Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MR Question - quick turnaround in Thessaloniki?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al

If I've read it correctly, thanks to to the October 1 changes, opportunities have opened up for AAdvantage members to credit full (+ bonus) miles on cheapo economy BA European flights.

A ride from Manchester to Thessaloniki (SKG) would now be enough to renew my AA status for this year and I've been looking at how I can do that for the smallest outlay. It looks like ba.com won't allow me to book a same day return from BA2642 arriving at 1400 and then coming back at 1455 on BA2643 and an overnight stay would be pricey and inconvenient. However it looks like I can book 2 one-ways (which actually work out a couple of quid cheaper as well).

Anybody done this or any sort of turnaround at SKG and is there any reason why I can't just buy 2 one-ways to overcome the ba.com prohibition?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:24 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Hi, I have been to SKG a few times for work. (Now, let's see how many that puts off for starters!) I have not been for about three years but I can give you my impressions of that time.

Firstly, unless you online check in and print your own boarding pass, then forget it. Check-in will be closed when you get through.

Secondly, it would depend if you are a EU or a US citizen. EU passport queue should be somewhat shorter. I do not remember a transfer route, merely the full immigration route.

You will be bused from the aeroplane so jockey for position on the bus and leap out when it stops to get to immigration. At that point, you should be fine. You will arrive on ground floor and departures is upstairs.

It is certainly possible but you will have to get on with it.

PM for more advice

Happy landings
Spottie
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: MUCCI
I did a middle of the night turn around on Swiss earlier this year. However their plane was technically nightstopping I gues, as I had ~3 or 4 hours on the ground in total to do it in!

I'd certainly want to ensure I had my BP, or find somewhere that will book it as one ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.