The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda

Old May 19, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
Wow! I assume you pay gratuity in the restaurants on top and also resort fees on top. Can you share how much the resort fees were in addition to the $50/day gratuity?
Accoding to the Fairmont website the resort fees are $13 per person per day.

Gratuity is $10 per person per day when staying in a Fairmont room and double (if I recall correctly) when staying in a suite.

I'm not sure whether taxes apply to the resort fee and the gratuity, but I seem to recall paying $70-$80 per day when using a free night cert - which I didn't find very impressive.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm back from my stay and it did cost me something like $44/day in taxes/gratuities for my "free" room. They did allow me to use my 2 additional dining credits (from having the Premier status off the credit card), so that at least made our $72 breakfasts for 2 actually free.

So if you want to go to Bermuda, the Chase credit card is a good deal. You get 2 free nights, an upgrade to a suite (we got a sea view room the staff called the "honeymoon suite" that goes for more than $750/night this time of year) and what effectively amounts to free breakfast. The hotel isn't exceptional, but it's nice.

That said, Bermuda is a ridiculously expensive place to visit and it doesn't deliver good value. The "Fairmont deal" is just a heck of a lot better than the alternatives. If I get the card again (or my wife gets it), I think we'll use the certs in Hawaii or some other place.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:07 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Fairmont Southampton - Older Hotel in Bermuda but Remains Good Choice For Now

The Fairmont Southampton Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

101 South Shore Road Southampton, Bermuda BM SN 02

Fairmont Southampton - Older Hotel in Bermuda but Remains Good Choice For Now (19 Photos)

I have stayed at Fairmont Southampton in the past but since nobody commented about this property recently, I thought I would do a proper review. 

February-March is low season in Bermuda and I found a very good rate sub-200 USD per night for 2 nights and then added a free night cert to make it 3 nights.  Given that we can receive a new set of certs with only 2 stays in the first six months of 2018, I have plenty of suite upgrades for the next few months so I used one here. 

I had a nice Platinum gift waiting for me in the room: ginger beer and Bermuda black rum, so I enjoyed my Dark & Stormy on arrival. 

20180318_175041.jpg

If you are in Bermuda on vacation and you like the beach, the location of the hotel is great.  You can pre-book the shuttle bus from the airport for $15 each way that takes you directly to the hotel ($30 round-trip).  It is much cheaper than a taxi.  If you are in Bermuda for business, most people go to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess instead because it’s in town.  There is a boat that can bring you from one Fairmont to the other. 

Room

With a suite upgrade cert you get the signature suite.  This room type is just a bit larger (55 sq m) than the regular Fairmont room (41 sq m) and there is no wall separating the bedroom from the living room.  I would say the room is fine, but nothing special.  It is certainly not the best hotel to use of a suite upgrade cert.  However given that I have plenty for 2018, I did not care much to burn one here.  Dollar-wise, in low season by sampling some dates, the signature suite is $60 more than the Fairmont room, and in high season I can see rates around $700 for the Fairmont room and the suite goes for $100-$150 more.  I would say this is indicative that the suite upgrade is not worth as much as some other hotels.

This hotel shows its age (1970s) but has been well kept.  However you cannot change the fact that the room has low ceilings.  Also the view from the signature suite is not exactly the best because the window is besides the working desk; you have to turn to the left to have some water views. 

20180319_141027.jpg

The standard rooms on that side of the hotel are all facing the ocean, but the suite is in the crooked angle of the building so facing the other way (see picture of the exterior of the hotel - about middle of the building). 

20180320_101504.jpg

One consequence of this is that your balcony is less private and more exposed to a few other rooms looking at you.  The shower is in the bathtub which is a mild negative for me.  There is a large closet in the bathroom which can be convenient to some. 

20180318_121008.jpg20180318_121025.jpg20180318_121108.jpg

Water from the tap was fine on the day of my arrival, but on the morning of day 2 there was a lot of air coming out of the faucet with water “exploding” from the tap and it was brown-ish so I was not going to drink from the tap.  In addition there were no complimentary water bottles in the room. 

