Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 3hearts
We recently stayed here for 2 nights. The suite cert got us the Bali Suite in the main building - very spacious (the walk in closet was bigger than my first college dorm room!). 1 bathroom that was on the small side. We didn't notice any street noise that others complained of. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've had, however, they would not allow us to apply our dining/spa certs. I don't recall seeing this in the terms anywhere, but I could have missed it. Beautiful old hotel, great service, would definitely stay here again.
Per the T&C, dining certs cannot be used for breakfast, though that clause isn't often enforced.

If I may ask: Is the Bali suite a one-bedroom Main Building Suite or a Main Building Balcony Suite?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:19 pm

My experience at sf is that they absolutely will not apply the certs towards breakfast.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Per the T&C, dining certs cannot be used for breakfast, though that clause isn't often enforced.

If I may ask: Is the Bali suite a one-bedroom Main Building Suite or a Main Building Balcony Suite?
It is a one-bedroom Main Building Suite, 5th floor if I recall correctly.

My bad for missing the language about breakfast, however, the Santa Monica and Kea Lani locations were much more flexible about using the certs.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:41 pm

Yes. SF is the only real stickler in the bunch it seems.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:47 pm

Looks like they've added renamed some rooms to Junior Suite?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Looks like they've added renamed some rooms to Junior Suite?
You're right.

Based on the rooms' size it seems like the Deluxe / Signature rooms in the Main Building have been re-named / re-configured as Junior Suites.

Hopefully this won't affect the ability to use a suite upgrade cert towards a one-bedroom suite.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
You're right.

Based on the rooms' size it seems like the Deluxe / Signature rooms in the Main Building have been re-named / re-configured as Junior Suites.

Hopefully this won't affect the ability to use a suite upgrade cert towards a one-bedroom suite.
Anyone with recent experience of what the suite cert now books into?
Old May 8, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Planning to visit San Francisco around August ..... First timer at SF.

I wonder if Fairmont SF location is good for exploring SF?
Will be using public transport or foot

And also ... compare to Ritz Carlton SF and St Regis SF, which property is better?
(check from google map, it seems like the 3 properties are close to each other)

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by kaizen7

And also ... compare to Ritz Carlton SF and St Regis SF, which property is better?

Thanks!
I'd say the Fairmont is one of the best located of those three you mention. the St. Regis is nice, but south of market (it's not really a great area, not touristy unless you're heading to the ball games). The Ritz is fine, but if one is a FPC I'd go with Fairmont. The Fairmont is at the top of the hill, it's right on cable car lines and it's an easy jaunt down to the Marina, towards union square (about three blocks), and it's just a great location.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7

Thanks!
Fairmont & Ritz Carlton are basically next door to each other and are both very well-located. You can walk to a lot of interesting neighborhoods, if you don't mind walking up and down steep hills. Otherwise, there are buses and cable cars.

St. Regis is on flat land but is in SOMA and not as well-located. However, SF is a small and walkable city. Even from St. Regis, you can walk (or take public transport) to a lot of neighborhoods.
SPN Lifer and kaizen7 like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:53 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Just spent four nights in the Tower. Service was excellent, food was good in-room, and at the "Tonga Room" and "Laurel Court." My wife will consider staying at no other hotel in San Francisco.

View from 2207
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:58 pm

Anyone know if the suite cert gets a real suite or a Jr suite?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:34 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Fairmont San Francisco

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

950 Mason Street Atop Nob Hill San Francisco, CA US 94108

Fairmont San Francisco (3 Photos)

San Francisco is our favorite city, and the Fairmont is the only hotel we'll stay at there.  While there are members of this forum who have much more experience with a variety of high-quality rooms at this hotel, there is no review to put the hotel "on the map."  I have stayed here three times, always in the same type of room.

What we like about this hotel is its location, the friendly and comprehensive service, and the unobstructed views from the Golden Gate Bridge to the TransAmerica Pyramid.

Check In

1_IMG_7214.jpg

The front desk staff was courteous and professional.  Our assigned room was not ready when we arrived (early), and I am glad we did not opt for an available room on a lower floor.

Room

We had a Signature Bay View King Tower Room, and had agreed to pay $100 per night extra for a high floor.  Our room was on the 22nd floor, which is the next from the top for rooms.  (We were only charged the $100 the last night, which was a "free" night.)

The room features an arm chair and a comfortable desk chair.  The bed was very nice, and the bathroom was beautiful and functional.IMG_7123.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

Service

Everyone from the bell staff to the housekeepers was friendly and thorough. 

Dining

We had room service and dined at both restaurants.  The food was good (with one minor exception), but not over-the-top.

We had a pot of coffee delivered to our room every morning, and the service was always prompt and courteous.  The coffee was tasty, generous, and nicely presented.  We had a couple dinners in our room, and all the food was fine except an order of  "Loaded Nachos," which had barely any cheese and just a few black beans rolling around.

I honestly can't remember what I had at the Laurel Court, but the service was good and the restaurant is beautiful.

We went to the Tonga Room on our last night, and were seated promptly at a "waterfront" table ahead of several walk-in copuples off the street.  This restaurant is built around an unused swimming pool, with a Polynesian motif and occasional monsoon showers into the "lagoon."  The food was okay, and the service was very friendly.  We were somewhat disappointed when a band showed up wearing Aloha shirts (and set up on a thatched-roof boat in the pool)--we were hoping for Hawaiian music, but instead were serenaded with pop tunes.

Of course, the top of Nob Hill can't be beat for views!  It's also a good neighborhood, with sufficient shops, several restaurants, and a park.

Nearby Grace Cathedral is incredible, and there's plenty of mobility with transit, including both cable car lines.

Overall

I would describe my travel style as "Domestic First Class."  I've been all over the USA, and to a few places internationally.  We traveled to San Francisco from Seattle on a train in a Bedroom that cost as much as a night at the Fairmont, but there is some discomfort and inconvenience associated with train travel.  I find everything at the Fairmont to be what I expect for a "First Class" experience.

Fairmont San Francisco

Would you like to write a review on the The Fairmont San Francisco?

No, thank you.
Yes
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
Le Club Welcome Drink at Fairmont San Francisco

I haven't seen anyone posted about the Le Club Welcome Drink at Fairmont San Francisco:

You will get the welcome drink voucher at check-in for use at either Laurel Court Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar. Present the voucher to server for a special menu.
The choices are:
Soft drink
Selected red/white wine
Draft Beer
Cocktail -- Gin and Tonic, Pomegranate Paloma, Old Fashioned.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pollyG
I haven't seen anyone posted about the Le Club Welcome Drink at Fairmont San Francisco:

You will get the welcome drink voucher at check-in for use at either Laurel Court Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar. Present the voucher to server for a special menu.
The choices are:
Soft drink
Selected red/white wine
Draft Beer
Cocktail -- Gin and Tonic, Pomegranate Paloma, Old Fashioned.
Thanks for sharing. ^

It's interesting to see that they seem to be following the Accor model of "pre-selecting" drink choices / crating a "special menu".

The handful of Fairmont hotels that already had drink vouchers used to offer "any drink off the menu" incl. any cocktail, beer, long drink and any (sparkling) wine by the glass (generally excluding French champagne and top shelf liquor).

But assuming they included some decent white / red wine options on the "special menu", it still sounds decent..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.