Wiki Posts
Search

THE Hotel not to be missed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:21 am

Singita Boulders
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Domaine de la Baume, TourTour (east Provence) - went the second time this year, loved it as much as the first. Intimate, like staying in a friend's comfortable country home that embraces you. Good food, indoor and outdoor seating. We had a ground level suite that we loved.
I actually just tried to see this for an incoming trip to Provence and their web-site says (copy and paste) "For administrative reasons and pending the validation of the local urban zoning of Tourtour, the Domaine de la Baume is closed to individual guests and groups for the year 2016."
Old Mar 12, 2016, 4:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
I actually just tried to see this for an incoming trip to Provence and their web-site says (copy and paste) "For administrative reasons and pending the validation of the local urban zoning of Tourtour, the Domaine de la Baume is closed to individual guests and groups for the year 2016."
How very odd. While trying to find an online explanation, all I found is yet another glowing report. Given that the Sibuet family own a number of hotels in France, hopefully they will quickly resolve this challenge.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Amanusa ! .. one of the not to be missed Amans

Amanusa

Map| 7 Reviews | 43% Recommended

Amanusa

Kawasan Nusa Dua , Bali ID

Amanusa ! .. one of the not to be missed Amans (15 Photos)

Amanusa

Check In

Actually we were chatting so much at the bar with Michel B that we forgot to check in in the suite ;)

( We already had a chance meeting with Ian W who was popping by Kila earlier in the day or stay. )

At Aman , anything ( tasteful ) goes 

View from the bar  .  Note the waves & kite 

IMG_7844.JPG

IMG_7846.JPG

View from the Terrace

IMG_7790.JPG

Mt Agung from the pool !

IMG_7849.JPG

Amanusa - " Nusa " - is conveniently located .  Nearest to the airport amongst the Bali 3 & best for early flights including those to Wana or evening / late flights . No worries about getting to the airport early with the traffic jams these days .

But what I consider to be a rather strategic position is often given a bad rap .

Just because once Nusa Dua is mentioned as the address , people either " switch off " or roll their eyes  .. 

This  , however , has been to our advantage , along with others in the know what a superb location it is . This is not just for golfers who love that Nusa is right by a beautiful golf course , re seeded , etcetera not long ago .

As you can see , she is far from the madding crowd ;) , perched on a hill with splendid views of the surroundings . One can even watch the waves rolling in & crashing on the reefs , the kites really high in the sky ..

But if one decides to join the those down the hill & hang out by the sea , it is a fun throw back in time riding one of the Nusa " vintage " jeeps , wearing a hat might help ;)

We made it to the beach .. !! & ..

IMG_7835.JPG

Interesting development by the local authorities since our January stay , viewed from our beach bale , Nusa Beach Club 

Guess , some shade for the boardwalk if this second attempt at planting palms is successful ;)

IMG_7800.JPG

Room

Same pool suite for many years including August 2015

Sunrise August 2017

9_image1.jpeg

Pool suite at night , current stay  . Forgot to take photos before the poolside candles went off 

1_IMG_7860.JPG

We have been in so many of the pool suites here , possibly all of them but in recent years it has been the one at one of the higher spots .

Did not take any photos of room yet but may post from previous stays . If not look at other TRs or even the website as all interiors are similar .

Here is the only one ..

View from room towards the pool bale 

IMG_7882.JPG

Service

Some of the staff here have been at Nusa for a long time and this helps in keeping up standards - Aman style . With so many newer hotels nearby , retaining staff has been an issue more recently . You can differentiate the newer ones who are generally younger ..

Dining

The meals here are a joy !

Arguably with the best variety amongst Indon Amans .. With chefs along with a F & B team and management who are open to explore fresh ideas :)

Perhaps benefitting from having previous GMs and such with F & B backgrounds .

With 2 dining areas , the Terrace which serves primarily Indonesian and Thai cuisines and the Italian . The Italian finally has an Italian at the helm . Lorenzo B came on board in December and delivers a mean menu . FYI , he has been around to the other Indon Amans , so requesting off menu Italian should be better these days ..

Enjoy refreshing young coconuts and their flesh / meat .. get lots here with a view . What more can one want ?

IMG_7788.JPG

Well , perhaps these Sumbawa lobsters :)

These expertly done by Chef Komang , hormok Thai style  .. 

You can also see perkedel jagung ( sweetcorn fritter )

IMG_7859.JPG

Overall

This evening photo was taken the next day walking from lobby towards the Terrace . With golf green in view , right by the pool & some suites , it shows how much buffer one has to the rest of the hotels ; as with the dark expanse in the other full moon photo.

