Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Former "Express Seats" now rebranded "Preferred Seats" - free for elite and full-fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former "Express Seats" now rebranded "Preferred Seats" - free for elite and full-fare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent

Newly Branded Preferred Seats Complimentary for Elite and Full Fare Customers
Customers Can Select Seats on All of American's Direct Booking Channels

FORT WORTH, Texas, Aug. 25, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --

American Airlines has expanded and renamed its Express Seats offering, now called Preferred Seats. The expanded seat choice is now available to all American Airlines customers 24 hours prior to departure through all of American's direct booking channels including AA.com, AA.com Mobile, self-service check-in machines, American's phone reservations, and via travel agencies with a direct connect link to American's fares and schedules.

Preferred Seats provide customers the option to select and reserve more desirable seats, with prices beginning at $4 per segment and varying based on length of flight and time of day.

Preferred Seats are now complimentary for Elite and full-fare customers and their companion traveler(s) on the same reservation, including:

AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ, PlatinumŽ, and GoldŽ members;

Full-fare customers, AAirPass and oneworldŽ elite customers.

Elite and full-fare customers will also continue to have exclusive access to certain more desirable seats, including toward the front of the plane, available 331 days in advance. These seats are now called Preferred Plus Seats.

Preferred Seats are also complimentary for active duty military personnel and their family members traveling on the same reservation.

Previous Product New Name Customer Change
Express Seats Preferred Seats Complimentary for elite and full-fare.
(for all customers) More channels to access.

Preferred Seats Preferred Plus Seats No change.
(for elite customers)

For more information about the Preferred and Preferred Plus Seats products, please visit seats
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
What about if companions are on separate reservations? Is it still possible to call in and get the seat manually assigned?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: 1K, Diamond
Just checked in for an afternoon LGA-ORD flight and couldn't select the now renamed Preferred Seats, nor were they offered for sale. Bummer... they're pretty wide open on EF.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:59 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I don't like hearing that the express seats have been "expanded" since this probably means more seats in the first few rows will be set aside for this... but at least the exit rows continue to be available to elites at any time.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:00 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xero
What about if companions are on separate reservations? Is it still possible to call in and get the seat manually assigned?
Yup - I've never had an issue calling EXP and having them pull my traveling companions into preferred seats if they were on a different PNR. (Only complication is if their seats were booked via a third-party like a travel agent. The EXP agent is required to charge the seat change fee, so usually I just have to call the travel agent and have the TA call EXP to get the seats released.)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JY1024
Yup - I've never had an issue calling EXP and having them pull my traveling companions into preferred seats if they were on a different PNR. (Only complication is if their seats were booked via a third-party like a travel agent. The EXP agent is required to charge the seat change fee, so usually I just have to call the travel agent and have the TA call EXP to get the seats released.)
Thanks for your reply.

I was just thinking about that situation. What if the third party was Orbitz or Expedia? Is that a situation in which you are stuck?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fanch26
Newly Branded Preferred Seats Complimentary for Elite and Full Fare Customers
Customers Can Select Seats on All of American's Direct Booking Channels

FORT WORTH, Texas, Aug. 25, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --

American Airlines has expanded and renamed its Express Seats offering, now called Preferred Seats. The expanded seat choice is now available to all American Airlines customers 24 hours prior to departure through all of American's direct booking channels including AA.com, AA.com Mobile, self-service check-in machines, American's phone reservations, and via travel agencies with a direct connect link to American's fares and schedules.

Preferred Seats provide customers the option to select and reserve more desirable seats, with prices beginning at $4 per segment and varying based on length of flight and time of day.

Preferred Seats are now complimentary for Elite and full-fare customers and their companion traveler(s) on the same reservation, including:

AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ, PlatinumŽ, and GoldŽ members;

Full-fare customers, AAirPass and oneworldŽ elite customers.

Elite and full-fare customers will also continue to have exclusive access to certain more desirable seats, including toward the front of the plane, available 331 days in advance. These seats are now called Preferred Plus Seats.

