Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cleveland at the Arcade REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 1999, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Landmark Building to be Converted Into 294-Room Hotel

CHICAGO (BUSINESS WIRE) - Chicago-based Hyatt Hotels Corporation and LR Development Company announced plans today to redevelop the historic 109 year-old Arcade in downtown Cleveland into a 294-room Hyatt hotel with 55,000 square feet of retail space.
Located in Cleveland's historic Gateway Neighborhood district, in the heart of downtown, the Arcade, originally built in 1890 by J.D. Rockerfeller, consists of two office towers on Superior Street and Euclid Avenue joined by a five-story retail arcade covered by an impressive iron and glass skylight.

The project, which is being developed by Chicago-based LR Development, marks Hyatt's first property in Cleveland. The Arcade will officially close on October 31, 1999 and will undergo a $60 million renovation.

When completed in the spring of 2001, a Hyatt hotel will occupy the two office towers and the upper three floors of the Arcade. The hotel lobby will be located at the top of the grand staircase in the Superior Street tower and will open onto the Arcade.

The 294-rooms include five junior suites, four hospitality suites and a deluxe suite. The meeting space will be plentiful with two banquet rooms, two meeting rooms and four boardrooms totaling almost 12,000 square feet of meeting space. The hotel will also include a 150-seat restaurant, a lobby lounge and health club.

The first two floors of the Arcade will be comprised of retail space consisting of restaurants, a food court, boutiques and shops to serve hotel guests, tourists and downtown Cleveland.
------------------
Old May 4, 2001, 7:20 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hyatt has opened a "new" hotel in Cleveland

Hyatt has opened a hotel in Cleveland. The 293-room Hyatt Regency is located in the Old Cleveland Arcade, a 111-year-old downtown landmark that has been restored after decades of decay.
www.hyatt.com
Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thumbs up

Stayed for the first time last night at this hotel. The lobby area is very small but the front desk clerk was very nice. I requested a non smoking room with HSIA. The first room I was given (405) was an odd shaped room with 2 double beds on the arcade. You could not see the TV from either the bed or the desk. It was nice and large but seemed poorly laid out. I called down and requested another room and was accomodated with a standard room on the 5th floor (511). This room also had 2 double beds but seemed better laid out.

The arcade seemed deserted and none of the shops were open in the evening. The fitness was well appointed with lots of nice new equipment. Room Service was quick but the pork sandwich seemed dry to my taste. There is no in room mini bar, but a vending machine sold bottled water for $1 a bottle which seemed like a bargain to me.

Overall I really liked this hotel and would make it my hotel of choice in the downtown Cleveland area.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Wanna Stay Here?

Sounds like a great place!

I have a stay at this property that I will not be able to use - value $85.20 (Hyatt.com weekend rate). If anybody is interested please send PM, maybe a trade for a stay at an alternate property.

Sorry, I know this belongs in Coupon Connections; but, you must admit this is a great thread to mention it in as well
Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:18 pm

I stayed there on a Sunday night in October 2002, following a Saturday night stay at the HR Rochester, NY. On business, I flew up two days early for a mattress run and went to a Bills/Raiders game in Buffalo (Orchard Park) at noon, then drove to CLE for a Sunday night game with the Baltimore Ravens.

That was the first year I reached even PLA status, and the CLE visit was my 6th. I was upgraded to a RC room on a FFN reservation. The room was clean, large, but oddly shaped as you say. There were two TVs in my room (one in the sitting area, one in the bedroom). Parking was my incedental charge, so it led to an additional FFN, so it was gravy. The staff was more than cordial.

I was planning to go to a conference the next year and would have chosen the Hyatt CLE over the preferred conference room block because of the service and larger rooms. The PLA Extras would have not hurt either!

I did not use the fitness center, but for someone who works in the fitness/wellness industry, $1 for water is a bargain (until you know how little we pay per case !)

Last edited by dfwabel; Jun 9, 2004 at 9:21 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by prncess674
The arcade seemed deserted and none of the shops were open in the evening.

That was the very reason why my wife did not like the property. She felt a general unease about the arcade being deserted and the rooms all front onto the arcade area.

Chacun a son gout.

She much prefers the Renaissance Cleveland to any other property in the area. Moreover, the Renaissance Cleveland is in a better location and it houses a truly fine restaurant (French, I believe) that has won numerous awards.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Just stayed there last Saturday (my 1st Hyatt stay ever and since comping over to Diamond) on a Priceline rate of $26. Diamond status was acknowledged and I was given a junior suite on the 4th level. Diamond amenity of wine and cookies were delivered when requested and were quite tasty. The room overall was nice, very much like an Embassy Suites type layout, and functional. I was impressed with the bathroom amenities. Though I must say that if I'm going to stick with Hyatt, I'm really, really going to miss Westin's Heavenly Bed and Sheraton's Sweet Sleeper. Those beds go a long way toward improving the overall impression of a stay. Perhaps Hyatt will catch on soon.

Having grown up in Cleveland, I thought they did a great job of restoring the Arcade. It really is a shame that it is not busier, though I would guess there is a good crowd on weekdays. The location is central and walking distance to all downtown attractions, with the exception of Playhouse Square and the Flats (I'd take a cab to those).
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by KathyMoore
Before I go on about my story, I have one quick question:
Do I get Hyatt points when the room was paid for via
Priceline.com?