1_IMG_7913.JPG

Full Moonrise , from Nusa main pool 

12_image1.jpeg

View of the full moon & reflection from the Terrace

we could even see the waves rolling in and breaking

2_image3.jpeg

Here is another full moon shot from the Terrace , by GM Ian W & edited by moi .

IMG_4134.JPG

We always enjoy being at Nusa , often a welcome start or relaxing end to our Bali sojourns .. an oasis of calm after the airport routine or good preparation for getting back to the real world .

What I mean is , Nusa is at Nusa Dua a sort of enclave with lots of hotels but yet away from it all being above them . Being nearer to civilisation unlike the other Indon Amans , plus you get 2 restaurants :)

Also love Nusa ' s big square main pool !

Lovely to have the expanse of beach  , though shared , the Nusa Beach Club is still rather private  .

One can venture to the shoreline to observe the beach activities including the fishermen at times or just laze at the bales or tan on your lounger  or if you wish to sit , at your own table at your bale .

Nusa is possibly the least physically challenging of the 3 Aman Bali properties if not all Aman Indon ones ..

Now why am I sharing this ??

Hmm , for our FTer Amanjunkie friends & to be friends , of course ! .. our hidden gem ( actually in plain view :) !! ) but perhaps no more for FTers who read this 

What a life !  :)

Amanusa ! .. one of the not to be missed Amans

Would you like to write a review on the Amanusa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Groombridge
I agree: Amankora and Amankila are also in my "top 10," and Amanusa, Amangiri, Amantaka, and Amanpuri all in my "top 20." But some "non-chain" properties, too:

1. Villa Feltrinelli (Lago di Garda, Italy)
2. The Farm at Cape Kidnappers (New Zealand)
3. Amankora (Bhutan)
4. Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur, India)
5. Wolgan Valley (Australia)
6. Four Seasons Tented Camp (Golden Triangle, Thailand)
7. Four Seasons Istanbul-Bosphorus (Turkey)
8. Amankila (Bali)
9. Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace (Jodhpur, India)
10. Four Seasons Chiang Mai (Thailand)
11. Four Seasons Langkawi (Malaysia)
12. Dolder Grand (Zurich)
13. Amanusa (Bali)
14. Rosewood Mayakoba (Riviera Maya, Mexico)
15. Amangiri (Utah, USA)
16. Amantaka (Luang Prabang, Laos)
17. Amanpuri (Phuket, Thailand)
18. Dar Ahlam (Morocco)
19. Castiglion del Bosco (Tuscany)
20. Oberoi Amarvilas (Agra)
Originally Posted by aesla11
IMO at least it would be better to categorize the hotel/resort type. You can not compare a beach resort to a city or mountain resort.

Here are my votes:
Beach resort - Amanpulo
Cultural resort - Amanjiwo
City hotel - FS Paris
Mountain / Ski property: FS Jackson hole
African safari camp: Andbeyond - Bateleur Camp (have not been to Singita)
Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Until now we got over 50 very valuable contributors, and below you can find what they have democratically sentenced:

4 Mentions
Amanpulo (Pamalican Islands - Philippines): damaxer91, Musken, aesla11, ainternational

3 Mentions
Villa Feltrinelli (Lake Garda - Italy) cadogan1, Groombridge, Londonjetsetter
Amanjiwo (Java - Indonesia): zigzag, deer, Fliar

2 Mentions
Il San Pietro (Positano - Italy): The_Daddy, BLV
Hotel Bora Bora (Bora Bora - French Polinesia): ORDSteve, mike_la_jolla
Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle (Chiang Saen - Thailand) : Ib8001, adamak,
Burj Al Arab (Dubai - UAE) - krausolany, koeche
Park Hyatt (Sidney - Australia): irwin8417, acrusa
Tawaraya Ryokan (Kyoto - Japan): obscure2k, grumbler

1 Mention
Park Hyatt Tokyo (Tokyo - Japan): maskelo
The Oberoi Amarvilas (Agra - India): banness
Raffles (Singapore): hailstorm
Blanket Bay (Glenorchy - New Zealand): instyleprincess
Six Senses Ninh Van Bay (Ninh Van Bay - Vietnam) : A380 Flyer
Amankila (Bali - Indonesia): peter11
Schoenburg Castle (Schonburg - Germany): SanDiego1K
Maya Ubud (Bali - Indonesia): smith80678
Katikies (Santorini - Greece): justforfun
Four Seasons NYC (New York City - USA): MCruler
Palazzo Sasso (Ravello - Italy): Baghoarder
Yellowstone Club (Montana - USA): 5khours Edit (Yellowstone is by invitation only residential club and sky resort)
Rania Island (Faafu Atoll - Maldives): RA-wannabe
Rayavadee (Krabi - Thailand): MikeFromTokyo
Glenmere Mansion (Chester - USA): henrikfromdenmark
Londolozi Tree Camp (Kruger National Park - South Africa): Jac747
Singita Boulders (Kruger National Park - South Africa): Larkin
Amanpuri (Phuket - Thailand): bearbrick
Singita Grumeti Reserves (Tanzania): jwurz
Devi Garh (Udaipur - India): LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Ritz-Carlton (Osaka - Japan): hailstorm
Mandarin Oriental (Bangkok - Thailand): 5mSvGlow
The Savoy (London - UK): Antonio8069
Makanyane Safari Lodge (NWP - South Africa) : tinkybelle

