Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Helsinki to Rovaniemi on train

Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum

I'd like to take night train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi in mid-July, but railway company's website doesn't work for me Anyone knows times and prices of these trains? We are two and would like to take sleeping car.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:07 pm

You can check the times at www.bahn.de.

Tickets go on sale 92 days before the date of travel, so you'll have to check nearer the time... or, to get a rough idea, check fares for a random date that's less than 92 days away.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:46 pm

Took it from Rovaniemi to Helsinki a few years ago with my family ... the most comfy overnight train I've ever taken (we were in a 3 berth sleeper). The meatballs and mashed potato in the restaurant car were also pleasantly edible compared with airline food!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
You can check times at bahn.de, although it won't sell tickets for this route - you'll have to go to www.vr.fi/en/index.html to buy tickets.

VR's website seems to be working for me, although I haven't gone as far as finalising a ticket purchase - and as Aviatrix has said, bookings only open 92 days in advance. (It seems VR's discounted fares are only available between 60-7 days in advance - although if you want to be sure of getting a sleeper on a specific day during the summer season, you may want to book it as soon as it comes on sale, rather than waiting in the hopes of a cheaper ticket and then finding it's all sold out).

Prices vary with demand, but it seems a ticket for a 2-berth sleeper, one-way is around 120 per person.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How long does it take? Do most people fly or take the train on this route? Is it worth visiting in May? Won't be there in the winter unfortunately. Would love to go into the Arctic Circle...is that easy from Rovaniemi? or even worth it in May?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.