Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

GH Kauai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 1999-mid-2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 1999, 3:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I am planning on staying at the Hyatt on Kauai for 4 nights in Nov99. Anyone know of any special deals or discounts for this hotel?
Old Jan 21, 1999, 4:13 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Sorry I missed this thread earlier.

A beautiful property. Go to Tidepools for dinner (ask for one of the "private" tables) and absolutely demand Les for your waiter -- he's been there 8 years and is superb.

We were there last November for our honeymoon so if you need any other info please ask!
Old Nov 11, 1999, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I don't know of any deals, but you'll love this property. There is an inside lounge that is wonderful...Someone's Library or something like that. Also, Tidal Pools restaraunt is wonderful. Make sure you get a table with a window and ocean view.

Enjoy and have a Mai Tai for those of us that are stuck on the mainland!
Old Nov 13, 1999, 1:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
vgrove - are you Hyatt Diamond ? If so you should get an upgrade to Regency Club where the staff are superb. The concierge staff will advise you of the newest places to eat and where the locals are going. There's also a great place near Spouting Horn that has been washed away by the tides. It's right on the beach and the fresh fish is superb.

If you want to eat out, I've enjoyed the restaurant overlooking Bali Hi near Princeville at the other end of the island.

Donderos - on property - is superb. If they're still going the Porcini Crepes as a starter have them.

I shall miss your time there as I'm off on my N-after-N award on Thursday of next week.

[This message has been edited by Markie (edited 11-13-1999).]
Old Feb 21, 2001, 11:16 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Food poisoning at Hyatt Regency Kauai

My wife, son and I just returned home from a mostly wonderful Hawaiian vacation. We started our trip at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and flew over to Lihue for a four night stay at the Hyatt Regency Kauai.

I should mention that this is an incredibly beautiful resort with the most amazing swimming pools/rivers/lagoons ever imaginable. The Anara Spa is exceptional and I received one of the best massages in my life. Dondero's Restaurant will serve you a meal you will never forget. The staff is attentive in every way possible and proved its worth after we attended a luau on Sunday evening. The flashy show performers were professional, the music outstanding and the quality of the luau buffet was authentic and tasty. Fortunately for my 3 year old son, he was not in the mood to eat that evening and munched on a dinner roll. My wife and I sampled many dishes and had a great time. About four hours later is when it hit us. Sparing all of you the details, you know what happens with food poisoning. Lots of visits to the potty for sitting and praying. Hey, we are world travellers and know what a touch of nausea or Montezuma's Revenge is all about but the was pretty darn severe. By morning, after no sleep, we were exhausted. I called the manager and we had an extensive discussion about the timeline, elimination of other meal probabilities and the fact that the food is not served by staff but by communal serving utensils. He promptly removed the luau charge from my billing summary and offer me a generous credit for the Anara Spa. In addition, the Food & Bev Manager called and was geniunely concerned. A tray of herbal tea selections was sent to our room as well as a full ice cooler of a dozen bottles of water and a basket of various medications (Pepto-Bismol, Imodium, Alka-Seltzer, etc.) This happened on our last night at the resort so we maintained a stiff upper lip and headed home in rough shape. No mention of any other illnesses of other guest but I think they would keep that confidential to avoid publicity. However, as we were heading out to the lobby, we passed another doorway that reeked of similar unpleasant odors that were unfortunately very familiar to us by that time. As of today, both of us still feel like crap. I will say the staff was genuinely sympathetic and caring and I would not hesitate to visit this property again in the future....I will pass on the luau next time.

Oh by the way, since we were heading home and had no time or desire for spa treatments in our condition, my wife used the spa credit for a truckload of la-dee-da bath salts, lotions, shampoos, etc.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop
Old Sep 8, 2001, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I concur that this is one of the best Hyatts. However, some other Flyertalkers have mentioned that they do NOT grant Regency Club access for award stays, and my experience confirmed it. I don't know if SUITE awards are treated differently.
Old Sep 10, 2001, 8:55 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
one of my favorite hyatts,this property is excellent.The hotel has different size suites
I have stayed in them all.the hotel has two wings,shipwreck which is not as quiet as the
poipu wing,and this is closer to the regency club.the corner suites are the best and the cat.is ocean deluxe.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 6:50 pm

Kauai - Passport Award

Has anyone used one of these? With the cost of meals, daily breakfast and three of five night's dinners sound appealing.

Don't know what restrictions are placed on the dinners.

Any experience?? Also with this, I would be inclined to take a suite upgrade and skip the club level. Thoughts??? Thanks!!
Old Oct 29, 2001, 10:36 pm

I don't know if this will help you or not ...

There really is no separate club level at Kauai. You just get access to what others have described as a very fine Regency Club room, which is not often comped to Diamonds here. If the food and beverage access from the RC room is important to you (and I think that can save you a lot of money), then I would do it, otherwise ...