General Notes:

Thailand is the Country that has more unforgettable properties with 4 hotels named (Rayavadee Resort, Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle, Mandarin Oriental bangkok and Amanpuri).

Aman is the "chain" mentioned more times (Amanpulo, Amanjiwo, Amankila, Amanpuri, Hotel Bora Bora).

Amanpulo has suddenly jumped in the first position passing Villa Feltrinelli that was leading since the beginning of this thread but has then slowed. Amanjiwo, in fact, joined it at the second position with three mentions.

THE List is very composed. There are beach resorts, numerous Game Reserve Resort that seems to be a favourite as well for FTers, cultural resorts, Mountain resorts and urban escapes.

Other properties that did not make it to THE List or properties just named in the thread:

Danieli (Venice - Italy) / Four Seasons Provence (Provence - France) / Four Seasons Chinzan-So (Tokyo - Japan) / Gritti (Venice - Italy) / Como Shambala Estate (Bali - Indonesia) / Umaid Bhawan Palace (Rajasthan - India) / Amanpuri (Phuket - Thailand) / Cipriani (Venice - Italy) / Bauer (Venice - Italy) / Four Seasons Hualalai (Big Island Hawai - USA) / Fregate Island (Fregate Island - Seychelles) / Laucala Island (Laucala Island - Fiji) / The Peninsula Bangkok (Bangkok - Thailand) / Mauna Kea Beach Hotel (Hawai - USA) / Hotel du Cap Antibes (Cap D'Antibes - France) / Singita Sweni Lodge (Kruger National Park - South Africa) / Ratua Private Island (Luganville - Vanuatu) / Wakaya Club (Wakaya Island- Fiji) / North Island (North Island - Seychelles) / The Farm at Cape Kidnappers (New Zealand) / Amankora (Bhutan) / Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur, India) / Wolgan Valley (Australia) / Four Seasons Bosphorus (Istanbul - Turkey) / Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace (Jodhpur India) / Four Seasons Chiang Mai (Thailand) / Four Seasons Langkawi (Malaysia) / Dolder Grand (Zurich - Switzerland) / Amanusa (Bali - Indonesia) / Rosewood Mayakoba (Riviera Maya - Mexico) / Amangiri (Utah - USA) / Amantaka (Luang Prabang - Laos) / Dar Ahlam (Morocco) / Castiglion del Bosco (Tuscany - Italy) / Twin Farm (Barnard - USA) / Four Seasons George V (Paris - France) / Four Seasons Jacksone Hole (Teton Village - USA) / Andbeyond Bateleur Camp (Masai Sara - Kenya) / Lizard Island (The Great Barrier Reef - Australia) / Jade Mountain (Soufriere - St. Lucia) / Park Hyatt Vendome (Paris - France) / Grand Hyatt (Hong Kong) / The Grand Mauritian (Balaclava - Mauritius) / Grand Hyatt (Bangkok - Thailand) / Amanfayun (Hangzhou - China)

Thanks all for such a great contribution and please feel free to add any property or to comment already named properties.

Thanks

daddy
Well , I just realised that I had not put my input after posting above ..

My votes are likely modified somewhat since this thread was started anyway !

Here are my votes - as of now :
Beach resort - Amanpulo
City hotel - MOBKK
Mountain / Ski property - Amangani
African safari camp - Undecided

Then also like
ISP
Saffire
Just too many .. !

Decisions , decisions , decisions !!
We also love the other Amans not mentioned above or below , in particular
Jena
Kila
N'oi
Nusa

Will be more additions & amendments come 2019 ..

If back in 1990
Beach resort - Amanpuri
Cultural resort - MOBKK
City hotel - MOHK
Mountain / Ski property - Somewhere in Switzerland , cannot recall
African safari camp - not even considering continent even though friends had insisted we visit them in Mombasa & Nairobi , go on safari ..

