Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Times Square {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:31 am

Travel4ever, have you or your daughters ever stayed at the Waldorf? IMO the Waldorf is a Great place to stay, easy subway ride to TimeSquare.

Big advantage of Hilton TS is the location of being right at TS, but it is mob city at that location as you step on to the street. This is a big hangout for young people.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 1:02 pm

I stayed at the Hilton TS this past Monday night on the day of the huge snowstorm. I booked online at 8:30pm and arrived at the hotel at 10:00pm and my reservation was there and ready for me. (I live in NJ so not a far drive). I booked a standard room and simply asked if they had any upgrades available. The front desk attendant said that there was and she would be happy to do so. She then indicated that since I was a Gold I had a choice of 500 points or the free continental breakfast. I chose the points.

They upgraded me to the corner suite on the top floor of the hotel with some great views. The suite was very clean - the only minor annoyance was the TV in the living area was not responding to any of the remote controls in the room. Overall, a great experience and friendly staff.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:40 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by huegli:
got a choice of 500 miles per day or free breakfast</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by troublz:
I had a choice of 500 points or the free continental breakfast.</font>
Is it 500 miles or 500 points, and is it definitely per day?

And, continental or hot buffet?

500 miles = 1000 points = about $7 to $10 by my valuation
500 points = about $3 to $5

Your valuation may vary, of course. Let's not rehash that conversation.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rut Dog:
Is it 500 miles or 500 points, and is it definitely per day?

And, continental or hot buffet?
</font>
You have a choice of 500 points per day or a buffet that includes a few hot dishes plus cold smoked salmon.

Old Feb 23, 2003, 4:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It was a buffet while I was there, with meat, eggs, etc not a continential breakfast.

Old Feb 23, 2003, 4:59 pm

The buffet here has sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, smoked salmon, and the usual assortment of cereals, breads, fresh fruit, etc. Very decent for a hotel breakfast buffet.

-Zombie-
Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:53 pm

Hilton Times Square

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hilton Times Square

234 W 42nd St New York, NY US 10036

Hilton Times Square - Quick report (0 Photo)

Hilton Times Square

Hi, Just returned from a 3 night point stretcher stay. My first time at this hotel. I was quite impressed and enjoyed it. As a Diamond I was given a King Deluxe corner room on the 35th floor, room #3501. The room was very nice, good sized, but not huge. The bathroom was not large, but was about big enough so that you wouldn't call it "small." There was a very comfy easy chair and ottoman in the room, a nice floor lamp with a dimmer switch (which was a nice touch because dimming the lights gave the room a nice ambience). There was also a desk with a chair on each side, and a tv with a minibar fridge and safe underneath it. They offered free high speed internet access. I asked if an upgrade to a suite was possible, but was told that they were booked solid. The desk clerk did say that she would check each morning for me and try to get me into a suite. I must admit that although one never became available, they did leave me a message each morning stating that they had my request for a suite but that nothing was available. Was given 2 breakfast coupons for each day without asking. The coupons state right on them that if you do not use them, you can exchange them at the front desk for 500 hhonors points per day. Breakfast, as stated by others in this thread, is very good, with eggs, bacon, salmon, fruit, etc, and runs for $18, so it is by far worth more than the 500 points. However, if you can't eat breakfast for whatever reason, it is a nice option to be able to exchange the coupons for points. I liked that the restaurant stayed open late for breakfast. They were open until 11 am on weekdays, 11:30 on Saturday, and noon on Sunday. They get big points for staying open late. I hate it when some hotels only offer breakfast until 9 or 9:30. For a late sleeper like me (at least while on vacation), it forces me to choose between sleep or breakfast. One disappointment with the hotel was that the front desk staff at night never knew what time breakfast ended the next morning. Every person I asked gave a different answer. Was forced to call the restaurant each morning to confirm the actual closing time. Not a big deal, but you'd think they'd know something that basic. Was granted a late checkout with no hassles. I'd have to agree with the other posts in this thread that the location of this hotel is fabulous, but 42nd street just outside the hotel does get quite busy with many young people, especially on weekend nights. There is a huge police presence though, and that helped make things feel safe. I still prefer the Waldorf to this hotel, but this is definitely a good hotel.

