Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 2, 2000, 6:25 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Does anyone have any opinions on the McCormick Place Hyatt in Chicago? I have booked a weekend stay there for the end of the month. What should I expect?
Old Aug 12, 2000, 7:38 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
It is a pretty generic Hyatt. It is pleasant but nothing great. It is in the middle of "nowhere" if you are not attending a meeting at McCormick Place. When it opened two years ago I was VERY disappointed to check in and find that this new hotel did not have a Regency Club.
Old Aug 12, 2000, 11:11 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Isn't that the former McCormick Place Hotel? I can't recommend it based on isolated location. It would be better to be in the Loop area. I bet the rates are lower the anything else nearby.
Old Aug 13, 2000, 12:01 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Trd and Roadrunner,
Thanks for the comments. When I booked this hotel a few months ago it was indeed the cheapest of the 3 in the downtown area. Last night when I checked again the Printers Row location had been reduced to the same price as McCormick Place. This morning when I was going to change over to the Printers Row the price there fell $30 so I'm very happy about that. $119 for a Chicago hotel in August sounds great.
Old Aug 14, 2000, 8:56 pm
trd

to roadrunner -- it is a brand new hotel about one block west of old McCormick Place Hotel -- that was torn down for expansion of McCormick Place itself.
Old Aug 25, 2000, 10:47 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
trd, thanks for the clarification on the old McCormick place. Sort of glad to see it go.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 11:56 pm

Hyatt McCormick Chicago

Could anyone tell me of their experience at this hotel? I'm about to sink 8 nights into them but was not too pleased with their response to room upgrades for a Diamond member ("Since you booked eight nights, you will not be upgraded because we only upgrade for four nights and we don't want to trouble you with moving rooms") As a result I am seriously considering booking just 4 nights there (as I really would like a suite for business purposes) and shuffle off to some other hotel for the remainder. Any advice on upgrades, service, and room conditions would greatly be apppreciated - I did do a prior search and came up with no threads. Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 22, 2001, 7:57 pm
trd

it's decent, but no better than that hotel. NO RC! It's only good if you are at a convention at McCormick Place -- otherwise it is a couple of miles from anywhere.
Old Nov 22, 2001, 9:33 pm

Programs: CO plat, HH gold, Marriott silver
The rooms are nice, especially if you get a high floor. Make sure you request a room with a downtown view, or else you risk overlooking miles and miles of Chicago's south side. And yes, it is MILES from anywhere other than McCormick Place. Tough access off of the freeway, and more than a couple minute cab ride to anywhere worth being in the city.

If your budget will allow, go for their new property at the Water Tower. I'm guessing it'll be their benchmark for years to come. (At least until San Diego finishes their expansion.)

Other Chicago suggestions: Portillo's for an authentic Chicago dog; Giordano's for the BEST deep dish pizza; and Vivere at Italian Village for a wonderful dinner amid startlingly hip decor.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
How is the Hyatt McCormick Chicago

I booked in at the Hyatt McCormick Chicago, and from searching these threads, people feel

Pros ^
Is up to the Hyatt standards, clean rooms good service

Cons ^_
Too far from downtown
No regency club

I was thinking about taking the subway to the hotel and getting off the Orange line at Chinatown/Cermac and walking the 7 blocks to the hotel. Is the neighbourhood safe enough at 11:00 PM to do this?

Since they do not have a regency club, do they offer evening and breakfast coupons for diamonds? Is the ammenity typical?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
This location works if you are attending some meeting at McCormick Place and will be spending most of your time there. McCormick Place and the Hotel are separated from the rest of downtown Chicago by a park, expressways, rail lines and greenways. If you want to be in Chicago, this is NOT the place. You're on your own at night.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Can you not walk from the Hotel to the Orange subway Chinatown/Cermac station?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Stayed there 6 weeks ago and was upgraded to a nice suite overlooking everything you have to see in Chicago.The neighorhood is the massive Convention Center area to the south and older storehouses areas to the north, which seem to be in the middle of a major overhaul into apartment complexes etc.
Really don`t know, if I would walk to the property so late, but I can only judge from one short stay there...

Parking is nasty, it was more than $ 25

Hotel was deserted, so I was one of two guests at breakfast, Diamond Coupon was for the cont. breakfast ( not on the menu, but the waiter will bring you fruit, tea/coffee and some bakery items ) or $ 6 off the menu, had a mexican dish, which was great.

My rate was around $ 90 for a weekday ( hyatt.com rate ), which I consider pretty good for a weekday in Chicago.

Don`t know, if the Regency Club at the Regency DT is now open again, but I was upgraded to a suite at both properties and while the Regency is certainly more central, the McCormick Regency is newer and more private, if you can say that for a 800 room property...
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
Can you not walk from the Hotel to the Orange subway Chinatown/Cermac station?
I wouldn't advise walking around there. Your best bet would be to take a cab.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:07 pm

Their is no way I'd take that walk. They've done a lot to upgrade that area but a walk from that L to the hotel would not be one I'd make at 11pm. A cab should be a reasonable fare. The bus also stops almost in front of the hotel and that would be fine--at that hour it doesn't run as often as earlier in the day though
Good Luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.