Aman Contributor Badge

Small trip report O&O The Palm, Dubai

One&Only The Palm

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

One&Only The Palm

Palm Island Dubai, AE 37252

The Palm, Dubai (0 Photo)

One&Only The Palm

The hotel is small, at least for Dubai standards, with 90 rooms. It is located at the Palm, quite far away from anything else (15 drive from entering the Palm). The small size and location makes it a nice escape/oasis compared to most other Dubai hotels.  We stayed for 12 nights. 

Room

We had a Palm beach premiere room in a beach mansion. While it was new, beautifully appointed with all the amenities one would need, I was still a bit disappointed, especially about the size and layout of the room, compared to room at FS and Amanresorts in the same pricerange. 65 square meters with bathroom separated from living/bedroom with half transparent sliding doors and no window in bathroom... It just felt less spacious and luxurious as other hotels that I have stayed in. If I would go again, I would at least choose one of the jr. suites. Bed very comfortable, aircondition great, good minibar/coffeemaker and bath products. Beautiful lamps and other decoration.  Outside is a small terrasse which is not at all private. Firstly it is so close to the next rooms terrasse that it almost felt to be a shared terrasse and secondly everyone walking by can see the whole terrasse. Same goes for the larger rooms with private pools. Nothing that I would call private...  We had spectacular view of New Dubai, but did not really feel that we had direct beach access since we were located at the far end of the beach, where there are no loungers etc. This was OK for us, but make sure you specify wishes in terms of location when booking room.

Pool/beach

Great pool, but very busy. Hotel was fully booked and it would be difficult to get a lounger at the pool if you would arrive late. Lots of kids (school holidays). We travelled with our son, so no problem for us, but I have really never seen that many kids in for example a FS resort at this time of year, so be aware if you would prefer more of a quiet lounging by the pool kind of holiday. Very comfortable sun loungers. Service good, but sometimes slow, again I guess because of full occupancy, but I do not like to wait for my drinks, no matter what is the reason.  Did not go to beach. While the view is "wrong" for me (skyscrapers), it also felt very artificial (man made beach, "inside" the Palm). In addition to the main pool there is also a smaller pool at the gym where complimentary water aerobics/water jogging etc. was offered. Very good, but it should have been with music since this makes working out much easier for me.   

Spa

Excellent. Had three great treatments with three different therapists, all really good. Beautiful spa as well. 

Restaurants

Three restaurants at the resort, all with quite similar food - "international".  The Stay restaurant with star chef Yannick Alleno was really excellent and a reason to visit also if you stay somewhere else (save space for the fantastic deserts!!!), while the two other restaurants were amazing in terms of decoration but had mostly too bland food for our taste. Breakfast very good - a mix of buffet and ala carte, including an excellent juice bar. Service in all restaurants very good.  Quite stressful and bad that we - again because of full occupancy - had to reserve tables in restaurants sometimes several days in advance to get a place. I like to be more spontanous.  A shuttle boat (only every 2nd hour, but still) takes you to the sister hotel O&O Royal Mirage where there are more restaurant which I enjoyed more, indian restaurant, thai fusion, seafood etc. There is also a shuttle to Atlantis for restaurants there (and the great water park, dolphin bay etc.) - but wonderful to be back in our own small, quiet hotel after visiting "Disneyland" (Atlantis). Lots of choise of restaurants elswhere in Dubai, but always a long ride with taxi.   

Service

Generally excellent, both in restaurant, reception, spa and housekeeping. Remembered our name and preferences and made their very best for us. Did not see very much of senior management. It was not really necessary since things were running well without them, but still it felt like something was missing compared to other luxury hotels. 

Overall

Maybe it is just that I did not really like Dubai compared to other more culturally interesting or beautiful, tranquil holiday destinations. I do not know. We had lots of fun and a good holiday in a very good hotel, but still I will not recommend this kind of holiday compared to others that we have been to. However, if you need to be in Dubai or happen to like Dubai, this is definitely a hotel to stay in! Feel free to ask questions.

The Palm, Dubai

Would you like to write a review on the One&Only The Palm?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by Musken; Oct 20, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Many thanks for the informative report.

Great to hear that service standards were mostly good.

One thing that I took note of when visiting The Palm, which I always point out to people considering visiting Dubai notwithstanding that it should be obvious, is that "The Palm", i.e. the man-made island in the shape of a palm, is not, of course, visible to anyone from ground-level... As a result, the most amazing aspect of The Palm is lost when staying there.....and as such should not necessarily form a good reason for staying there in and of itself....

Would love to see some pictures of the hotel if you have the inclination.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blueline7
Many thanks for the informative report.

Great to hear that service standards were mostly good.

One thing that I took note of when visiting The Palm, which I always point out to people considering visiting Dubai notwithstanding that it should be obvious, is that "The Palm", i.e. the man-made island in the shape of a palm, is not, of course, visible to anyone from ground-level... As a result, the most amazing aspect of The Palm is lost when staying there.....and as such should not necessarily form a good reason for staying there in and of itself....

Would love to see some pictures of the hotel if you have the inclination.
There are quite a number of pictures at TA or Flickr. Mine are with people on them, so I would nok like to share them.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Have booked to stay there for 3 nights in December. Now wondering whether to go somewhere else! What about the grounds?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:35 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Why? I mean which of the issues I mentioned made you want to go somewhere else? I think this is the best hotel I saw in Dubai in spite of the issues but if you give more details of what is important for you I and others can help better.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:37 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Grounds very well maintained. Green, clean and beautiful.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

residence @ royal mirage is half the size with private pool and restaurant. maybe stay there and visit palm?

if royal mirage guests can use palm pool, that certainly wouldnt help occupancy, but would work out pretty well for residence guests.

good details on service (incl shuttles and spa) and food. ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by Musken
Why? I mean which of the issues I mentioned made you want to go somewhere else? I think this is the best hotel I saw in Dubai in spite of the issues but if you give more details of what is important for you I and others can help better.
From your trip report, there appears to be no wow factor.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
From your trip report, there appears to be no wow factor.
I understand, and it depends on your taste. I would say that the design and the pool is wow, but I prefer a more minimalistic and natural design (like many Amandesigns) and we felt that it was too full around the pool to really appreciate it. But as I said, if you want to stay somewhere in Dubai, I still recommend this hotel.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by Musken
Quite stressful and bad that we - again because of full occupancy - had to reserve tables in restaurants sometimes several days in advance to get a place. I like to be more spontanous.
Stayed in 3 O&O properties so far and Restaurant(s) booking was always an issue with all the guests. Everywhere.

I'm start thinking it is some kind of "included benefit" with O&O.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.