Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: m0hamed
The "Ambassador Lounge" is permanently closed
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 9, 2001, 9:38 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

We will be staying Mar 02. Diamond. Any comments, experiences, suggestions?
Old Jul 11, 2001, 5:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
As far as I know it is a Park Hyatt, haven't stayed at this property however. I heard from a business partner that he liked staying there very much. Seems to be a good choice. Anyone else with any input?

Muerz
Old Jul 11, 2001, 7:57 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Outstanding, Art Deco motif. Staff can be variable. Well situated wrt the Art Gallery, High Court etc.

And CHEAP - particularly when comapred to most other Park hyatts. If the SF Park Hyatt was a 5 this would be a 8.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 6:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Hyatt Canberra?

Why is this the most expensive Hyatt save Sydney in Australia?

Any ideas how/where to get the price below $200plus/nt US for a Regency room?

Thanx
Old Oct 16, 2001, 11:09 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
As it is, by far, the best place in town. I don't know when you are going but if the parliament is in session it might get tight. It is a very nice hotel with a good RC. I just checked for next month and it was $180US for RC. Try calling the hotel directly and asking for specials. I got such a good deal in Adelaide I couldn't believe it (net US$47/night) in August. I was put up to that by another friendly post on this board! Try to make it over to the brand new Australian Museum -- very fine!
Old Jan 2, 2002, 5:34 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Hyatt Canberra (Australia) jan-30/31 2002

I am booked (on night: jan-30 to 31) at the Hyatt Canberra (Regency Club floor).

The (travel book) reviews claim that location and service/comfort are great.

Any experience?, any FlyerTalk wants to be my guest at the Regency Lounge for a night cap (I am arriving at CBR on We jan-30 16:35 and take the Airport bus: $9 return fare, leaving the airport at 5PM, if my flight is on time. Is the downtown bus station far away from the Hotel?) - or for breakfast on early Thursday jan-31 morning?
Old Jan 2, 2002, 10:44 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We have not been in the hotel but plan to be in March for a week. We have been to the area before. We were so impressed that we are going back. IF you decide to stay longer let me know and I will share what we think fills up a week there.

Also would be interested in your opinion of the Hyatt and the RC there.
Old Jan 2, 2002, 7:56 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I stayed for a couple of days in August. The room was good, not great. The RC was quite nice, a better selection than usual for breakfast. There used to a very good restaurant but they pulled out and now only a middling all day one. Make sure to check out the new Museum of Australia -- VERY GOOD.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 4:15 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
The style is Art Deco and is quite stylish. I used to stay there fairly frequently but had noticed the standards were slipping.
That said it is still in better condition than most capital city North American Hyatts, eg Park Hyatt SF , New York, Los Angeles.

It is located within walking distance from the Art Gallery, High Court and other attractions.

The Aussie dollar being what it is, you will get 5 star accomodation at 2 star prices.
The local restaurant scene is also very good, and it may be worthwhile hiring a car to check out the area.
Be warned it is also very hot , comapred to Europe especially (and even compared to Sydney sometimes.)
I am sure you will enjoy our capital city. The new Parliament house is also worth looking at, if only to see what the taxpayers money is spent on.!
Old Jan 12, 2002, 9:10 pm

Rudi,

The Airport shuttle from Canberra Airport to the city will not take you to the Hyatt - the closest it comes is 2.5 kilometers away.

The Shuttle goes from the airport to the commercial centre of town on the north side of Lake Burley Griffin.

Canberra is divided North/South by Lake Burley Griffin - the North side is basically commercial, while the South side is government. The Hyatt is near Parliament House on the South side.

The shuttle takes you to the north side of Lake Burley Griffin, and, if your hotel is on the north side (eg: Novotel/James Court/Saville/Crown Plaza) the driver will do a drop off to the door of your hotel if he's not too busy.

The Shuttle costs AUS$5 (US$2.50) each way and is great value if it's going where you want to go.

I am going away in a few days to spend some time at Uluru but should be back by the 30th and if so would be delighted to pick you up from the airport, though sadly I may not be able to join you for a night-cap.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 1:22 pm

Lat time I stayed there I was quite impressed with the spread of nibbles in the afternoon.Certainly enough for dinner!
I took a cab from the airport at around $12oz. I dont think it is worth taking the bus as it will cost you almost that to get the cab from the bus station.
I found the rooms quite coomfortable but not spectacular.
its a very nice hotel.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 7:27 pm

just left there after a five night stay. My advise is book somewhere else.

The entire hotel appears to be run down and room service took an hour and a half to get a hamburger to the room. It would have taken longer had I not gone to the duty manager and thrown a ****fit. Likewise the Oak Room (former signature restaurant) is gone leaving only the Promenade Cafe (buffet) as a place to eat.

Standards of cleanliness were appalling: our Regency Club room had food on the drapes and stains on the carpets. The enite newer portion of the hotel looks like it had water stains in the carpeting. The Regency Club ran hot and cold: some days/attendants better than others.

Dunno if your stay involves a weekend but hotel was (not surprisingly) overrun with kids due to school holidays. But noisy kids.
Weddings and a massive Friday afternoon happy hour/knees up filled the lobby with drunk revelers to the detriment of hotel guests.

The weakest Park Hyatt in the chain, bar none. Friends who live and work in Canberra were appalled - they'd been telling clients and friends to avoid it (as they had us) but I insisted, to my regret.

And did I tell you about the two full days of fire alarm testing? Noriega surrended with less noise. Called the desk to find out when it would end - they didn't know.

It was really terrible, particularly compared to the Park Hyatts in Melbourne and Sydney.

Old Feb 1, 2002, 6:17 pm
Original Member

I really enjoyed my short stay here. Fast/efficient check-in, nice/convenient Regency Lounge with better than average breakfast and 'evening happy hour'.

Very convenient in-room Ethernet-connection (worked even with my Apple/Mac-ibook). Absolutely no special set-up settings needed, just start the browser. Charged by the minute, but with a cap of Austrian$ 22/24 hours.

And I was treated like a VIP by personal Canberra-guide MukMuk the whole (rest of) afternoon and evening. He even showed me my first kangorooh (on his dinner-plate ...).

Thank you very much MukMujk - and just before departing I found MukMuk's voucher for a free Qantas-Lounge visit slipped under my room door, which I used that very same day at Canberra.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 9:31 am

Oh, it was the same hotel - reputed to be the only good one in Canberra. But having stayed in two other Park Hyatts in Australia
(Sydney and Melbourne) on the same trip and several in the States, I can honestly say it's not in the same league.

Part of the problem may have been a change of General Managers which had just happened, part of it because of the New Year's weekend (just ended - I arrived the 2nd) and subsequent Australian school holidays and part of it due to multiple functions taking place at the same time in the hotel - though none of these should affect a guest in a 5 star property if it is being run right. Simply put, it wasn't when I was there.

But I was there for five nights, and thus had the opportunity to experience more, good and bad, than a visitor with a shorter time frame.

I hope you enjoy your stay more than I did mine.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 10:06 am
Original Member

I (must) support Boston long-stay-view. I Only stayed one short night ( 18 hours minus sight-seeing, kanguruh chasing with mukmuk and dinner at a swiss compatriots Restaurant together with mukmuk).

I just judged the hotel infrastructure (including Tennis courts which are very improtant for me), check-in, check-out, Regency Lounge with breakfast and happy hour offers, and the/my wonderful room including the most sophisticated 'on the road' Internet connection I experienced so far).

I didn't visit any Restuarants (only the Lounge).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.