Of course, if you elect to have breakfast included, you won't necessarily need the breakfast feature in the RC room.

-David

Old Jan 12, 2002, 4:10 pm

The Hyatt is the best hotel on Kauai. Having said that there might be a little too much activity at the Hyatt. There are a large number of children and there is no separation between adults and kids. If that's ok on your honeymoon, the Hyatt is great.

If you want quite, there are many more hotels to chose from on Maui. The best hotel by far is the Four Seasons. It's more expensive, but it's your honeymoon. The Four Seasons will live in your memory forever.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 6:31 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
have stayed there many times just returned this week.
this is the property on Kauai to stay at use points and book a suite.Victor at the desk can get you a great room or upgrade if you are unhappy with what they assign you.
George the doorman can take care of anything else you need.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audia4boy:
Looking for information on this hotel...going there in October on my honeymoon and I want to get the best room and best rates, any suggetions? Coupons? Have any stayed there?
thanks!
</font>
Old Jan 22, 2002, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hyatt Kauai--Just came back

My longstanding belief in what Hyatt properties and service should be has been redeemed and refreshed by this property. As a Diamond, I have struggled with many Hyatt properties that promote like at Ritz, and serve like Motel 6.

This property is EVERYTHING advertised and more.

First example: On driving up to the property, the valet greeted us with, "Your vacation has already started, so you needn't worry about your luggage...we'll handle everyting". That's such a nicer thing to hear than, "need help with your bags?".

I am a Diamond and was staying on a five-night suite stay. Despite the free stay, I was given the Diamond amenity. Additionally, long before ever ordering my amenity, I received a "welcome" fruit basket from the manager.

I had called in advance and arranged for RC access. It was 3000 points per person, and must be done with the front office in advance of the stay, not through GP customer service. It's well worth it if you like to work out or use spa facilities, as Spa access was free for RC guests.

The stay itself? The suite was a stunning king-bed suite, HUGE, with a nice ocean view. All suites have ocean views; some on higher floors than others. Housekeeping was the best of any Hyatt I've stayed in, with impeccable attention to detail. They operated with amazing stealth, never disturbing us, and seeming to time their visits with our ever-changing daily schedule.

Restaurants were fabulous. A little something for everyone. Not to be missed is the "Poipu Bay Golf Club" restaurant, off the beaten path of the resort and missed by many. Stunning golf course and mountain views on one side through huge picture windows, and water views on the other.

Staff? An A+! Not once did I ever hear a staff member say the word "HUH?" in response to a question, or "MMM-HMM" replacing yes, or "NEXT!" when calling the next guest in line. Service was not only GREAT, but it was also REFINED. These people are well-trained in maintaining a level of service that Hyatt wants for all of its properties, but which many never seem to achieve. What I felt from staff is that they weren't satisfied until they had answered every question and need and that I was happy.

There were adjustments to restaurant schedules because of slow business, but not enough to inconvenience anyone for breakfast or dinner. Lunch is on the downside. I don't recommend the very overpriced outdoor self-service restaurant, "The Dock". Much too expensive for what is offered....but really the only lunch place on site, and conveniently located next to the pool.

If the concierge service here can't get you something, it can't be gotten on Kauai. On a scale of 1 to 10, they are a TEN; from restaurants to any kind of activity you can imagine, and even to finding the secluded beaches.

I can't say enough about this property, and I can't wait to return.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 10:40 am
Original Member

Programs: United 1k
I guess a suite award is sweet...as a revenue customer this place just seemed like another overpriced resort. They told me they were giving me a "great room" which turned out to be above a noisy bar and the exhaust fan for Tidepools restaurant. They wouldn't consider an RC upgrade using points because I was on a discounted rate ($275 for Deluxe Oceanview) and I don't have any Hyatt status. Asked in advance thru both Hyatt corporate rez and hotel rez office and they told me it wasn't available on discounted rate but ask at check in anyway. Check in clerk said "they shouldn't have told you that" implying I had a snowball's chace in Poipu of getting anything extra with such a discounted rate. Didn't particularly feel good about $6/day self parking charge either. It's not like they're in Waikiki where they had to build a garage. Just another nickel-and-dime add-on charge.

If you need internet access there, there is a place in Old Koloa town nearby, also a place I used on the highway in Hanapepe called Atomic Clock Cafe, which is really mostly a guy selling orchids but he will also sell you coffee! Forget Hyatt business center at $30/hour.

Enjoyed Keoki's Paradise restaurant in nearby Poipu shopping village next to Roy's.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 7:38 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
The Poipu Golf Course is NOT to be missed!!! We played a round on our honeymoon. BUT more importantly, we ate their quite a few times for lunch. Great lunch and SUPER cheap! $5 for a Fish Sandwich! Less for chicken, burger, or hot dog!
Old Jul 16, 2002, 7:42 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Definitely agree on Keoki's. Ask the Concierge for free dessert coupon for the Hula Pie! YUMMY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.