One issue with the signature suite is that it’s next to the elevator.  In some hotels it’s no big deal, but I could hear a bit of noise from the elevator shaft during the night.  I asked reception the next morning if I could be moved to a different room but unfortunately all signature suites are at the same spot on every floor: next to the elevator.  They were nice enough to upgrade me for free to a Gold floor suite.  The bedroom in that room is separated from the living room by French doors, and the living room is larger overall than the signature suite.  Also the balcony is facing the ocean so the views are nicer. 

20180319_144140.jpg

The other difference with the signature suite is that the bathtub is much larger so taking a shower feels less cramped than the regular size tub in the signature suite.  The Gold suite is away from elevator and I had good sleep there. The downside of this room is that the only window is near the entrance so you do not get natural light at all in the bedroom.

20180319_144126.jpg20180319_144155.jpg20180319_144211.jpg20180319_144233.jpg20180319_144244.jpg20180319_144257.jpg

Dining

My rate included breakfast so I went to the restaurant on the first morning.  Instead of the traditional boring North American style breakfast, I was pleased to find local options such as salted fish and turned cornmeal. 

20180319.jpg

However 20 minutes after I sat down a server came by my table to inform me that I was on the continental breakfast plan so I would have to pay $12 extra because I took hot food.  I guess I should have known the “breakfast rules” because after double-checking, indeed my reservation said continental breakfast.  But I think they should inform the guests what is included in their breakfast before sitting down.  In addition, cappuccino is at an extra charge.  The restaurant is very nice and has views of the Great Sound.  I had a table by the window which was great. 

On the second and third mornings, since I was on the Gold floor I had breakfast in the lounge instead.  Selection is more limited than in the restaurant but it was fine.  Hot options were bacon, Portugese sausage, and quiche. 

You can have desserts in the lounge during the afternoon.  The lounge also has evening canapes from 5pm to 6pm.  They had a few veggies with dipping sauce self-serve, and a mini-burger with corn bread that they bring to your table (not self-serve).  It should be treated as a mini-appetizer only – forget about having something close to a full meal here. 

20180319_160407.jpg

They have free alcohol during that hour and I found the quality of drinks to be excellent and above average for a hotel lounge.  I thought one hour only is a bit stingy however.  You can pay $15 for a glass of wine at other times during the day.  They also have sweets from 8pm to 9pm. 

20180319_190531.jpg

The lounge has great ocean views and some tables on a terrace outside.  It’s a nice place to relax at any time during the day.  I would also note that staff is very friendly and helpful in the lounge. 

20180319_153040.jpg20180319_153607.jpg20180319_153618.jpg

Overall

Bottom line, I recommend the hotel obviously since I am a repeat customer.  However I would note a few things.  This is Bermuda so do not expect everything to be perfect.  I could understand if someone paid $700 for a room in July but experienced a few issues, that they would be upset.  There is not much competition in Bermuda so while this Fairmont is not perfect, I personally think it’s still better than elsewhere.  In addition, as mentioned above I would not use a suite upgrade cert unless you have more than you can use.  If you do not have a cert upgrade, given that the suite is simply a larger room which comes with noise issues, I would not recommend paying $60-$150 more for that room.  I would personally prefer a regular room and save the money.  If you are willing to pay extra, I believe at this hotel the Gold floor is more valuable than the signature suite.  Most rooms on the Gold floor are 41 sq m like standard rooms, but the Gold floor is nice.  A Gold room seems to be $170 more than standard rooms for most dates, so if your rate for the Fairmont room does not include breakfast and if you intend to be in the lounge either in the afternoon or evening, in my opinion a Gold room is better value than paying extra for a signature suite. 

As a final note, keep in mind that there is a Ritz Carlton under construction not far from Fairmont Southampton.  When complete it will provide significant competition to the Fairmont.  I am not sure I will continue to recommend the Fairmont once a newer luxury hotel is open, in addition to the fact that starting next year we will no longer benefit from FPC free night certs to bring the cost down; a free night cert in high season in this property is quite significant.  Also, a St.Regis is also being built on the other side of the island.  While not nearly as advanced as the RC, the StR will further put pressure on the Fairmont.

