Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 16, 1999, 2:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

Still a great place to stay. They have moved their Regency Club inside and discontinued any hot dishes at breakfast (actually the latter happened a few years ago). The staff on Club is FANTASTIC. Mrs Spenser is a highly competent employee, as is Cristina (close). Several others deserve mention, but I failed to get their names. All of the male staff did well, although some seem still in training.

I was disappointed in the "new" policy of concierge sending you off to the activity desk to get data on tours. The former often commented and suggested, the latter seemed bent on selling, which is their job.

The valet service was quite dependable and responsive, although sometime a bit too occupied.

The food (breakfast and evening pupus) were always well presented and, when something to my liking, was prepared well and quite tasty. Drink service was done well.

A few area of the hotel are tiring. The elevators each had their own personality. One announced two floors as Regency, while another only one. The third was mute. Ice on the our floor was not available 2 of the 5 times I went for some.

The pool area is fantastic. Food service at the pool was great. Some of the chairs need some servicing though.

The lobby and common areas are well maintained and are a credit to the staff, given the constant wind trying to mess things up.

I highly recommend this hotel when in Maui, if it fits your style and price.
Old Dec 20, 1999, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
As do I. In particular, make reservations at Swan Court for either sunset or late evening. Make sure you get a table by the water. The two times I've been there my wife and I have had the best and most enjoyable meals of all of our travels.
Old Nov 2, 2001, 7:49 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
HYATT REGENCY MAUI - REGENCY CLUB REVIEW

Help - I am a Diamond checking into Hyatt Regency Maui tomorrow (yahoo!). My question is - as a Diamond will they upgrade me to R. Club level?

If they do not, and am technically entitled access to the lounge at least? I called the Diamond Desk last night, and the man there did not seem to know.

Thanks - all comments are welcome.
Old Nov 2, 2001, 8:37 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB

I have stayed at this property more times than i can count,and getting anything automatic there will be a challenge,they use a rooms control system at checking in,I think it will depend on the occupancy level.the hotel has only 2 floors of regency club rooms.I have stayed on another floor and had regency club access.try for the corner rooms there larger..have a great trip
Old Nov 2, 2001, 12:46 pm

The RC is in the corridor instead of a separate room. It's very nice, especially by mainland RC standards. Free drinks, quality afternoon munchies, and plenty of Maui potato chips.

I agree the corner rooms are larger with a better view.

My only criticism was their somewhat unwholesome indoor jacuzi.

I don't know why anyone would mention the Honolulu W in the same breathe as the Hyatt. I've never stayed there, but it's not even on the beach. It's more a business persons hotel, not an elaborate resort.

[This message has been edited by VicOsaki (edited 11-02-2001).]
Old May 15, 2002, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Boulder -- I'm very sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. The Kauai Hyatt is an awesome Hyatt and the Waikiki Hyatt is a dated facility, but the service is very good. I didn't, however, like the Maui Hyatt at all.

I booked two rooms using RC Club awards -- they gave me two rooms at either end of the hallway--as a Diamond neither was oceanview and one was a handicapped room. The front desk staff were very unhelpful at rectifying the situation, they just didn't care... I finally got them to give me two partial oceanview rooms (still at opposite ends of the floor)--they were fine. I'd bet the full oceanview ones would be quite nice.

Do look for Sandi Panzo because she is great, but she was the only nice one at the RC Club--the others all acted like they were doing me a favor. The main concierge desk was just plain goofy.

And the weirdest thing was the Italian restaurant which is only open every OTHER night-- we went down there one night and there was no sign or anything and it was TOTALLY DESERTED -- like the SHINING. Though I heard from a couple I met at the hotel that the food was quite good.

I also don't really care for its location on the very crowded stretch of Kaanapali. As an alternative, I'd definitely recommend the Kapalua Bay Hotel (Starwood).

Sorry to complain as I know many like this hotel a lot, but I was very irritated that I used 36K points per night at this hotel.

