Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Tianjin, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Tianjin, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 12:21 pm

I just completed a one night stay here. As a plat I got an upgrade to a very nice St. Regis suite with a river view (same room as described in detail above).

The happy hour has a few hors d'oeuvres but wasn't all that memorable. The breakfast has now changed to an extensive buffet.

I also stayed a night at the Astor and would have to say that I prefer the modern conveniences of the room at the St. Regis. The history at the Astor is impressive though and would be worth a night's stay if you find that interesting.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Any recent updates? The ratings on SPG website is only mediocre, but a bit better on Tripadvisor
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
St. Regis Tianjin - Is it worth the name?

The St Regis Tianjin Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

158 Zhangzizhong Road Heping District Tianjin, CN 300041

St. Regis Tianjin - Is it worth the name? (13 Photos)

Check In

The lobby area is gorgious, but the people working the desks for check in really could use some training. The only time my status was mentioned was when they said since they do not have a lounge, I can get the 1000 points or free breakfast. At no time did I feel like an Elite member, nor thanked for my loyalty. The girl behind the counter could barely speak English.

Room

The room we were initially in was great. I had to ask for them to move us at about 9pm the first night as in the room next to us was a family with a small child and the child was constantly banging on the wall and screaming at the top of their lungs. Photos attached are of the room, which was a river view room. As you can see the room is quite large for a non-suite. The bathroom is absolutely beautiful. The shower has a huge "rain" shower and lots of room to enjoy yourself in.

1_IMG_1704.jpg1_IMG_1705.jpg1_IMG_1707.jpg1_IMG_1708.jpg1_IMG_1709.jpg1_IMG_1710.jpg

Service

It is hard to give the service high marks as though some of them try hard, in the end they just fail so badly. I am not sure if this is due to the culture and the fact that they cannot get good quality people to work for the hotel, or if it is just a training issue. I had HIGH expectations of the service, this is the St. Regis and that name should be synonymous with quality and service.

My original room was great, but VERY loud neighbors had me downstairs and with the head butler. I told them I was there for a relaxing weekend and I wanted to be in a room without small children around me or over me and I would take any type of room they had for them to make that happen. They moved me quite quickly. However, the next morning the room beside me had a small child and a family and they were loud until 10-11pm and early in the morning there was constant door slamming. For at least 3 hours. We were checking out that day or I would have had words with the head butler again.

I had called down to get some towels and some of the shower liquids refreshed. I believe it was a language issue as they didn't bring me the right shower liquids.

I also want to point out that the arrival to the hotel was met with ZERO hotel staff actually in the front of the hotel. It is the first time at any Marriott property the door hasn't been opened for me upon arrive and helped with my bags. That is a complete failure on the part of the hotel's management.

Dining

We ate breakfast twice at the hotel and had "Happy Hour" once.

Breakfast offers a pretty good spread, but honestly it is not what I was expecting from the St. Regis. The selection was quite small, and the focus was mainly on Chinese breakfast foods. I quickly learned that this location is VERY popular with local Chinese, especially for weekend staycations with their small children. The food choices reflects that.

I found for Western food they had custom egg service, the usual Marriott sausages/bacon offerings. They had a range of breakfast cereals and yogerts. About 4-5 fresh fruits and some breads. Depending on the day there might also be waffles, pancakes or French toast.

The food wasn't bad, but the hot foods I got from the pots were not very hot, in fact the first day my bacon was ice cold, so I didn't eat it.

The food isn't bad, but if you are coming here to eat, I would suggest against it.

The "Happy Hour" for elite members offers a VERY small offering and they do NOT replenish after the first hour. The first night we tried the food it was tasty, fresh and hot, though not a large offering. The second night it looked bad, so we went out to eat.

They only offered us local beer during "Happy Hour", no cocktails. I am not sure if this was a language issue or how they do their service here.

1_IMG_1713.jpg

The location is really one of the best things about this hotel. It is right beside the river and across the street is a relatively new mall called Riverside 66. The mall has some food and shopping, so we spent a few hours inside shopping and eating.

We took a walk along both sides of the river and if you are looking to do some touristy stuff, there is quite a bit one can do from this hotel within walking distance, or biking distance.

Here are a couple photos from our window that show the river and the surrounding neighborhood.

IMG_1706.jpgIMG_1712.jpg

Overall

Overall I was disappointed by the stay due to the fact it was MUCH busier than I had expected a luxury hotel to be on a regular weekend. Also, there were way too many small children running around the hotel, in the hallways, the restaurant, the lobby and even the gym! I understand having kids and what that means, I have one. I took my kid to the Four Seasons when she was quite young and NO ONE heard a peep from her. I really wish the parents that brought their kids here felt the same.

Gym

The gym is a bit of a hike to get to, but it is fully equipped. See the pics below.

5fb5537db8a0a05727a705aa6d5777d.jpg7d2c841dbff18528c0bac127a4c9548.jpg415b4f1493d50f561d7a1aa20e9bc55.jpg972ccc8858989374bbe6b16ef184a1e.jpg

St. Regis Tianjin - Is it worth the name?

Would you like to write a review on the The St Regis Tianjin Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Handcake, your review is right on the mark. I had very similar experience. The hardware of the room is gorgeous, and I loved the location. However, the service is disappointing for a St Regis. It feels like everyone is trying, but not really working together and sometimes seems to be lost.
Handcake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.