Fairmont Southampton - Older Hotel in Bermuda but Remains Good Choice For Now

Would you like to write a review on the The Fairmont Southampton Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Great detailed review. Thanks.

Just one thing... I hope you mean the room was 41 square meters, not square feet!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Great detailed review. Thanks.

Just one thing... I hope you mean the room was 41 square meters, not square feet!
Oops, 41 sq m indeed! Thanks for pointing this out - fixed!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the detailed review!^

Interesting that the "happy hour" at the Gold lounge only lasts for 1h. I didn't realize it even existed, but one hour does seem rather stingy.

I guess it gets rather crowded in the lounge during that time?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for the detailed review!^

Interesting that the "happy hour" at the Gold lounge only lasts for 1h. I didn't realize it even existed, but one hour does seem rather stingy.

I guess it gets rather crowded in the lounge during that time?
Indeed, 1 hour is quite short, but with that said I did not expect free alcohol at all so I was rather positively surprised particularly given the quality of the wines available.

A few years ago, in Fairmont Hamilton Princess alcohol was not free at all in the evening in the Gold lounge, which is why I was expecting the same in Southampton. I do not know if things have changed recently in Hamilton or not.

I can imagine that in high season the Gold Lounge would be quite busy from 5pm to 6pm. It's only March and one evening I sat alone at a table for 3 and the staff asked me at 5:30pm if an older couple could sit with me because other tables were occupied. The other night was quieter and lots of seats available.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
Indeed, 1 hour is quite short, but with that said I did not expect free alcohol at all so I was rather positively surprised particularly given the quality of the wines available.

A few years ago, in Fairmont Hamilton Princess alcohol was not free at all in the evening in the Gold lounge, which is why I was expecting the same in Southampton. I do not know if things have changed recently in Hamilton or not.
The Hamilton Princess did not give free alcohol in the lounge as of last month.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:07 pm

Just back from a one week stay at the Fairmont Southampton. We arrived 3rd Saturday of Sept. at about 2pm. The Front desk had quite a line and only two agents handling things. Waited about 15 minutes before we were told our room was not ready. They have a change room and we left our luggage and put on our bathing suits and went to the pool. Had lunch and relaxed for 2 hours and then went and checked in.

We have no status with Accor, and just regular members and were given a room on the first floor overlooking the breakfast restaurant roof and a view looking over toward the Navy Dockyards. The room was fine. Nothing remarkable or any issues with the room. We were next to the stairwell, but didn't hear any noise. Room was quiet and only on our last night did we hear some kids very late one night running down the halls and making noise.

There must have been some South American holiday as the hotel was busy with families from Argentina. After the weekend it was much quieter until Thursday when a conference group showed up. It seems that a lot of folks from NYC spend long weekends on the island as Friday was much busier.

The beach area is nice, with servers that come around to the beach lounges to take food and drink orders. The pool area was never overly crowded except the first weekend. However, for the size of the hotel, the pool area is woefully inadequate in size. But I guess when you have really nice beaches, who spends time at a hotel pool. Still it is an area where this hotel is lacking. There is a nice spa, Willow Stream, which has a nice indoor pool and outdoor pools that for $45 you can use w/o paying for the overpriced spa services. You can use the pool and hot tubs after 9pm, but the other areas are closed to hotel guests.

The fitness center is also small, and was very crowded most mornings. Good variety of free weights, weight machines and tread mills, spinning and elliptical machines. But just not enough equipment.

You can rent scooters at the hotel as well, which we did for a couple days. $55/day for a single plus insurance.