Just so many places to explore & visit !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 10, 2017 at 4:38 pm Reason: Add information
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Member

I'll bite:

La Casa Que Canta, Zihuatenejo, Mexico
Le Bristol, Paris
Twin Farms, Vermont
Claridges, London
Soniat House, New Orleans
St. Regis, NYC, Fifth Avenue
The Beverly Hills Hotel
Sherman House, San Francisco (now defunct, my heart still breaks)
The Savoy, London, yes, I know many pooh-pooh this venue but a Thames view room or suite truly is exceedingly special, halcyon for us.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:34 pm

Smile love the photos

Originally Posted by mkm4
Singita Boulders
however a few were upside down. thanks
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'll bite again. These are not only the best and most amazing places where we've ever stayed, but also the only places to which I'd consistently consider returning.

Amanjiwo, Indonesia
Singita Boulders, South Africa
Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace, India
Amangiri, USA
The Upper House, Hong Kong
Peninsula Shanghai, China
Gritti Palace, Italy
La Residence, South Africa
Amankila, Indonesia
Cavas Wine Lodge, Argentina
Cayo Espanto, Belize
St. Regis San Francisco, USA
Hotel Imperial, Vienna (EDIT Added Oct 2017)
St. Regis New York, USA (EDIT Added Mar 2018)
Suiran, Japan (EDIT Added May 2018)
St. Regis Florence, Italy (EDIT Added Oct 2018)

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 12, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'll bite again. These are not only the best and most amazing places where we've stayed, but also the only places to which I'd consistently consider returning.

Amanjiwo, Indonesia
Amangiri, USA
Gritti Palace, Italy
Amankila, Indonesia
Cayo Espanto, Belize
I will now be using this as my de-facto "places to go" list. Though I wonder how many amazing places you're not including due to your truly absurd () aircon requirements!

5 down, many more to go!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:55 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I wonder how many amazing places you're not including due to your truly absurd () aircon requirements!
Believe it or not, we had an air con fail our first night at The Upper House. And I had air con issues once at the StR San Francisco. And they still made the list.

There are a few that were discounted not because of air con issues but more due to the poor management response. Ironically, the best management response to a poor air con issue was Amanwana, by far...and that still didn't make my list.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well , I just realised that I had not put my input after posting above ..

My votes are likely modified somewhat since this thread was started anyway !

Here are my votes - as of now :
Beach resort - Amanpulo
City hotel - MOBKK
Mountain / Ski property - Amangani
African safari camp - Undecided

Then also like
ISP
Saffire
Just too many .. !

Decisions , decisions , decisions !!
We also love the other Amans not mentioned above or below , in particular
Jena
Kila
N'oi
Nusa

Will be more additions & amendments come 2019 ..

If back in 1990
Beach resort - Amanpuri
Cultural resort - MOBKK
City hotel - MOHK
Mountain / Ski property - Somewhere in Switzerland , cannot recall
African safari camp - not even considering continent even though friends had insisted we visit them in Mombasa & Nairobi , go on safari ..

Just so many places to explore & visit !
I'll bite again. These are not only the best and most amazing places where we've stayed, but also the only places to which I'd consistently consider returning.

Amanjiwo, Indonesia
Amangiri, USA
Gritti Palace, Italy
Amankila, Indonesia
Cayo Espanto, Belize
Believe it or not, we had an air con fail our first night at The Upper House. And I had air con issues once at the StR San Francisco. And they still made the list.

There are a few that were discounted not because of air con issues but more due to the poor management response. Ironically, the best management response to a poor air con issue was Amanwana, by far...and that still didn't make my list.
Good thing the AC worked in St Regis that 105 weekend 17/18 June .
Very good AC at TUH , last stay was in May when I am usually not in HKG as it gets hot by then . The team lower the AC temp in my / our suite before our arrival
Thanks bhrubin for your suggestion , was at sea after MOSF was no more .

FYI , Giri would have made the list if the opening was not delayed so much .
Had already given a buffer but opened after we were last in LAS .
Same with a few other Amans .

In HKG , I also return to TUH and MO

Have yet to stay at The Pen , due to hordes in the lobby .
The last attempt had the highest typhoon signal being hoisted & that was when the lobby situation was less a zoo
So have stayed on HK side since
Perhaps I should try once along with a refurbished Intercontinental some day
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I really thought I had replied in this thread but perhaps not. I'll add one for Singita Sabi Sands (specifically ebony post-reno).
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:26 am

Singita Lebombo and Boulders
Amanpulo
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
Singita Grumeti Tanzania
L'Apogee Courchevel
Castiglion del Bosco Tuscany
Anantara Qasr al Sarab
Four Seasons Landaa Maldives
Hotel du cap Eden Rock
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Looks like I have to add a 13th hotel to our all-time incredible must-stay hotels list:

Hotel Imperial, Vienna

Our stay last week was simply too perfect, too sublime, too amazing not to mention...or yearn for a return visit.

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198

Amanjiwo, Indonesia
Amangiri, USA
Gritti Palace, Italy
Amankila, Indonesia
Cayo Espanto, Belize

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.