sometime, I had to ask for a drink. Again, the 'nibble' selection was extremely limited ... and never refilled. They preferred to stand there and talk to each other about the fact the bowl was empty. I kid you not!

This 'Faulty Towers Sketch' went on for my entire stay! On the second morning I was asked if I wanted a drink .... well lets say that they obviously understand body language better than they do the spoken form!

Have to say I was extremely disappointed with the staff attitude at this hotel. The product is quite nice ... don't think I'll be back! Any other suggestions for hotels in CCU?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:39 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Does anyone have any recent experience with this property?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Any recent experiences at this hotel?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:11 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I stayed there in 2008. It was quite nice.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I stayed there in 2008. It was quite nice.
Thank you.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:28 am

Any recent reviews?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Rubal
Any recent reviews?
Rooms are nice and large. Was upgraded to the Club Floor (without Club access).

3 restaurants... all good. Italian, Indian and the multi cruisine coffee shop
1 bar
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Any more recent reviews?

I am hoping to take my folks there for a few days. Anyone with any recent reviews of the property? Perhaps as a diamond member booked on a suite?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:43 am

Four night stay

I stayed for four nights in the HR Kolkata. This was my first stay in a Hyatt ever, so I registered for the Diamond Challenge (as HHonors Gold) and received Diamond trial status for my stay.

I couldn't find any serious flaw with the hotel -- everything was excellent. All in all, Hyatt really did well with this trial Diamond membership, showing me their best side.

Airport pick-up. Very professional. Driver spoke reasonably good English.

Check-in. As Diamond member, I was upgraded to the executive floor and given free internet access as well as free breakfasts. Also, I was told that with the executive floor room, I also get complimentary airport transfers (meaning that I would not have to pay for the transfer that I had already received).

Room. I got a room with street view (pool view towards the back is slightly nicer, but not a huge difference, especially since you have the pool view in the Regency Club). The bed was large and very nice. Complimentary pralines and fruit as well as water that was replenished often. Room had all amenities that you'd expect.

Garden. The garden behind the hotel is very calm and a place to sit and meet or work. I didn't use the pool or the gym. There were special events every evening in the garden (a wedding reception, a dance performance, etc.)

Breakfast. I could choose between breakfast in the Regency Club or the Waterside Cafe. The first two days, I went to the cafe, assuming that it would have more choice. On the third day, I was in a rush and used the club, only to realize that it has almost the same selection. Breakfast in the club is much more relaxed than in the cafe. The breakfast selection is excellent: lots of cereals with different types of milk (including soy milk), many types of yogurt, warm orders possible (there is a chef in the club), cheeses, bread, pastries.

Regency Club. I spent quite some time there, a whole afternoon after my check-out on the last day, but also two evenings. It is not very crowded, and the dinner selection is enough to skip dinner if you are not overly hungry.

Wireless. One of the stablest and fastest hotel wireless connections I have ever encountered. Free for Diamonds, otherwise Rs. 700 for 24 hours.

Taxis & Hotel car. The hotel arranges taxis for their clients and takes care that the driver knows where to go. On the last day, I took the hotel car instead of a taxi. That is overpriced (I paid Rs. 2400 for a short trip to Victoria Monument), but very convenient. You get newspapers and water in the car.

Only two minor points: On the last day, when I returned from breakfast, maintenance was in my room, fixing a broken glass panel. I didn't really mind, but they continued to work without asking me whether this was OK. Also, the hotel doesn't have an ATM. The closest ATM is only a five minute walk, but you have to walk down a street that doesn't look terribly safe. Probably not for everyone.

The prepaid rate I got was Rs. 6200. At this rate, this was an incredible deal. I will certainly return when I am next in Kolkata.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:39 am

Any recent reviews?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat
We stayed here last week and had a wonderful stay. It was recommended to us by a client we were visiting as being fairly close to the office, and indeed, it was only about a 15 minute drive in the morning. It's rather farther to the sightseeing area of town, so it may not be the best choice if you're going for tourism.

We were on the executive club floor. It was quiet and calm, and the rooms were large, clean and comfortable. There were multiple complimentary bottles of water in the room every day. The staff in the club was over-the-top helpful for us, with everything from printing documents to helping with an internet issue. The club had drinks and hot snacks in the evening, and breakfast was there in the morning. Breakfast included a wide variety of choices, and they made eggs and omelets for us as well. They really took very good care of us.

The internet was fast and usable. My colleague used the spa and enjoyed her treatment very much. We ate one meal in the Italian restaurant and it was fine, and we ate one dinner at the buffet in the cafe, which was fine also.

We had no trouble with airport pick-up or drop-off. We were visiting multiple clients each day, so we took drivers for the whole day, three days in a row. Each of them were professional and friendly and spoke English just fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. In fact, I look forward to going back.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: Life
Stayed here recently as a Globalist, lounge is closed till March 2022 so I heard. 2 drinks and 2 startes 6-8 at the buffet restaurant. Benefits not explained no amenity no upgrade nothing. Overall very poor status recognition. Seems to have a steady clientele from the services and the Airline crew. Just So-So. Apart from Hyatt Regency in Gurgaon, my experience with recognition at other Indian Hyatt properties has been very poor, suppose the hospitality industry is just trying to survive here than worry abt Status benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.