The staff was friendly and we ate at Waterlot, which was very nice, and had drinks and bar food at the Dock. Again it's not cheap. You will pay about $14-$17 for a cocktail, and $12-$17 for a glass of wine. $20 for a burger or fish sandwich, etc. Jasmine's is nice and convenient in the hotel lobby area, and the wait staff were all very nice and friendly. Would stay here again as it's convenient location, with access to Hamilton via ferry. A short hike will get you to several beaches and coves.

If you golf or play tennis, they have nice tennis courts, and Turtle Bay Golf Club is a nice course.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:21 am

Fairmont Southampton - Still my Top Choice in Bermuda

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

101 South Shore Road Southampton, Bermuda BM SN 02

Fairmont Southampton - Still my Top Choice in Bermuda (26 Photos)

I have returned to Fairmont Southampton 10 months after the review I posted previously and I thought I would provide an update. This hotel continues to be the top choice in Bermuda in my opinion.  

Room

As noted before, I do not like the signature suite much at this hotel so I contacted them in advance regarding what could be done with a Platinum suite upgrade certificate to end up in a different room than the signature suite.  In the end I booked a Gold room and they accepted to use the cert to upgrade to a Gold suite, which is not how suite upgrade certs normally work; they were kind enough to be flexible around the standard rules to understand what I was trying to achieve, they ended up earning more revenue because I paid more for my room, and I ended up a happy customer.  Everybody wins.

This was a 6-night stay and because the suite upgrade cert is limited to 5 nights, as a result for the first night we were in the standard gold room with lighthouse view.  This room is ok but views are not as nice as those facing the ocean which sell for marginally more.  Like the hotel in general, the room is well maintained but it is showing its age. Another negative was that water pressure in the shower was abnormally low.  I had not experienced this problem at this hotel in other room types before.

IMG_1657.jpegIMG_1658.jpegIMG_1660.jpegIMG_1669.jpeg

For the next 5 nights we were in a Gold suite different than the one I had last year.  In my previous review the pictures were for the Gold signature suite room type which by the way does not seem to show up on Fairmont.com (it should be priced between the Gold sea view room and the Gold one-bedroom suite).  My pictures below for this year show the Gold one-bedroom suite, which I vastly prefer to the room I had in March 2018.  First off the views are much nicer and you have a balcony in both the bedroom and the living room because both rooms are next to each other given that the design is essentially two connecting rooms.  For this reason, you also get two full bathrooms which is very convenient.  My Gold signature suite last year only had one bathroom.  The bathroom in the Gold lighthouse view room and both bathrooms in the one-bedroom suite were all identical except that I did not have water pressure issues in the suite.  The other advantage of the Gold one-bedroom suite is that since you have large patio doors in both the living room and bedroom, you get great natural light everywhere, unlike my room last year where the bedroom was quite dark.  You also get more storage space in the one-bedroom suite: there is a large walk-in closet on the bedroom side, and two more closets on the living room side.  The total size of the one-bedroom suite is a bit more than double the size of a standard room double because the wall of the living room is at an angle making the room wider near the TV than at the patio door.  There is a DVD player in both the bedroom and living room, and there is also a mini-fridge in the bedroom which was useful to store cold items without having to empty the minibar.  My overall takeaway is that they gave me quite a generous upgrade for my suite upgrade cert: not only the cert was not intended to be for gold rooms, but also they gave me the nicer suite category.  This does not go unnoticed and goes a long way to attract a repeat customer like myself even when suite upgrade certs will no longer exist thanks to Accor.

IMG_1672.jpegIMG_1674.jpegIMG_1676.jpegIMG_1677.jpegIMG_1678.jpegIMG_1679.jpegIMG_1730.jpeg

Dining

The Gold lounge was considerably quieter in January than it was in March.  March is low season in Bermuda, but January is even more so.  Last year the lounge was quite full during happy hour but this year the lounge was more than half empty and at times we were completely alone, particularly for breakfast.  