On the plus side, I did the hotel's whale watch trip which was very well-run. And when I brought many of these issues to the attention of the hotel management, they really did listen and gave me some freebies to get me to come back -- not sure though.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 05-15-2002).]
Old May 17, 2002, 6:00 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I am not a participant in the Hyatt frequent stay program, but have stayed at this hotel. The rooms are lovely but the grounds are magnificent. The italian restaurant mentioned above was wonderful. True, it is a very quiet restaurant but the food was great and the prices reasonable. But the real treat is the Swan Court Restaurant. There are rare exotic birds strolling the grounds, Japanese gardens, just beautiful. And...while it was not whale watching season when we were there, they still run the boat for a 90 minute trip with music from the 50's and 60's with unlimited drinks, snacks, and just plain fun.
Old May 18, 2002, 7:29 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I too like this hotel quite a lot - although at one time the Regency Club was much better even though it was in the hall. There was a full cooked-to-order breakfast every morning and a very elaborate spread of appetizers in the evening. They've toned all that down a lot. I have also received complimentary upgrades each time we've stayed. We've stayed there several times and our upgrades seemed to be based on the quantity of stays at that property as we are straight gold card holders with Hyatt.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 12:00 pm

I can't imagine this stay being any better than it was. Upon check-in I was told I had been upgraded to a Regency Club level (private key), 22nd (top) floor, ocean view room. Desk agent said this was normally $630 ( I am a Hyatt Diamond). I was asked to provide a copy of my Priceline receipt ($65/nite) and was told it looked like I made quite a deal! I was going to try and use a suite upgrade coupon (even though it was not valid at resorts), but I was reluctant after all this. Just a note, prior to my stay I called the hotel directly to request the Regency Club floor and a second time to confirm. The staff at the Regency Club and throughout the hotel could not have been more accommodating and made sure I received my amenity gift and anything else I needed.
The Children's pool was still under construction, but, in my opinion, it was hardly a distraction. The remaining
pool area is so large that it was more than enough for the guests. The waterfall and swim-up grotto bar were open and operating.
We took a day trip to Kauai to see the Grand Slam of Golf (Tiger Woods, et al) and visited the Hyatt Regency Kauai. What a beautiful property! It was the first time I had seen it, but I feel Maui has a little more activity. It's all a question of preferences. By the way, I used a 5,000 mile UA award on Aloha Airlines for the airfare to Kauai, which I feel is a good value.
Previous posts about this hotel have detailed the various amenities, so I won't repeat. There is a production of
Tony n' Tina's Wedding currently showing, but I did not attend. (info on link below)
In closing, this stay was terrific in every way, and I plan on staying at the Hyatt Regency Maui again next year.
I can only hope for this kind of deal!!!

Hotel Website: http://maui.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml
Old Mar 12, 2003, 1:43 am

Hyatt Maui question

I'm considering the Terrace room and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of view it will have. The website doesn't have any info, in fact they include a statement saying the picture provided does not correspond to the Terrace room!

As a non-status GP member, would they upgrade to a better view (Mountain, Partial Ocean, etc) if available at check-in?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 5:13 am

I'm pretty sure that a terrace room means that you will in fact have a small terrace as opposed to a balcony-therefore you would have to be on the ground floor. The hotel has three separate buildings, but the middle one (where you check in) is an open atrium with no terrrace rooms. Walking to the the left(where most of the shops are) you end up being on the second floor-so again I' don't htink there are terrace rooms there either.

But to the right(towards the marriot) the building is designed so that the ground level floor does have rooms and I assume these would be the designated terrace rooms. The view could range-the ones that face in will look towards the rope bridge or the small wedding gazebo while the ones on the other side face a parking lot. If you like ground level accomodations-the ones facing the garden aren't so bad (in fact you have direct acces to your room (if the sliding door is open) but I is really personal preference.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 3:00 pm

I personally like to be in the main atrium tower as high up as possible and of course overlooking the Pacific. The top two floors of this central building are the designated regency club floors while the actual regency club is located on the top floor (22nd I think)
Old Mar 26, 2003, 7:52 pm

A few more notes about the Hyatt Regency Maui

The Hyatt Regency Maui has been covered well on here. I just wanted to post my recent experiences and a few tips I picked up with this world-class resort.

Check-in:

From the moment we arrived we were treated extremely well. Even though I was on a priceline stay the upgrade to the Regency Club was already there and did not need to ask for it. The Diamond Amenity card was offered and the Diamond Amenity was delievered in a quick manner. I had a Coupon to a Suite/Regency Club (Expiration 3-03) that I was looking for to upgrade to a Suite. The agent checked it and said no Suites were available. Not a problem at all. The next day I was able to give that Upgrade Cert. to a family of 4 that I saw arriving. They were upgraded to a Regency Club. It felt good to give it away to someone who truly appreciated it and was able to make use of it and save money because of it.

