Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Irvine (returned to Hyatt 28 Aug 2023) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2002, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum

Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt in Irvine near SNA Airport. I would appreciate an feedback.
Old May 13, 2002, 7:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I stayed there on a Priceline rate on a Sat in March. The hotel was your average large hotel - nice enough but nothing special. Self parking was a bit of a hike however.
Old May 13, 2002, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Typical big Hyatt. As Diamond I was upgraded to larger room, amenity choice, and free full breakfast in morning. Regency Club status unknown.

I believe they have a free shuttle from SNA, but you will want a car or friendly locals as it is in a business park with not much interesting in walking distance.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
CLD, LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.

[This message has been edited by World20 (edited 05-13-2002).]
Old Feb 26, 2003, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hyatt Irvine

Ok, stepping aside from the fact that I'm trying to figure out how all of you get $21-28 stay at Hyatts as I never get that...

I stayed last weekend at the Hyatt Irvine (was attending a conference) and was very pleased. I'm a Hyatt Gold that actually doesn't stay at them too often anymore, as I normally do the Marriott/Hilton thing because of their greater # of overseas properties.

Check-in was easy, and I had a delightful corner room (larger) w/ a view of the mountains (which you could actually see, something out of Hyatt's control due to LA smog). Nice size, loved the bed, chair & ottoman facing the mountain - I overslept a bit one morning of the conference & once I realized it, decided to just stay in the room & read the paper & gaze at the view (had a balcony but decided to opt for the chair/ottoman just next to the balcony on the inside - us LAers freeze to death even at warm tempatures - or warm compared to folk from the east & midwest).

Bar was nice - btw - there's a "bar w/in a bar (although the waitress has to go to the main bar to get the drinks; not a problem). Very cool & nice, although most people don't realize it's there cuz they stop at the lobby bar not realizing the other one. Anyway, service & drinks good.

Restaurant (2) were quite good.

I'd recommend this hotel to others, & was delightfully surprised given this was an "airport hotel".

Oh yes, they just opened a biz center & I used their internet access rather than shlep the laptop computer. I knew I wasn't going to check that much so $7.50/15min didn't bother me (and they allowed me to split the time; 8 minutes 1 time; 7 the other - not sure they'd do that all the time), but if I had to do it on a regular basis $30/hour seems a bit high.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:41 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I stayed here last month and I was impressed at the quality of the room and the kindness of the regency club staff.

The gym is pretty nice too.

This is in contrast to my Long Beach stay which was terrible. I would have commuted between irvine and long beach if I had known.

lala
Old Mar 28, 2003, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Class move. Hyatt Irvine undergoing renovations. FYI

I just got a call based upon some upcoming reservations at the Hyatt Irvine. The Hotel is undergoing some renovations which means the Club Lounge will be closed for a couple of months. They are accomodating people entitled with breakfest vouchers. That was a class move to call. We are on a AAA rate so already entitled to breakfest. FYI
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Hyatt Irvine Stay Report

The last few months I've been working in the Irvine, CA area and tried out several of the 4 * hotels (via Priceline). I'm a Hilton Diamond and Starwood Plat but a Hyatt nothing. I've had a couple of stays at the Hyatt Irvine so I thought I would write up a little bit. I'm still looking for a good hotel in the area if anyone has any recommendations (as close to the Irvine Spectrum as possible and reasonably price since it is out of my pocket).

Valet parking is $15, self is $12, and considering the trek from the parking lot it makes sense to valet. However, the valet parking isn't a "Qualifying" charge so don't expect points. They do a good job of pulling up the car and if you call down it will be waiting. I found the valet staff to be more attentive than the front desk staff.

The gym is one of the highlights. Several of the trainers have their own LCD screens and headsets are freely available. There is no charge for the fitness center. I've gotten used to bottle water and fruit available at other hotels and was disappointed to find that I'd have to call room service for anything. After one workout I called roomservice for an energy drink ($6 after charges) delivered warm with a plastic cup of ice to the workout room 15 minutes later.

During my last stay (4 nights) there was a huge gathering of asian twentysomethings and the hotel was a mess and very noisy. Every trash can was full of fast food bags including trash in the elevators. I ended up moving twice during my stay trying to find a quiet room. They ended up putting me on the Regency floor which is card key controlled which kept the riff raff out. Front desk said there was nothing they could do about it other than having security come by (I ended up on the 13th "card key controlled" floor where things were quiet).