IMG_1661.jpeg

Breakfast in the Gold Lounge was excellent again; some items are on a rotation every day.  For example the hot options offered were a local sausage and sautéed veggies dish, banana French toast, fried eggs on hash browns, and my favorite: fish cake benedict which was wonderful.  Unlike some Marriott and Hyatt hotels where if you get lounge access you are limited to breakfast in the lounge (not the restaurant), here you can ask for a breakfast voucher in the lounge and get free breakfast in the restaurant.  This makes the price difference between a standard room without breakfast and a Gold room less than it appears especially if you would intend to pay for breakfast when booking the standard room.  On Saturdays and Sundays the restaurant has special breakfast offers for example boiled cod which was good.  

IMG_1666.jpegIMG_1668.jpegIMG_1708.jpegIMG_1723.jpegIMG_1728.jpeg

In the evening for happy hour it is pretty much the same as last year.  Good drinks, a small hot appetizer brought from the kitchen (not self-serve) and some cold options at the buffet. Examples of appetizers served: beef and tomato skewers, mac & cheese balls, lasagna, chicken tempura + meatballs, etc.  Appetizers and drinks are still only one hour from 5pm to 6pm, but something I did not realize last year when I stayed at Fairmont Southampton is that drinks are free in the Gold lounge for one hour only as a winter promotion from around mid November until the end of March.  If you stay in other months, alcohol is available all day in the lounge but you need to pay even between 5pm and 6pm.

IMG_1662.jpegIMG_1663.jpegIMG_1664.jpegIMG_1680.jpegIMG_1726.jpegIMG_1738.jpeg

There are also desserts in the lounge from 2:30pm to 4pm for afternoon tea and in the evening from 8pm to 9pm.  

IMG_1727.jpeg

Platinum Welcome Gift

The Platinum gift this year was more of the sweet kind than the alcoholic kind.  On top of it I got two Accor drinks coupons at the bar which I did not get last year.

IMG_1665.jpg

Gym

The fitness gym has good variety of equipment but it is relatively old and is not exactly my favorite gym.  Back in March it was quite crowded in the morning but this time around we were almost alone, in line with the rest of the hotel being quiet.  

IMG_1681.jpeg

Overall

Last year I noted the upcoming competition from Ritz Carlton.  This construction project was halted for several months due to funding issues (and has only recently resumed), so Fairmont remains the top choice for the foreseeable future in my opinion.  The St.Regis in St.Georges is still under construction with a planned opening in 2021 but I think they might face funding headwinds like the Ritz - time will tell. Until then, the only viable competitor to Fairmont is the Rosewood hotel.  In some ways Rosewood is better than Fairmont because it’s newer and has better hardware than Fairmont.  However location is not as good unless you are a golfer.  Also maybe Rosewood is not too bad if you don’t mind not having a beach within walking distance.  In addition the fact that Rosewood does not have a loyalty program is a turn off for me, and Rosewood does not have a lounge.  So Rosewood could work for some folks, but it is not a viable option for me. 

So in the short to medium term I will continue enjoying Fairmont Southampton and I do not see any better alternative for my purposes until 2021 at the very least.

Fairmont Southampton - Still my Top Choice in Bermuda

Would you like to write a review on the The Fairmont Southampton Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:58 am

@escape4 Thanks for the amazing review, me and the gf are heading there for thanksgiving and I just decided to make the request to upgrade to the sea view suite as we've already booked the base gold room. Also glad to hear its quieter and there is free alcohol, even if it is for one hour. Although we're most likely going to pick something up at the duty free store before we leave anyways.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any post COVID reviews?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Any post COVID reviews?
Reservations suspended through June 30. Airport is closed and commercial flights will not resume prior to July 1.

https://www.fairmont.com/southampton...avirus-update/
Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: LX HON, FB Platinum for life, Sixt/Hilton Diamond
After reading the reviews I found a great deal to go to this Fairmont in November, via Booking.com. I asked the hotel directly, to make me a similar offer so I could book directly but only got a reply redirecting me to their best-rate guarantee (not incl. offers from Booking.com). Makes me wonder, why aren't they interested to let me book directly? Always thought this was beneficial for the property...
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:16 pm

The hotel is now closed for extensive renovations and will not reopen until 2022.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.