Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This app is no longer available for download from the Apple Store.
Print Wikipost

AA miles and points math iPhone App

Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
AA miles and points math iPhone App

Hey all,

I've learned a lot about AA through this forum and it's helped me learn to fly the right routes to earn the most miles. I've always been interested in the partner earning rates, but found the website descriptions to be rather confusing, especially on the partial mileage earning of some partners (most notably JAL), so I decided to make an iPhone app that will calculate miles earned, EQM earned, as well as EQP earned for all ranges of fares on AA's partners as well as taking into account AA elite status.

Here's the app:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aa-mi...0364?mt=8&ls=1

The app uses AA's math logic, such as rounding each bonus component before adding it to the base value, as well as using actual flight miles for fare bonus calculation. You basically pick a carrier, enter your AA status, fare booked and the flight distance, and the app takes care of the rest. For some carriers, elite status may not be relevant, so it may not show up on all pages. I will be maintaining it, and updates will come out fixing any possible mistakes, as well as when Air Berlin and Kingfisher join, and if Mexicana ever returns. I will strive to keep the app as up to date as possible.

I will give promo codes to the first 20 people to PM me. If you like it, please tell your friends/colleagues about the app. I made it to make everyone's mileage math calculations a whole lot easier

p.s. For those of you who also fly United, I am also in the process of developing a parallel version for United. That one is slightly trickier (due to Star Alliance Codeshare rules)

Last edited by bniu; Jan 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

still got 9 more codes...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:40 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This sounds great! Good on ya, bniu!

Unfortunately, I'm not up to iOS 4.2 yet, but hopefully some of our other members will check it out and post some feedback here. ^
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Now if someone would do the same for Android, because I'm interested in both the app and the promo code!

I guess I should direct my iPhone-using, non-FT friend to check out this forum and the app.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I think the idea is a good one - and the normal price of ninety-nine cents makes it easily available and reasonable. Not much of a profit, eh?

After discussion amongst the forum moderators, we note that though FT has a prohibition against purely commercial posts, we have allowed a number of posts / threads on very related products that may be free or paid - KVS, ExpertFlyer, etc. come to mind. Given this is by an FT member who developed an app specific to this forum's airline and whose sole reason for posting is not to sell products, but rather developed the app some time after becoming a member and increasing activity on AA, offers 20 members free access, it seems appropriate to allow this thread.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks JDiver for allowing this thread, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to post it here. My main motivation was simply to make travel planning on AA and AA's partners easier for fellow AAdvantage enthusiasts. I've learned so much about AA here and it just felt appropriate to give back to others in the form of an app.

I'm out of Promo codes, thanks to all those who've contacted me, and do look for future updates once Air Berlin and Kingfisher join OW this year.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:41 pm

No worries, as we have participants like Huey (creator of SeatExpert.com), the creators of ExpertFlyer, KVS and others who have started projects that dovetail nicely with members' interests in flying better. You started here, developed a useful app members with iPhones can use, and the price is quite nominal - thanks for sharing this with us. And perhaps some users will post their experiences here for us.

How does this work on iPads? (As I am based primarily in the Windows World, it may be a dumb question, but...)

We'll look forward to the addition of IT and AB as they come online with oneworld. (Hey, know anyone handy with Android apps? )

Originally Posted by bniu
Thanks JDiver for allowing this thread, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to post it here. My main motivation was simply to make travel planning on AA and AA's partners easier for fellow AAdvantage enthusiasts. I've learned so much about AA here and it just felt appropriate to give back to others in the form of an app.

I'm out of Promo codes, thanks to all those who've contacted me, and do look for future updates once Air Berlin and Kingfisher join OW this year.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
No worries, as we have participants like Huey (creator of SeatExpert.com), the creators of ExpertFlyer, KVS and others who have started projects that dovetail nicely with members' interests in flying better. You started here, developed a useful app members with iPhones can use, and the price is quite nominal - thanks for sharing this with us. And perhaps some users will post their experiences here for us.

How does this work on iPads? (As I am based primarily in the Windows World, it may be a dumb question, but...)

We'll look forward to the addition of IT and AB as they come online with oneworld. (Hey, know anyone handy with Android apps? )
For right now, this app doesn't appear to work on iPads (even with the iPad's iPhone emulator) as I only had my iPhone handy when I was developing it. I noticed this "bug" when I was trying to download it to my iPad. No worries as I am working on a fix for it, as well trying to make the app compatible with earlier iOS releases. I think my roommate knows a bit about Android. I'll see if he can give me a quick crash course in Android development...

Last edited by bniu; Jan 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

For right now, this app doesn't appear to work on iPads (even with the iPad's iPhone emulator) as I only had my iPhone handy when I was developing it. I noticed this "bug" when I was trying to download it to my iPad. No worries as I am working on a fix for it, as well trying to make the app compatible with earlier iOS releases. I think my roommate knows a bit about Android. I'll see if he can give me a quick crash course in Android development...
First Update:

The app is now compatible with everything from iOS 3.0 and up and will run as an iphone app on iPad. In the future, I'm looking into making it into a universal iPad app as well.

on a side note, since many AA Frequent Fliers also fly United a lot (which I do, AA is my domestic and TATL airline, and United is my TPAC carrier), I made a parallel version for UA as well. More info on that in the UA forum

(mods: I hope I'm not cross posting here...)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:32 pm

That was FAST! Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
...I'm out of Promo codes, thanks to all those who've contacted me, and do look for future updates once Air Berlin and Kingfisher join OW this year.
bniu was nice enough to send me a promo code, but I ended up purchasing the app. So, first one to PM me can have it. (On my way to ANC, so it might be awhile b4 I respond.)

Safe Travels
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Not available in US iTunes store?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by nitrobass24
Not available in US iTunes store?
The pop-up I get says it's ONLY available in the US store and when I opt to go to that it tells me it isn't available in the US store!

Last edited by Blueboys999; Jan 13, 2012 at 2:25 am
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:39 am

What is the name of the app?
The link isn't taking me to the app fr some reason.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Executive Platinum, AmEx Platinum Card, SPG Platinum
i cant find the app, and the link says its not available in the US store.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.