Edited to add: Was given turndown service every evening without asking. They left chocolates on the night stand and two bottles of poland spring water in the room. Unlike turndown service at other hotels though, they did not clean the room or provide new towels or new bathroom amenities. Also wanted to mention that there was a robe in the room, and that the bed and pillows were quite comfy. The rooms are very quiet for NYC. The windows kept out virtually all noise except the occasional siren. [This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 02-23-2003).]

Hilton Times Square - Quick report

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Times Square?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lofly:
Travel4ever, have you or your daughters ever stayed at the Waldorf? IMO the Waldorf is a Great place to stay, easy subway ride to TimeSquare.

Big advantage of Hilton TS is the location of being right at TS, but it is mob city at that location as you step on to the street. This is a big hangout for young people.
</font>
Lofly: Yes, we've stayed at the Waldorf (on the concierge level) for five nights about two years ago. Personally, I preferred it over a fifth avenue suit at the Plaza! My daughter (and friend)said they'd like to be in TS so I guess instead of having them walk to Times Square at night from the Waldorf (which my older daughter clued me in on that one!)I suppose my choice will be the HTS this trip. I enjoy trying new hotels (with new views!) anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:29 pm

Good luck, Travel4ever. HTS is a GREAT location, right in the middle of everything. The movie theater next door is an experience also, as you go UP to find your theater Enjoy.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:29 pm

Times square hilton has seen better days

Live from new york- my fourth stay here and most likely my last- First time as a gold not offered a suite, but that is not always to be expected; however the beds in the deluxe rooms are soft and in need of new mattresses-the bed skirts are stainedand the front desk is poorly trained and not customer friendly- complaints fall on deaf ears- the hotel was giving rooms on priceline for this weekend for under 100 dollars-so their higher paying their gold customers should be treated with respect- next time the westin because my daughter loves the theater district. too bad - we had really liked this hotel.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
That's funny, I've been to the Times Square Hilton many times as a Diamond and never had a suite.

A stain in the bed skirt I would expect in NYC -- adds to the experience.

No excuse for poor service though!

[This message has been edited by elbidercni (edited 06-14-2003).]
Old Jun 14, 2003, 3:30 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I have stayed at this hotel as Gold and Diamond, and never given any kind of upgrade. They usually just tell you your room has been upgraded, but there is no measurable difference in the room you get. In the two stays I was not very impressed by the hotel, and the prices seem like a wrip off for what you get. The W hotels are similarly pricy but you get a more interesting room and experience, and as Starwood Plat I've often gotten a suite.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 9:45 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G

The upgraded rooms are towards the end of the building. They are maybe 4 or 5 feet bigger. You can tell if you haven't been upgraded because when you look out the window you can see the larger rooms jutting out a few feet.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:09 am

I too have found the upgrades lacking - being a diamond. Service is lackluster at best.

New York Hilton provides so much more - usually suite - executive lounge and awesome check-in on the 44th floor.

WIth so many new properties in the TS area - I wonder if it will just be a matter of time before this is something else.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:44 am

best rooms to ask for in the Hilton Times Square?

Hi all,

In reference to the thread below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/008510.html

I've decided to change my stay from the Hilton Millenium to the Hilton Times Square, for a couple of reasons: 1. I wanted to be in "touristy" midtown to have better access to places to eat late at night 2. I wanted to have a view other than that of Ground Zero, since I am coming to NY on emotionally heavy business and didn't want to come "home" to the hotel to look at Ground Zero, too. :-(

Russell Menkes, the GM at the Times Square purchased 9K points for my third night stay (9K points only cost the hotel $40.50 v. $112.50 if I bought directly!) and will in turn charge me $40.50 for the thrid night stay. This is more than fair, as I'm willing to pay $40 for proximity to my family, atmosphere, and access to food. The normal rate was $179.00 for that night.

So my question....

I am a Gold VIP member. What rooms should I ask for in the Times Square Hilton? I'd like to get a view of the Hudson River.

Thanks in advance,

Marci

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.