I figure the sales stuff was happy to sell out all the rooms to this gathering during a slow time of the year (between Christmas and New Years).

All the rooms are pretty much the same - including the same artwork ("Remember to pack your favorite pair of socks"). I think I'm going to have nightmares about that painting. The rooms I've had on the 2nd, 4th and 10th were all the same. The "Regency Floor" up on the 13th was the same size room with the same furnishings except it had magazines and the bathroom had cotton balls. Never saw a club room anywhere.

The front desk is mixed. Every stay (all Priceline) my Hyatt number was messed up. Upon checkin they entered it and then upon checkout it was gone. I had to insist on getting a receipt with my Hyatt number on it. When I checked out early because of the hotel noise from the younger guests the front desk didn't seem to care. I did get them to promise to call Priceline to refund my one night but who knows if they really will. I did get the "Internet Rate" snob attitude from 1 or 2 of the front desk staff.

The restaurant is somewhat pricey but there is a little cafe. Breakfast ran me $15 after tax and tip for the cold cereal bar. It is a few bucks more for french toast, bacon and scrambled eggs. The Marriott down the 405 is a much better deal for breakfast with a manned omlette station. Restaurant stays are "Qualified".

Movie charges aren't "Qualifying" charges. TV selection includes HBO and ESPN.

My Priceline rate for this hotel has been $41. Would I stay here for $199 a night on my own nickel? I doubt it. $41? Yes, if I knew there wasn't anything big going on and I could get a quiet nights sleep.

I'll let people know if the hotel really does cancel my reservation with Priceline. At this point I really don't care anymore (kinda like last night when changing rooms for the second time).

The week after next I'm at the Hilton Costa Mesa (another Priceline stay) where I've received excellent treatment (even as a Priceline guest). Next week I'm going to try the Hilton Garden Lake Forest (AAA rate). Also done several nights at the Marriott and the Hilton Costa Mesa. So far the Hilton has been the best in the area and just wish it would popup all the time.

I did one night at the Westin South Coast Plaza on a reasonable "holiday special" rate ($109) but didn't get upgraded as a Plat (not even to a high level floor with a bathrobe - I was told later I could have called down for one) and the room was dirty when I got in (the coffee maker/mugs had been used). Apparently the guy in front of me when I was checking in complaining of the same type of housekeeping problems. Oh, and room service messed up my breakfast.

Geez - it sure sounds like I'm bitter! Most of the time things are great but when you stay at hotels 5 nights a week you keep track of the problems. They seem to stand out more than the highlights.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:34 am

Orange County doesn't seem to be a treasure trove of great hotels. I tried the Anaheim Hyatt and the Hyatt Newporter last month, and I'll be at the Irvine and Hungtinton Beach Hyatts next weekend. Hoping the latter two are better than the former...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:14 pm

Programs: Various
Hyatt OC

They've renovated almost everything in the hotel. On my stay this month I was given a room with one of the luxurious Grand Beds, which was the highlight of the whole experience. The only thing I found odd was the angle that the bed and armoire/tv are placed made the space of the room seem too compact. It was clean and fresh smelling and a great stay. This is a 3.5 star place.

Hyatt Huntington Beach

Several stays here. This is a resort and the property is less than 2 yrs old, so everything is well kept. Every room is similar to a Gold Passport room with robes, extra toiletries etc. that you would find in the nicer Hyatts. It's very spacious and can't say anything but good things about it. This would rank a 4.5...bordering 5 star

Hyatt Newporter

Oh man!!!! If you're going to choose to stay here, you might have to switch rooms a few times to find something nice. I was assigned a room that was like a cabana with bamboo furniture and worn fixtures everywhere. Noisy A/C and Dismal amenities over all. Close to golfing etc but I'd rank this a 3 star.

Hyatt Irvine

I did stay here one time...two years ago, and hey!!! There were droves of Asian Students hanging out in the loby and banquet rooms then too. I don't remember much, but I'd say 3.5 star....much better than Long Beach, maybe about equal to Hyatt OC.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:54 am

Programs: DL, UA
Thanks, Skyline....I just laughed myself silly. We are currently in the same hotel, with the same group of kids (Korean college crusade for christ, or some such thing) and experienced the same problem. Two calls to the front desk requesting security assistance to calm the group down (after midnight) were summarily ignored. Glad to know they are refunding you. We are going to attempt the same, and hope for at least a move to a card controlled floor. According to the kids here, they are 1500 in number and, understandably, the hotel doesn't want to lose the revenue from this group.