Preferred Seats are also complimentary for active duty military personnel and their family members traveling on the same reservation.

Previous Product New Name Customer Change
Express Seats Preferred Seats Complimentary for elite and full-fare.
(for all customers) More channels to access.

Preferred Seats Preferred Plus Seats No change.
(for elite customers)

For more information about the Preferred and Preferred Plus Seats products, please visit seats
I wonder if this affects bulkhead seats. Currently, bulkhead are not complimentary at check-in more than 50 min prior to departure; you have to pay as part of ExpressSeats. With less than 50 minutes, GA can assign. Hopefully this mean elites can now get a complimentary bulkhead at check-in.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
I wonder if this affects bulkhead seats. Currently, bulkhead are not complimentary at check-in more than 50 min prior to departure; you have to pay as part of ExpressSeats. With less than 50 minutes, GA can assign. Hopefully this mean elites can now get a complimentary bulkhead at check-in.
I checked in at the kiosk last night for AA1853 to DFW and all seats in the first two rows of Y on both sides of the MD80 were offered for $29 a piece. I was bummed that they were not complimentary to Elites.

EDIT: just re-read and noticed this email is from this morning. Obviously my check in last night was not operating under this new set up. Is it going into full effect today?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:19 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xero
Thanks for your reply.

I was just thinking about that situation. What if the third party was Orbitz or Expedia? Is that a situation in which you are stuck?
Hmm...I'm not completely sure how it would work for Orbitz/Expedia/Travelocity. I feel like I've had friends book on one of those engines before, and I was just able to call EXP and have them move their seats for me. My complication is usually corporate travel agents.

AA used to let my corporate TA request preferred seats electronically, but probably due to past abuse, it's now a manual process. I have to call my TA, give them my traveling companions' info along with the seats I want assigned (based on what I see on EF), then TA calls EXP, and finally EXP assigns the seats and pushes the seat info back to the TA. Tedious - yes, but do-able.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
OLCI did not allow access to an MD-80 bulkhead today. Will try the kiosk at the airport.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
New: Preferred Plus Seating

We are excited to share with you news about our pre-reserved seats program, especially since some of the changes made were based on your feedback.

Today, we enhanced and rebranded our Express Seats offering, now called Preferred Seats. While these seats will continue to be available for purchase for most customers starting 24 hours prior to departure, as an AAdvantage elite-status member, you now have complimentary access to these seats.

The exclusive seats you have always had access to and knew as Preferred Seats are now branded Preferred Plus Seats. As always, these seats continue to be designated exclusively for premium customers and their companions traveling on the same reservation, and can be reserved at the time of booking at no charge — giving you the same amount of exclusive seating as before.

This enhancement to our seating program, along with our continued reinvestment in aircraft, Admirals ClubŽ facilities and technology, will help us better serve you in the future while recognizing your loyalty.

For more information about Preferred Plus Seats and Preferred Seats, including Frequently Asked Questions, please visit AA.com/seats.

Sincerely,

Maya Leibman
President, AAdvantageŽ Loyalty Program
American Airlines, Inc.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Much ado about nothing really except it allows AA to generate revenue selling preferred seats to non-elites. My only concerns would be in the event of IRROPS the preferred seats may not be availible as people have purchased them. My greater concern is that AA maybe edging towards an EconomyPlus scheme.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yeah, just got that as well. Basically, it says that nothing has changed at all...just the name. Thought about posting it, but there was no there there

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
Yeah, just got that as well. Basically, it says that nothing has changed at all...just the name. Thought about posting it, but there was no there there

Cheers.
Maybe. I assumed there was something there for non-EXP's. Also I'm unclear about the open availability of, say, 7D on the MD's.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/seats.js...RL&title=seats

For customers interested in select aisle and window seats near the front of the main cabin, Preferred Seats are available for purchase as early as 24 hours prior to departure with prices beginning at $4 USD per flight

i think that is new? or no....

as long as AA Gold members keeps getting these seats for free.. im good... hahahaha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.