Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tianjin, China [Master Thread]

Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt

(I could not find any other threads with a review of this recently-opened property so here's my contribution. Mods, if I'm in error, please pardon my rudimentary search skills.)

Modern blue/green steel and glass building, centrally located in downtown Tianjin. Easy taxi ride to any location within the city. About 35-45 mins from the Tianjin airport. About 15-20 mins from the rail station for the Tianjin-Beijing highspeed trains (350kmh!

Round the corner is the "5 historical streets" area of Tianjin where there is a large collection of nicely preserved historical buildings/architecture. Great for wondering around in the evenings. Apparently these homes/buildings were put up by the various foreign occupying forces at some point in China's history.

Lobby is large and spacious. Bright and airy feel. Upgraded to a high floor deluxe room with full length windows. I think they all do. Modern decor, light color scheme. Generally typical of recent Westins. Bathroom standard amenities, rainforest shower head. Sink area is minimalist, black/dark counters if I recall correctly.

Note that while hotel address is "Nanjing Rd", the lobby does not immediately face the road. Also, the hotel is quite new and not every cab driver knows where it is.

All in all, positive stay experience. Been in and out of so many westins that this one feels just like another one of them which is a big plus in my book.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
I am currently at the Westin Tianjin. It is a fabulous property. Despite high occupancy, I got an excellent upgrade to a renewal suite (80 sq meters). Platinum members are given the choice of having breakfast at the lobby coffee shop or the club loung (which closes on weekends). The welcome gift consisted of a fruit basket - but no wine/chocolate/mineral water... Noise from the street can be a problem at night, even at high floors. Otherwise I have nothing but good experiences to report during this stay - the staff has been fabulous, the decor very nice, F&B outlets excellent.

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
(I could not find any other threads with a review of this recently-opened property so here's my contribution. Mods, if I'm in error, please pardon my rudimentary search skills.)

Modern blue/green steel and glass building, centrally located in downtown Tianjin. Easy taxi ride to any location within the city. About 35-45 mins from the Tianjin airport. About 15-20 mins from the rail station for the Tianjin-Beijing highspeed trains (350kmh!

Round the corner is the "5 historical streets" area of Tianjin where there is a large collection of nicely preserved historical buildings/architecture. Great for wondering around in the evenings. Apparently these homes/buildings were put up by the various foreign occupying forces at some point in China's history.

Lobby is large and spacious. Bright and airy feel. Upgraded to a high floor deluxe room with full length windows. I think they all do. Modern decor, light color scheme. Generally typical of recent Westins. Bathroom standard amenities, rainforest shower head. Sink area is minimalist, black/dark counters if I recall correctly.

Note that while hotel address is "Nanjing Rd", the lobby does not immediately face the road. Also, the hotel is quite new and not every cab driver knows where it is.

All in all, positive stay experience. Been in and out of so many westins that this one feels just like another one of them which is a big plus in my book.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
Did you know you get free a bathology treatment as well. The front desk stuffs seem to forget to mention this very often.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:33 am

Sounds like a nice choice for Tianjin? What category is it? 9 (Yeah I knowI'm lazy)

Last edited by camsean; Oct 4, 2010 at 3:49 am
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
At the hotel now, staying here for 2 nights - one night lowest available rate and 2nd night on C&P.

Was already preupgraded on SPG to a Deluxe Suite (120 m2). The suite is situated on the 19th floor, and it is huge! The living room have a tv section, eating section, separated office, large floor to ceiling windows and half bathroom. And guess what - the suite have a massage chair!!!

The bedroom is huge as well, the same as the attached master bathroom. Large windows in the bathroom as well, so you can lay in the tub and watch the lively city of Tianjin or you can watch the large tv situated directly at the foot of the tub. There are double vanities and also separate rooms for the toilet and the shower. The shower also have a large sitting group, very interesting! Much larger than the shower seat at the LeM in Bangkok.

All windows have electrical blinds and curtains.

The Westin Club lounge is situated on the 20th floor (top floor), and have soft drinks and snacks all day, tea in the afternoon, and happy hour from 5PM till 7PM. There were a decent amount of snacks (including whole pizzas) during happy hour.

Tried the bar and the restaurant - both were fine.

Staff - eager to please

Location - great!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by skrosvik
At the hotel now, staying here for 2 nights - one night lowest available rate and 2nd night on C&P.