Rooms. EXCELLENT!!! If you have a family and want two double beds request room 2206 (that was the room we were in). It is DIRECTLY next to the Regency Club and the view from that room is the same as one would find in the Club. The RC Club rooms go for about $570.00 a night and one could see why. I believe the rooms have Upgraded Bathroom amenities that one would find at the resort's 'Spa Mona'. Walk in Closets with plenty of storage space, sligtly larger rooms and Awesome beds make it a place I want to stay forever. Also there was a nightly turndown service with chocolates.

Regency Club - Not ONE complaint. The staff of the RC truly enjoy their jobs and want to make their RC a 'showplace'. Between 6:30-10 AM they have a Continental Breakfast with plenty of bagels, fresh fruits, pastries, and other goodies. I have a HUGE appetite and it was quite filling to me. The staff MAKES you take more and take some back to the room with you. Between 11-5 they have cookies out with soft drinks and waters that one can also take back to the room. Between 5-7 they have an unbelievable reception. Plenty of food, drinks, crackers, cheeses, and almost what ever you want at that time they have. One could eat there around 5 and be full and get another light snack at a sushi place or 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' around 8 or 9 and be stuffed. People we met there just ate the reception on a few nights as their dinner.

Resort property itself - Great location, pool, and once again location. The pool is quite refreshing. I love swimming in the Ocean but just stayed in the pool due to the rocky Ocean Beach. Had a great massage at 'Spa Mona' and worked out at the Fitness Club a few times. GREAT NEWS AS WELL. As a Diamond you DON'T have to pay the Resort Fee. As a Diamond included is access to the Work Out Facility, In-Room Safe, Local Calls, and A few other things I forget. Check at the hotel if you go for the specifics. Anyway Spa Mona was great. Also took Scuba Lessons and a Dive from the place at the resort. The instructor was patient and helpful. Aloha Services was excellent as well.

Staff - EXCELLENT. Not one complaint. All very helpful and they all seem to truly love their jobs. Sandy P. one of the Conceirge's is UNBEILEVABLE. Very helpful and one of the best out there.

A few tips.

Eat at Roy's Restaurant.

As a Diamond as soon as you know you have a reservation at the resort, call the resort and have them put it on your record that you would like to request an upgrade to the Regency Club. Do this on ANY rate you have.

Once again. If you have a family and want two double beds request room 2206 (that was the room we were in). It is DIRECTLY next to the Regency Club and the view from that room is the same as one would find in the Club. I was a little curious and on the housekeepers manifest I was reading the comments. I saw written next to room 2213 EXTREMLY VIP GUESTS so you might want to try to get that room as well but not sure if it one or two beds.

The Hyatt Regency is a Resort that I WANT to go back to and will jump through hoops to go back to. I am hoping that I will be able to go back to Maui in May. Even though I work on a VERY limited part-time basis at Marriott and get the stay benefits at the Maui Marriott. I will probably pay the 3x the rate to stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui when I go back, just to experience that Resort and the Diamond Services and Expereince at that Resort again. Any Questions don't hesitate to Email Me.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:39 pm

We stayed at this hotel about 10 days ago. The kids loved the pool. My only complaint was for the first 2 days, Regencey Club was full - and they wouldn't grant access - provided continental breakfast vouchers - for the last 2 days, we were given access to the club

------------------
United 1k &MM, American Plat &1MM, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond & Mar Gold
Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Kauai or Maui for Family Vacation

I need a little advice from those who have been to these resorts. I've booked two award rooms for our family of five to the Kauai Hyatt next Spring. My reason for selecting this property over Maui was largely due to the favorable reviews from this board. It sounds like Maui is a decent option, as well, so I thought I'd throw it out to those of you who have been.

Our particulars: three girls who will be 10, 8 and 3. It will be the older girls' 3rd trip to Hawaii, but we've only been to Oahu and the Big Island. They're fairly typical, as they like kid's camps, any kind of water activity and have become a little too accustomed to executive lounges (spoiled, yes - unruly, no).

Also, I just found out that the Kauai Hyatt does have a suite available (23,000 points instead of 30,000; and a $200 deposit instead of a $400 deposit), but it only has a king bed in the bedroom and our children will need roll aways. 1,200 sf with a patio and ocean view sounds pretty tempting, though.

Also, what about rental cars? If we're only there 4 nights, should we still get a car to drive around?

Thanks, in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.