Originally Posted by skylane
Just in case anyone cares. The Hyatt Irvine called up Priceline who refunded me the night I didn't end up staying as well as the two nights I did stay. (I checked out after 2 nights rather than staying a third because I didn't think I would be able to get a good nights sleep).
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Has anyone checked out the restaurant with the new chef from Paris yet? Read a review that made it sound worth a short drive to Irvine...

You should like the HB Hyatt - very nice. I love the grounds of the Newporter, but keep changing rooms til you get one you like... The FS Newport is by far the best here. I like the Sutton Place as a far 2nd choice...
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:49 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hyatt Irvine fan here

I like the Hyatt in Irvine ^ Friendly staff,great beds,excellent food service(as hotels go) and a snazzy new dining room.
The GM there is a nice guy and a class act.
I too was there during a number of busy functions that did hurt some of the quality during my stay.
And the largest group staying there was far from the best behaved.
My one concern with this hotel is its overpriced business center that many hotels now offer for free. Shy of that I really like the property and would consider a return anytime in the area.
The Huntington Beach property is in a class all by itself.And a grand one at that.
It too needs a few complimentary computers in the Regency Club.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 8, 2005 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:59 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up Delivers the goods

Originally Posted by royster747
Any recent stays at the Hyatt Regency Irvine??? I understand they have renovated and are now AAA 4-star. Is there a Regency Club? Is it open on weekends?

Any recent info would be appreciated!
Excellent hotel IMO.......
However I don’t believe the entire hotel has been renovated.
The restaurant yes.
Like the Good beds & nice duvets. I actually prefer them to the Grand Bed
More like a Park Hyatt bed. Not to hard
The hotel has a polished business feel to it.
A management and team that care about Hyatt Gold Passport guests.
Not satisfied with some aspect of your stay? They will try to make you satisfied.
They keep a profile on you after your first stay and track your needs or any special requests should you have them.
The new dining room and bar is highly attractive and serves some of the better Seafood I have eaten on the West Coast.

Have met some of the nicest staff with can do attitudes especially while dining in house.
I’d like to move the property into Beverly Hills or surrounding areas
It is properties like these that make Hyatt proud.
Peter Rice General Manager runs a class act.
When the GP bonus points are offered I will sometimes go considerably out of my way to stay there.

This is the kind of food and beverage service that separated Hyatt from other hotel chains years ago.
It is great to see the true Hyatt Touch in action.........
The only property that can outdo them in the area is the stunning Huntington Beach Resort location.
Enjoy should you decide to stay.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by royster747
Any recent stays at the Hyatt Regency Irvine??? I understand they have renovated and are now AAA 4-star. Is there a Regency Club? Is it open on weekends?

Any recent info would be appreciated!
RC is open from Monday evening to Friday morning.

The only reason to stay here IMHO is the G2 bonus from Friday to Sunday.

The front desk is hit or miss. For some reason they never seem to be able to do the jackets in advance as they do most of the other Hyatt’s. Few times I have had to remind them about the breakfast vouchers. You will not get a suite upgrade unless you remind them about it.

The breakfast at the grill is actually quite nice using the Diamond vouchers. I think that the vouchers are supposedly good only for continental breakfast but I have never been charged for the buffet.

Once I was given the RC sheet on Friday evening from the front desk. I told the lady who checked me in that the RC is closed until Monday evening.

This Hyatt does not have T-Mobile but some other high speed available. When I spoke with the manager once about this it seems that they get greater kick back from this provider and thus are somewhat reluctant to move T-Mobile.

If you ask one of the rooms ending XX11 you will most likely get a "free" wireless from one of the open access points at the nearby buildings.

Overall I would rate this B.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

The parking is a hike (self park that is) but since I leave at 5:00 a.m. I don't pay for parking as I know that few of these places have the booth manned at this hour, if it is manned, I just pay cash, but most of the time its not.. so I usually have > 50% success rate in beating the parking charges.
I'll be here next Sunday night and plan to leave around 5am Monday. So how do I avoid paying the parking fee? Do you just tell them you don't have a car when checking in? And when the booth is manned, don't they ask for a room number or ticket or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.