Was already preupgraded on SPG to a Deluxe Suite (120 m2). The suite is situated on the 19th floor, and it is huge! The living room have a tv section, eating section, separated office, large floor to ceiling windows and half bathroom. And guess what - the suite have a massage chair!!!

The bedroom is huge as well, the same as the attached master bathroom. Large windows in the bathroom as well, so you can lay in the tub and watch the lively city of Tianjin or you can watch the large tv situated directly at the foot of the tub. There are double vanities and also separate rooms for the toilet and the shower. The shower also have a large sitting group, very interesting! Much larger than the shower seat at the LeM in Bangkok.

All windows have electrical blinds and curtains.

The Westin Club lounge is situated on the 20th floor (top floor), and have soft drinks and snacks all day, tea in the afternoon, and happy hour from 5PM till 7PM. There were a decent amount of snacks (including whole pizzas) during happy hour.

Tried the bar and the restaurant - both were fine.

Staff - eager to please

Location - great!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Thanks for the review! I should give this place a try as well the next time I go over to Tianjin!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Just stayed here this weekend. Paid 700RMB + tax for the Weekend Promotion which included breakfast. As SPG Gold was upgraded to Deluxe Room with Nanjing Rd view.

However, was not offered the Gold amenity on check-in and when asked the receptionist didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Have written to SPG to see what they will do.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Just stayed here this weekend. Paid 700RMB + tax for the Weekend Promotion which included breakfast. As SPG Gold was upgraded to Deluxe Room with Nanjing Rd view.

However, was not offered the Gold amenity on check-in and when asked the receptionist didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Have written to SPG to see what they will do.
What's the response from SPG?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:16 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Westin Tianjin - A Review

The Westin Tianjin

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Westin Tianjin

No.101 Nanjing Road Heping District Tianjin, CN 300040

Westin Tianjin - A Review (11 Photos)

The Westin Tianjin

Check In

I was greeted by Aili at the front counter, an Italian who can speak English. She took me to the counter where Ester checked me in. Ester was perhaps the most unfriendly check-in person I have had the pleasure of dealing with in China. She didn't acknowledge my elite status, thank me for my loyalty, ask me about my welcome gift. It was passport, credit card, and here are your cards. Checking was a 2/5. If Aili wasn't so friendly, it would have been a 0/5.

Room

The room was the Club Level King. It was a good size but quite a bit dated. The wall paper on the right of the wall as you walk into the room was peeling and looked quite bad. It really should be repaired.

I found the bed to be a bit too soft, but I'll take that over a hard bed you find in most Chinese hotels. The King was quite large and the Westin blankets are quite comfortable.

The bathroom was the part of this room I didn't like. You can see in the photos. Having a separate door for the toilet that opens awkwardly for how you get to the toilet in the middle of the night was a bit of a no go for me. The way the bathroom is contructed just doesn't do it for me. I don't like walk through bathrooms unless I am in a suite, and defintely I don't like toilets that are outside the shower area.

Photos:

IMG_2064.jpgIMG_2065.jpgIMG_2066.jpgIMG_2067.jpgIMG_2068.jpgIMG_2069.jpg

Service

The staff were quite friendly outside my checkin person Ester. I didn't have any complaints. The gym/pool area are quite good. I didn't use the pool but I did use the gym.

Photos:

IMG_2074.jpgIMG_2075.jpg

Dining

We used the lounge for the evening happy hour. I was quite disappointed by the offerings. I guess I expected more from the Westin brand, as I have heard a lot of good things. I have had better selections at Courtyards here in Asia.

We did eat breakfast on the 1st floor and the selection was quite nice and the fact that they let elites choose breakfast on the 1st floor or 20th floor lounge was actually a nice feature of this hotel. The staff were friendly in both the lounge and restaurant.

Photos of Lounge:

IMG_2071.jpgIMG_2072.jpgIMG_2073.jpg

The location is pretty killer for visiting historic sites. It is about 1-2KM from the St. Regis, so depending on which area you want to visit, you can choose either hotel.

Overall

Overall, considering the lounge was a bust and this hotel is in the same area as the St. Regis, I have to say the St. Regis was better for room and breakfast, but worse for customer service. If you are trying to make a choice from one of these or the other, the view from the St. Regis is nicer and the rooms are much nicer. The Westin's gym though is better and if that is important to you rather than the room experience, it is something to consider.

Westin Tianjin - A Review

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Tianjin?

No, thank you.
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.