-----

I haven't tried priceline.com before so I gave it a try for
an upcoming 2-day weekend trip to Cleveland. (Friday
and Saturday night in mid-Feb)

My first offer of $36 for a 3 or 4-star hotel in downtown
Cleveland was accepted almost immediately!!! It was
the Hyatt Regency Cleveland Arcade.

Unfortunately, I went to that hotel's website and found out
parking is $21 per night. (more than half of what I'm
paying for the room per night)

Yes, I do realize priceline.com has a small fine print that
warns me about parking and other extra charges at hotels..
I guess I shouldn't be too upset, since $57 ($36 + $21)
is still a pretty decent price for staying at the Hyatt.
(or so I hope...)

Has anyone been to this property? If so, I'd appreciate any
comments/reviews/advice....

THANKS!!!
No Gold Passport points for priceline stays on the room rate, but you might be able to get the "G3" 1000 point bonus and if you pay for incidentals with a mastercard you can get 1/2 a FFN credit. Valet parking doesn't qualify.

I stayed there for about 9 weeks, sunday-friday. I only stayed there for the points and FFNs since it was a 22 mile drive every morning to the client site. Those 9 weeks will pay for my trip to the Park Hyatt Tokyo in March though.

You can park on the street on the weekends, or there is a self-parking lot less than a block away. No in-out with the self parking though, since it's not owned by the hotel. The self-parking lot is around $15 overnight.

The hotel is in a historic building that was rennovated in 2001 at a cost of about $30 million.

http://www.mbcmarous.com/Completed%2...ls/Arcade.html

http://www.lrrealty.com/LandmarkProp...UTheArcade.htm

All the rooms I've seen there in the Arcade are large, but have no views. One side faces the interior, while the other usually face other buildings next door. The rooms in the tower sections are usually very small, but face the street. One time they assigned me the Penthouse suite, which was very large. It had it's own stairway and took up the entire 9th floor.

Last edited by Tummy; Jan 25, 2005 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
The Gxxxx bonus is usually with regular stays, not pricelines stays.

The Cleveland Arcade is a fairly decent property with wireless internet access in the lobby (free when I was last there in April). It is a renovated historical building and is on historical registar. The rooms vary a lot since many rooms are different sizes.. Parking can be gotten for free on the weekends on 6th street or across in front of the library.

Have not stayed in the Penthouse suite but got upgraded to the Presidential Suite a couple of years ago and it had a lobby with powder room, very very long living room / lounge, dining room, kitchen, king bedroom and bathroom with both a jacuzzi bath and shower with the spa type shower head ^ Nice to be drinking cava while taking a whirlpool bath
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:38 am

After staying at the Cleveland Hyatt during the week for about 9 months now, I finally decided to stay over the weekend to see Cedar Point and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The weather this weekend was unfortunate so we didn't get to go on many rides at Cedar Point.

The hotel gave us a nice upgrade to one of their "VIP" suites for the weekend but offered to extended me for the rest of the week instead of switching to my usual room type.

Hyatt Cleveland Arcade - VIP Suite Photos

Last edited by Tummy; Jul 18, 2005 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:20 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by Tummy
After staying at the Cleveland Hyatt during the week for about 9 months now, I finally decided to stay over the weekend to see Cedar Point and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The weather this weekend was unfortunate so we didn't get to go on many rides at Cedar Point.

The hotel gave us a nice upgrade to one of their "VIP" suites for the weekend but offered to extended me for the rest of the week instead of switching to my usual room type.

Hyatt Cleveland Arcade - VIP Suite Photos
Tummy,

Was it the presidential suite? I was in that one for 2 nights 2 years ago and it was rather nice
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Snoopyo
Tummy,

Was it the presidential suite? I was in that one for 2 nights 2 years ago and it was rather nice
Nope. It is one of their two VIP suites, about 300 square feet less.

According to the website, the Presidential Suite has a fireplace, kitchen, ~300 more square feet (1,400 sq ft total) and I think another bathroom or 1/2 bath.

I would say that everything in the suite is a step up from the usual rooms and in generally better condition. Probably since it gets much less use. I do very much like the down comforter vs the usual blankets, and the spacious bathrooms. It reminded us of the Park Hyatt Tokyo bathrooms, though not quite as nice.

It would have been nice if they could find some space for a standard work desk. All the usual rooms have them and they also have one in the Penthouse suite.

I wish they would post some photos on their main site. It might generate some more sales.

It feels strange to have this much space to myself since my BF went home last night. Our place in NJ is much smaller.

They generally upgrade Diamonds here to jr. suites facing the atrium and I think those are also very spacious. One of my coworkers had one last week and called it "Ginormous" in comparison to their usual rooms at the Residence Inn.

BTW... I'm here on our corp rate, not PL. I just found the latest thread about the hotel to add my comments instead of starting a new one.

Last edited by Tummy; Jul 18, 2005 at 7:48 pm
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:33 pm

Yes, the typical room I have is the the atrium ones with the alcove or sitting area.

the coffee machine, fridge, dining room and whirlpool bath were great and so was the feather duvet. The Presidential suite had a sitting room that is long and slightly narrow...
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
All hotels have jacked up parking charges, even those in LA suburbs where parking is free and plentiful. Can't say I really blame them. They probably can't make much of a profit on priceline rates so they have to make up the lost revenue somehow or they will go out of business.

Of course, since parking is usually an optional charge, the smart traveler will figure out a way to park less expensively in a nearby location. Those on expense accounts will probably not bother.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Anyone have any recent stays here? Im heading there shortly and wondered what the general thoughts are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.